DRDR: Dead Rising Deluxe Remaster (PC/PS5/Xbox Series) - reviews from OpenCritic posted

lul at the Smash Bros esque reveal of the main character :p

Dead Rising is such a time capsule. Kinda open world but not really, a lot of what it attempted has been iterated on in other open world games since and a lot ended up being scrapped because it either derped or gamers wanted the game to be something it wasn’t really trying to be in the first place.

Hopefully they can address some of the stuff that was just bad, like survivor AI, without messing with what makes the original so unique.

• Hype 2

That’s one way to reboot the series, makes sense. The big Frank West reveal is kinda funny since they did case zero and DR4 already for the big return to Frank West. I would have been more surprised if it was Chuck. 

Definitely pumped to see the series back though. Hopefully this does gang busters and they do a new DR but also remake DR2 because that is one of my favorite gaming environments and I’d love to see that with 2024 paint.

I loved Dead Rising. I've really liked all of them, though I never played 4. I got the edition that came with mistletoe held by a zombie hand and actually still use it as part of my Christmas decorations to this day though.

With Capcom's recent track record I'm looking forward to this.

• stepee 2

20 hours ago, jaethos said:

I loved Dead Rising. I've really liked all of them, though I never played 4. I got the edition that came with mistletoe held by a zombie hand and actually still use it as part of my Christmas decorations to this day though.

With Capcom's recent track record I'm looking forward to this.

4 is a really bizarre game. It really leans into stuff that was always on the periphery of the franchise as its main focus, the tone is bizarre, and it's one of the darkest games I've ever played. Not dark like moody, dark like... it's often dark and difficult to see things. I don't think it's a bad game straight up or anything, it's just... weird.

• True 1

11 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

4 is a really bizarre game. It really leans into stuff that was always on the periphery of the franchise as its main focus, the tone is bizarre, and it's one of the darkest games I've ever played. Not dark like moody, dark like... it's often dark and difficult to see things. I don't think it's a bad game straight up or anything, it's just... weird.

With all the dlc it’s even weirder. Some strange shit in Frank’s big package. Makes it even better. I think getting the complete edition now has a lot of fun gameplay to be had and it’s a great christmas game

STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Dead Rising returns with modern graphics in this Deluxe Remaster!

September 19th digital/nov physical - current gen only. Full graphic revamp in RE engine. Looks real good. QOL improvements, auto save etc. Should have either called it a Remake or honestly just Dead Rising Deluxe I think would be better.

I really liked some of the gameplay mechanics of the first one, like having to choose between two objectives because you didn't have time to do both. And technically the game was a rogue-like before rogue-like was even really a term. I remember not being able to get very far at all and running out of time, then starting over from the beginning with a more leveled up character and getting a little but further.

I can't decide if the series got better or worse once they started to get away from that. But out of all four, I honestly think that DR3 was my favorite. It just felt different. The camera was a bit closer to the action, the weapons were way wackier, and some of the vehicles that you got were awesome.

DR4 was weird. And not weird in a content sense. It was weird because it was a DR game, and you did DR stuff, but it didn't feel like a DR game in the slightest. The camera was really far back, the psychopaths weren't very interesting, and the combat and weapons weren't nearly as fun as DR3. There was just something missing from DR4, and it never really hit the mark that the others did. Obviously they were trying to go back to the series' roots, but it never really got there. DR3 was pretty gritty with it's closer camera. You could see all the detail. Then with DR4 it was kinda cartoony again.

Man, I'm really getting the itch to marathon these now.

• Halal 1

12 hours ago, stepee said:
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Dead Rising returns with modern graphics in this Deluxe Remaster!

September 19th digital/nov physical - current gen only. Full graphic revamp in RE engine. Looks real good. QOL improvements, auto save etc. Should have either called it a Remake or honestly just Dead Rising Deluxe I think would be better.

