The summer 2024 anime season has already started. What's up for streaming?

Hopefully all the best anime is up for streaming. Unfortunately for the spring, my favorite anime of the season did not get any significant streaming deals outside of Japan. Go sale the seven seas and watch Girls Band Cry. It's only the best musical drama I've seen in I don't know how long.

That's neither here nor there, though, we've got some anime that jumped the gun and have already started airing this month. What's up with that? You've got...

The first of two anime this year featuring an alien invasion and a ton of Ds in the title with Dead Dead Demons Dededede Destruction. This series is ALREADY five episodes in on Crunchyroll...

There's another thread for this series, but we've also already got three episodes of Suicide Squad Isekai up on Hulu and Max. For those that care, there's no English dub yet which is very surprising for an American property...

Thinking back to the unlicensed Girls Band Cry, is this actually a Shonen Jump series scheduled to air in just a week that still has no streaming partners? There's a pun in the title there, but I'll leave it to someone else to make with The Elusive Samurai...

As for anime that's actually airing in July, we've got a vampire that wants to hit it big on YouTube on Mayonaka Punch...

A YouTuber that actually does, well as the title says: VTuber Legend: How I Went Viral after Forgetting to Turn Off My Stream...

Not everything is about getting noticed, though. You've got Alya Sometimes Hides Her Feelings in Russian...

And sometimes these women don't have to hide their feelings because they don't even have them like in My Wife Has No Emotions...

Strangely, there's a lot of love triangles this season. Love is Indivisible by Twins has a guy in love with a pair of twins...

How about a trans-girl that finds themselves stuck between a new girl that loves them as either male or female and a male childhood friend that maybe always had feelings for them, long before they started wearing a dress in Senpai is an Otokonoko...

Speaking of complicated love lives, we've got the shy kid in school just out there gathering a harem of all the heartbroken girls in school with Makeine: Too Many Losing Heroines!...

Speaking of unhealthy harems... We've got this girl in love with her classmate that wants a harem of his own...so she Miss Doubtfire's an entire harem for him in Pseudo Harem...

We've got some normal anime with My Deer Friend Nokotan. Wait, that's not a typo, that is supposed to say Deer, so maybe not so normal after all and maybe actually batshit insane...

We do have some action on the way. Way out in August, we'll have Terminator Zero...

If August is too far away there's Tower of God season 2 coming up soon...

There's also a second season of NieR:Automata Ver1.1a...

Not the most exciting of anime seasons, but there looks to be something for everyone.

I'm definitely doing Tower of God and Suicide Squad Isekai. Mayonaka Punch looks fun. Dead Dead Demons Dededede Destruction might be pretty good. Senpai is an Otokonoko might be good, but I worry it might be more depressing than I'm up for right now. I might try out one of the many other romcoms, though. I guess we'll see how things shake out.

• Halal 1
  • Hype 1

Shocked the Elusive Samurai does not have a streaming partner because it’s from the same person who did Assassination Classroom which I thought was decently popular over here. The premise isn’t bad but I definitely fell off reading it. 

Looking like a really rough summer season, which is fine since I'm always playing catch up anyway. I did finally finish the first season of the Rurouni Kenshin reboot and the first season of Nier: Automata so I'll definitely be checking out Automata season 2. I'm watching Pluto right now, which has been fantastic so far from a season or two ago. I'm definitely curious about Suicide Squad Isekai and Rick and Morty: The Anime is dropping this season too (how did you miss this @Ghost_MH? :p) and as a big Rick and Morty fan I'll definitely be watching that one. My Hero Academia season 7 also drops this season but I'll wait until most of it is out before jumping in but that's also another definite must watch for me. Only four anime shows (two of which are new seasons of old shows) means it's slim pickings for this season but there's still plenty from the spring season to check out like Train to the End of the World, Yatagarasu, Kaiju No. 8 and more.

There are movies and ONA's to consider as well. As mentioned in the OP, I'm definitely interested in Dead Dead Demon's Dededede Destruction, the movie versions already got great reviews and now we're getting the TV edition. As a Terminator fan I'll also be watching Terminator: Zero which could be really good thanks to Production I.G's involvement. A straight up animated drama film called Look Back recently came out getting good reviews that I have my eye on as well. And it's been over three years since Space Battleship Yamato material came out but we're finally getting a full season 3 with the movie versions (which always come out before the TV edition down the road) of Be Forever Yamato: Rebel 3199 starting to come out, with movie 1 (of 7) dropping this month. It usually takes them 2 years to get all seven movies out if seasons 1+2 are anything to go by so I'll wait until July 2026 to watch these once they are all out and dubbed (hopefully) but still great to finally see this coming out. Science Saru is also dropping a movie in August, The Colors Within, which I'm sure will be worth keeping an eye on as well. And that's pretty much it for the 2024 summer anime season. Once everything comes out we'll see what hidden gems (if any) there were. 

• stepee 1

This also has nothing to do with anything this summer, but I'm just excited to see this anime get a reboot...

