Batman: Caped Crusader (Amazon Prime | August 1) - update (07/31): Opening Title Sequence and Rotten Tomatoes score

Love the original series and the trailer worked really nicely with that moody music too. Plus he ain’t ever gonna top KC but I don’t mind the voice they are using. So thanks you Amazon for picking this up to series from HBO Max/MAX fuck up

• Hype 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Batman: Caped Crusader (Amazon Prime | August 1) - new Bruce Timm animated series
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Batman: Caped Crusader (Amazon Prime | August 1) - update (07/31): Opening Title Sequence and Rotten Tomatoes score

Watched the first episode and I'll definitely be watching more, but I wasn't blown away. The animation feels very low rent and is saved by the art style. I'm also really not sold on the voices of Batman and Alfred, but maybe they'll grow on me. I liked that the setting means that Batman's detective work feels more procedural than most modern Batman iterations, which have an almost Star Trek like dependence on magic technology.

Watched the first 3 episodes and have enjoyed them so far. The animation is close-ish to animated series, but so clean looking being all computer animated. I like our Batman voice, and he has a great K.C. playboy Bruce Wayne swagger voice. Also like the fact Bruce only does the playboy voice around those who don’t know he’s Batman. They really play up that Bruce Wayne is the disguise, and he’s BATMAN. 

HOLY FUCK ON THE COMMERCIALS!!! I didn’t even get this many watch The Boys, and that’s like 3 times the length of these episodes.

1 hour ago, silentbob said:

Watched the first 3 episodes and have enjoyed them so far. The animation is close-ish to animated series, but so clean looking being all computer animated. I like our Batman voice, and he has a great K.C. playboy Bruce Wayne swagger voice. Also like the fact Bruce only does the playboy voice around those who don’t know he’s Batman. They really play up that Bruce Wayne is the disguise, and he’s BATMAN. 

HOLY FUCK ON THE COMMERCIALS!!! I didn’t even get this many watch The Boys, and that’s like 3 times the length of these episodes.

ublock origin still works to block the ads, you don't even get any awkward hitches as it moves through the ad spots, it's just completely like it was pre-ads

7 hours ago, Jason said:

ublock origin still works to block the ads, you don't even get any awkward hitches as it moves through the ad spots, it's just completely like it was pre-ads

I watch it through my XSX system. So I don’t think this would work for me

15 hours ago, silentbob said:

I agree that they’re really ramping up the commercials. Invincible was one pre-roll commercial, The Boys had a bit, but I’m getting pre-rolls and usually 3 mid-episode, sometimes two commercial breaks per episode. Worse than just that though, is on my Apple TV it seems like the commercials are just randomly placed and sometimes make me miss some of the actual show. They’ll start halfway through a sentence and when they’re over I sometimes have had to go back a few seconds to get the whole conversation. 

They’re definitely still figuring out their ad tech. I definitely watch less on Prime now because of it.

As for the show, I continue to enjoy it. I think Batman works really well in this time period, and it’s kind of nice to be back in a universe where superheroes are a novelty and not a given. I hope it gets enough viewership that they can get more budget for another season.

20 hours ago, silentbob said:

my favorite part is they break for ads in mid sentence when the show has transitions between scenes that could be used. 

Its a tricky show.. the overall aesthetic looks like the old animated series, but all the character designs are completely different… even shows like The Batman took variations of the BTAS style.. this is very different and may be a short time to adjust…

The female Penguin didnt bother me so much because the character itself is memorable because some of the folks that have portrayed it and not for the character itself… Truth be told several Bat-villains would almost get a boost in interpretation by switching a factor like gender..

I finished the season on Friday night and really did enjoy it quite a bit!

It definitely lives in the very long shadow cast by BTAS (and let's face it - just about every animated superhero series does!), but I think that it managed to carve out enough of its own identity in both tone and substance to at least partially emerge from that shadow if given enough time...and budget. 

And, man, does this show desperately need to have its animation budget increased significantly for the next season.  Someone give that animation team a raise for pulling off what they managed to with what genuinely appears to have been little more than a shoestring budget.

But what this series really did was make me absolutely want a Batman video game set in this era and with this art style!

4 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

But what this series really did was make me absolutely want a Batman video game set in this era and with this art style!

I could definitely go for that. Even a live action movie to set it apart from what we've seen lately would be fun. 

Still havent finished the season yet, but I am noticing a major difference between this show and TAS. Many of the villains in TAS were sympathetic in some way. Tragic really. They had a no good very bad day, and when it happened it broke them. 

in this show they are bad people through and through. Dent is already behaving like “evil Harvey”. 

Batman is also a bit of an asshole. He’s a dick to Alfred and when we had that flashback to Alfred being woken up by young Bruce, they made him look like a little psychopath. lol 

Montoya is probably my favorite character so far. 

I feel like this show could really use a Paul Dini. His contributions feel missed. 

3 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Still havent finished the season yet, but I am noticing a major difference between this show and TAS. Many of the villains in TAS were sympathetic in some way. Tragic really. They had a no good very bad day, and when it happened it broke them. 

in this show they are bad people through and through. Dent is already behaving like “evil Harvey”. 

That's probably largely a function of this being a 10 episode season where there simply isn't enough space to give that degree of depth to the villains.