Yeah but then you couldn’t call it DURR DURR

• True 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Game Information

Game Title: Dead Rising Deluxe Remaster

Platforms:

• Xbox Series X/S (Sep 18, 2024)
  • PlayStation 5 (Sep 18, 2024)
  • PC (Sep 18, 2024)

Developer: Capcom

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 80 average - 79% recommended

Critic Reviews

Spoiler

Cinelinx - Caleb Gayle - 5 / 5

Dead Rising Deluxe Remaster is a stellar experience from start to finish. From the music, story, comedic touch, and of course zombie killing action, Capcom has yet again hit it out of the park.

The Games Machine - Daniele Cucchiarelli - Italian - 9.1 / 10

Dead Rising was a masterpiece in 2006 and even more so in 2024. Capcom has overhauled the game in every part, bringing it back to life in a double guise, able to please lovers of the edgy, original chapter but also those who want a more current and 'comfortable' experience. In both cases, you will be faced with one of the craziest and most entertaining trash-horror games ever.

AnaitGames - Víctor Manuel Martínez García - Spanish - 9 / 10

Almost twenty years after its premiere, the modern zombie classic returns to the front line with a new and careful edition that blurs the line between remaster and remake.

But Why Tho? - Abdul Saad - 9 / 10

While not without its issues, Dead Rising Deluxe Remaster is an impeccable remaster that feels more like a remake and offers hours of great entertainment.

Enternity.gr - Konstantinos Kalkanis - Greek - 9 / 10

Dead Rising Deluxe Remaster shows that this was probably the best course Capcom could have taken in making this game.

Gameliner - Bram Noteboom - Dutch - 4.5 / 5

Capcom expertly revives the 2006 classic with nostalgic charm and modern Quality of Life improvements, cementing its role as a top-tier action zombie game despite some outdated elements and minor content changes.

God is a Geek - Sean Smith - 9 / 10

Dead Rising Deluxe Remaster is a stunning remaster, taking a beloved game and making it relevant and vital for modern players.

MonsterVine - Spencer Legacy - 4.5 / 5

Dead Rising Deluxe Remaster is, for the most part, a strong revisit of one of Capcom’s classic titles. The new improvements are excellent, and the small problems aren’t enough to derail the experience. The original game is still widely accessible on current consoles regardless, but I recommend checking out Dead Rising Deluxe Remaster if you’re fond of the original or looking for a unique new experience, as there’s nothing quite like it.

Press Start - James Mitchell - 9 / 10

Dead Rising: Deluxe Remaster does a tremendous job of balancing the original game's identity with the expectations of a modern audience without sacrificing depth or complexity. It's a genuinely fantastic remaster, with great quality-of-life improvements that only make the experience better for players. It's easily the best way to play Dead Rising and the perfect distillation of what made the series so compelling.

Stevivor - Steve Wright - 9 / 10

All up, Dead Rising Deluxe Remaster felt like going home for this veteran player. And with a retail price of only $70 AUD, it's all the better.

TheGamer - George Foster - 4.5 / 5

Even if Dead Rising Deluxe Remaster tones down the diamond-sharp edges of the original game a little too much, every single change ultimately works towards making it unarguably the best way to experience Dead Rising, especially for a long-time fan who wants to revisit Willamette in a more approachable game.

TheSixthAxis - Nick Petrasiti - 9 / 10

For those that didn't experience Dead Rising back in the day, you are in for a treat. While not much has changed on the surface, Dead Rising Deluxe Remaster goes so far beyond just giving the game a fresh lick of paint, tightening up gameplay, reimagining parts of the world, but still making for a damn fine and fun game to play. Go get 'em Frank, your time is not done!

GAMES.CH - Fabrice Henz - German - 88%

Quote not yet available

Hobby Consolas - David Rodriguez - Spanish - 85 / 100

Dead Rising Deluxe Remaster is a revamped version of a game we've been missing. Frank West's adventure is still as fun as ever and now you can enjoy it like never before. The playable improvements are more than welcome and the graphical plot stands out much more than expected. Let's kill zombies!

