Which Larian game is better?

Best

Which is the better Larian game?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Which Larian title is better?

• Divinity: Original Sin 2
    • Baldur's Gate 3

7 minutes ago, legend said:

There are a lot of mechanics they deliberately don't explain because they want the players to find it by experimenting, so don't be afraid to experiment! That said, also don't be afraid to just look up tips for getting started on youtube :p 

I've already watched a few beginner guides. I'm not spoiling the story just learning how the game mechanics work. 

9 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

So.  Just got Baldur's Gate 3.

Do I need to play through the first 2 games before playing the third?

No, you absolutely don't need to play the first two Baldur's Gate games to play 3. Despite being the third game in a dense, lore-filled franchise, Baldur's Gate 3 is kind of a standalone story set in the same world.

33 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Naa. It's connected, but not in a way that expects you to know meaningful details. Read the synopsis on Wikipedia for the first two games and you'll fine. Even if you don't, you'll still be fine :p To the main party, the events of the first two games are mostly semi-obscure legends so if you don't play you'll experience it from their perspective accurately! 

Mostly you'll miss some extra references and won't have any attachments to a couple optional returning characters, but even those characters are still enjoyable without knowing their detailed background. I actually never finished either of the previous BG games even though a played a big chunk of them because I got to them long after they released and and the UI and even the version of DnD itself in those games is incredibly dated. (THAC0 is absolutely awful and wildly unintuitive.)

Also, I played this on my deck and PS5 and it looks SO MUCH BETTER on my deck compared to the PS5.

So I'm showing my deck some love right now which is good because it has been collecting dust. 

17 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Not really, no. It takes place way after the events of 2 (120 years?), and the events are unrelated. There are a handful of characters (Elves and/or "time frozen") from BG2 that are/appear in the game, but it's nothing major.

6 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

After I finish Avatar. 

I gave up on Avatar and it's because the way they handle progression. Everything else is very good. You may have a better experience than me. I really want to see your thoughts on BG3. 

So when comparing the first few hours of BG3 and DOS2, I've come to the conclusion DOS2 is much more interesting in basically all aspects. I'm not being negative towards BG3 because it's an incredible game, but DOS2 has me much more invested. This is an incredible RPG. 

1 hour ago, Best said:

So when comparing the first few hours of BG3 and DOS2, I've come to the conclusion DOS2 is much more interesting in basically all aspects. I'm not being negative towards BG3 because it's an incredible game, but DOS2 has me much more invested. This is an incredible RPG. 

It's the15th highest rated game on open critic for a reason!

• True 1

On 6/28/2024 at 2:45 PM, Best said:

I gave up on Avatar and it's because the way they handle progression. Everything else is very good. You may have a better experience than me. I really want to see your thoughts on BG3. 

What was your problem with progression?

9 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

What was your problem with progression?

To level up in the game they force you to focus on gathering. It’s all about resource management/searching/crafting to level. And even on the easiest difficulty if you aren't a certain level you get obliterated. So that ruined the game for me  

You may not have any issues with it and have a blast. 

44 minutes ago, Best said:

Ok, I can safely say that DOS2 is easier than BG3. I'm moving along at a good pace and only ever had one party member die in combat. 

To be fair, easy vs easy mode may be different than normal vs normal mode. I'm not sure it would be the same on normal.

Just now, legend said:

To be fair, easy vs easy mode may be different than normal vs normal mode. I'm not sure it would be the same on normal.

I see. Well story difficulty in DOS2 is perfect for my skill and knowledge levels. 

I played more BG3 after DOS2 today and in the beginning sections I had my entire party die on me. Again, this is on easy mode. 

• Halal 1

@legend I'm about 15 hours into DOS2 and made much more progress in this compared to BG3. 

It just seems much easier on the easiest difficulty when compared to BG3. The bedroll is saving my ass and so convenient. I'm having a blast with this. 

• Hype 1