I was literally just talking about this series a couple months back. I recently picked up a Combined Rayearth model kit and thought the old series was WAY ahead of their time and I'd bet it would reach a larger audience today than it did back in 1994. 1994 maybe wasn't quite ready for magical girl mecha isekai.

2 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

This also has nothing to do with anything this summer, but I'm just excited to see this anime get a reboot...

It's been interesting to see that even in the anime industry they're doing many remakes and reboots of older properties the last decade, from Urusei Yatsura to Space Battleship Yamato to Legend of Galactic Heroes to Rurouni Kenshin to this. With live-action Hollywood films, this trend has mostly sucked, but with anime, it can be kind of good to sometimes get a more complete, less filler-filled adaptation of the original manga with new animation. Whether that turns out to be better than the original show isn't a guarantee but I don't mind going to the the remake/reboot well in anime compared to other industries.

2 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

It's been interesting to see that even in the anime industry they're doing many remakes and reboots of older properties the last decade, from Urusei Yatsura to Space Battleship Yamato to Legend of Galactic Heroes to Rurouni Kenshin to this. With live-action Hollywood films, this trend has mostly sucked, but with anime, it can be kind of good to sometimes get a more complete, less filler-filled adaptation of the original manga with new animation. Whether that turns out to be better than the original show isn't a guarantee but I don't mind going to the the remake/reboot well in anime compared to other industries.

That would be the case with Magical Knight Rayearth. The manga, especially the ending, has never been properly adapted. This should, hopefully, rectify it.

Also, Rumiko Takahashi is rolling in it these days.

I'm guessing the Urusei Yatsura reboot had been a huge success. Ranma 1/2 is the obvious series to reboot, especially if they decide to give the series a proper ending. That said, I think I'd actually rather see a Maison Ikkoku reboot as long as the reboot is extra 70s/80s Japan. I'd be down for a nice slice of life romcom anime set in the late 70s/early 80s.

• Hype 1

On 6/30/2024 at 10:36 PM, Brian said:

Shocked the Elusive Samurai does not have a streaming partner because it’s from the same person who did Assassination Classroom which I thought was decently popular over here. The premise isn’t bad but I definitely fell off reading it. 

And Crunchyroll has picked it up. They just dropped a trailer a whole three days ahead of its first episode.

Crunchyroll has pretty much carried every other Cloverworks series, so I was surprised it took so long to announce this one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Last night I was going through my things and found an old DVD I got probably 24 years ago. 

It's a movie called Grave of the fireflies. I remember thinking it was extremely touching back then but don't remember much else. Any of you guys see this?

6 minutes ago, Best said:

Last night I was going through my things and found an old DVD I got probably 24 years ago. 

It's a movie called Grave of the fireflies. I remember thinking it was extremely touching back then but don't remember much else. Any of you guys see this?

It's pretty much on the essentials to see once. It's a Studio Ghibli movie so also making it somewhat essential to see.

And then you feel too sad to watch it ever again. :p

2 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

It's pretty much on the essentials to see once. It's a Studio Ghibli movie so also making it somewhat essential to see.

And then you feel too sad to watch it ever again. :p

Well it definitely made an impact because I remember it being a touching experience. I don't think I want to watch it again if it's that sad. My life is sad enough. :p

1 hour ago, Best said:

Not just essential anime viewing. I think it's one of the best WW2 films of all time, regardless of medium. 

It's also the movie that that caused my mother to call anime "those sad cartoons" way back when.

Just now, Ghost_MH said:

Not just essential anime viewing. I think it's one of the best WW2 films of all time, regardless of medium. 

It's also the movie that that caused my mother to call anime "those sad cartoons" way back when.

I don't think it's a good idea that I watch it. Especially at my current state mentally. 

1 minute ago, Best said:

I don't think it's a good idea that I watch it. Especially at my current state mentally. 

Grave of the Fireflies is NOT a hopeful film. It's a war sucks and people might feel sympathy for the children affected by it in aggregate, but nobody really cares about any one individual child. 

Studio Ghibli has some great hopeful movies where folks are literally cheering in the end. GotF is not one of them.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Given what happens in the movie and what happened to you I could see it being pretty devastating for you.

I forget what happened in it but I'll take your word for it. Thanks. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Brian said:

I get why Elusive Samurai was not picked up right away. It is surprisingly gory for a Shonen. The art and animation is top tier though. Easily one of my favorites this summer. 

I understood it as soon we got a child being beaten and given a death sentence.

Unrelated, looks like one of Netflix's and Crunchyroll's localization partners was hacked and we wound up being near/full season leaks for anime like Dandadan, Terminator, Arcane, Re:Zero, and Ranma 1/2. What disaster. I hope this doesn't fuck with their Netflix's metrics and lead them to cutting funding for sequel seasons for any of their stuff.

WWW.THEWRAP.COM

Netflix and Crunchyroll titles leaked on social media, with full episodes of shows released including “Heartstopper” Season 3, "Arcane"

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Well you're in luck. It's coming to Netflix next month. If you can even make it through the trailer 😭

I can't. Thanks for the heads up though.