PSX Brasil - Portuguese - 85 / 100

Quote not yet available

WellPlayed - Mark Isaacson - 8.5 / 10

Dead Rising Deluxe Remaster does enough to warrant its existence, ensuring the original experience remains gleefully intact with new quality-of-life improvements and a lavish visual upgrade in tow. It's maybe not quite as deluxe as it could be, but it remains as good as it always has been.

Checkpoint Gaming - Charlie Kelly - 8 / 10

Dead Rising Deluxe Remaster is a great time largely thanks to the simple fact that the original game is so solid and timeless. It's still to this day a riotous schlockfest drenched in shopping mall Americana as you raid gun stores, run over psychos with a shopping cart or suplex a zombie. This all makes for some of the best and most joyful arcadey zombie-killing gameplay we've had to date, made better by a healthy dose of quality-of-life additions in NPC AI improvements and third-person handling. Though not all of the mall's residents fare the absolute best in their HD upscaling it is worth it for how gorgeously bloody and grisly the halls of that shopping district are. It's so damn good to be back as Frank West and this scoop is one well worth investigating.

Game Rant - Dalton Cooper - 4 / 5

Dead Rising Deluxe Remaster features game-changing quality-of-life features and significantly improved endgame content.

Gamers Heroes - Johnny Hurricane - 80 / 100

While the changes are minimal, Dead Rising Deluxe Remaster’s shambling undead have never looked better. Fans of the original and newcomers alike will find plenty of zombie-slaying fun.

GamingTrend - Jack Zustiak - 80 / 100

Dead Rising's Deluxe Remaster makes changes big and small to an all-time classic. Some changes work, some don't, and ultimately none of them feel essential. Dead Rising remains a great game with or without this particular reconditioning. This Deluxe Remaster works best as an interesting thought experiment: what if Dead Rising released in 2024? It would be shinier, have autosaves, and noticeably fear its potential audience.

IGN Italy - Majkol Robuschi - Italian - 8 / 10

Originally a beloved Capcom title, this remake enhances the gameplay with modern quality-of-life improvements, while staying true to its roots in many ways. From upgraded graphics with RE Engine to improved survivor AI, the experience is more accessible, but this might divide long-time fans. The remaster succeeds in updating a classic, appealing to both newcomers and veterans, though some might argue that the essence of the original's hardcore difficulty has been softened. An impressive rework that balances nostalgia with modern sensibilities.

Nexus Hub - Ryan Pretorius - 8 / 10

Dead Rising Deluxe Remaster is rough around the edges at times but Capcom has delivered a mostly faithful, visually dazzling remaster without short-changing the tone, humour or violence.

Push Square - Liam Croft - 8 / 10

A substantial visual overhaul of Dead Rising is what will immediately stand out most, but where the Deluxe Remaster truly thrives is in all its gameplay touch-ups to make the classic play and feel like any other modern game. They all build to the definitive Dead Rising experience, where its time management feature can be properly appreciated.

Saudi Gamer - Arabic - 8 / 10

An ok remaster of a trailblazing classic. Still a gem of a game, only one that lost some of its luster and hasn't been polished enough.

VGC - Jordan Middler - 4 / 5

Dead Rising is still heaps of daft, gory fun, and the Deluxe Remaster is an excellent excuse to catch up with Frank. Almost every change that's been made to the new release is for the better, and while it won't blow your socks off like Capcom's other revisited classic, we're more than happy to spend another 72 hours with Mr West. He's covered wars, you know.

Wccftech - Francesco De Meo - 8 / 10

Dead Rising Deluxe Remaster is a solid remaster that enhances the original game with some welcome gameplay and quality-of-life improvements that go a long way to make the experience more enjoyable than ever. However, the remaster falters in the visual department, with dull colors that pale in comparison to the vibrant visuals of the original. Still, there's plenty to like in the Deluxe Remaster, as Frank West's journey to Willamette remains as engaging as ever, though the mostly faithful recreation of the original gameplay feels a little dated compared to its sequels.

Zoomg - Ali Goodarzi - Persian - 8 / 10

Dead Rising Deluxe Remaster is a valuable game—a work that reflects Capcom’s eagerness to revive one of its classic series. With graphical improvements that resemble a thorough remake rather than just a remaster and the reintroduction of the fluid gameplay we expect from the Dead Rising series, this work transforms into a worthwhile “remaster.”

Gamefa - Mostafa Zahedi - Persian - 7.8 / 10

Without a doubt, Dead Rising Deluxe Remaster is a fun and enjoyable game that delivers a unique story with lovely characters. Despite its strengths, some problems such as poor AI and low variety of side activities prevent this game from reaching its potential.

XboxEra - Austin Nelson - 7.3 / 10

If you are a fan of Dead Rising there’s a good chance you will really like this remaster. If you’ve never played the game before and want a fun zombie slaughter simulation, this game still holds up well, but you’ll have to look past some of the game's flaws and remind yourself that it is still bound by 360-era design.

IGN Spain - Alejandro Morillas - Spanish - 7 / 10

Despite the expected limitations of a game released almost 20 years ago, Dead Rising Deluxe Remaster is the best way to discover the origin of this mythical series.

SECTOR.sk - Peter Dragula - Slovak - 7 / 10

Dead Rising shows that it still has style after all these years. Especially the hordes of zombies and killing them is timeless and still fits today. Some of the graphical improvements are nice, but other things aren't as polished, and it's a shame that the gameplay hasn't been touched up and some outdated elements tweaked.

Sirus Gaming - Jarren Navarrete - 7 / 10

Dead Rising Deluxe Remaster is something I can recommend for those who haven't yet played the original and for those who really loved it and want to experience it again with the RE Engine. There's no question that it's fun but with its most notable feature being the updated visuals it really is just the old game with a fresh coat of paint.

Spaziogames - Gianluca Arena - Italian - 6.7 / 10

Dead Rising Deluxe Remaster happen to be both the best version of the game and a giant missed opportunity. The complete graphics overhaul is very welcome but it ends highlighting even more the age of the AI routines and the inaccurate hitboxes, which are both straight from the 2006 version. Still a good and goofy action game overall, but compromises have to be accepted to fully enjoy it.

Gameblog - French - [url="
        https://www.gameblog.fr/jeu-video/jeux/tests/test-dead-rising-deluxe-remaster-ps5-609407"]6 / 10[/url]

Dead Rising Deluxe Remaster is not a remake and a simple remaster. You'll find everything exactly as it was in 2006 but with better graphics. Even if it's still fun to kill hundreds of zombies, the gameplay, the controls, the structure and some technical aspects are painfully outdated. The game has truly aged badly and could have benefited from a deeper work by taking some of the evolutions of the next installments.

Pixel Arts - Amir Golkhani - Persian - 6 / 10

Ultimately, Dead Rising Deluxe Remaster had the potential to be a $50-worthy title with a few tweaks—adding accessibility features and fixing bugs and glitches. Unfortunately, the current product falls short, offering little more than a graphical facelift and a revamped shooting system, leaving both new and returning players wanting more.

The Outerhaven Productions - Karl Smart - 3 / 5

Dead Rising Deluxe Remaster is one of those remasters that offers nothing more than updating the graphics to a more modern level. However, graphics can’t sell games alone. Capcom should have given this game a proper remastering with some new content, or just left it dead and buried.

ACG - Jeremy Penter - Wait for Sale

"Some excellent adjustments but the game is still weighed down by its age even with the graphical enhancements"

Console Creatures - Bobby Pashalidis - Recommended

Dead Rising Deluxe Remaster is another excellent game from Capcom. With tons of quality-of-life improvements, smart changes, and overhauls, seeing Frank West again feels good.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to DRDR: Dead Rising Deluxe Remaster (PC/PS5/Xbox Series) - reviews from OpenCritic posted