Which Larian game is better?

Best

Which is the better Larian game?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Which Larian title is better?

• Divinity: Original Sin 2
    • Baldur's Gate 3

I only played maybe 30 minutes of Divinity: Original Sin 2 and maybe 15 hours of Baldur's Gate 3. 

For those that played and completed both, which one did you prefer?

Each Larian game is an evolution of the previous. BG3 is, in almost everyway, superior to D:OS2, and 2 is superior to D:OS1. Its been a nice are of upward growth of craftsmanship and talent development for Larian. 

• stepee 1

4 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Each Larian game is an evolution of the previous. BG3 is, in almost everyway, superior to D:OS2, and 2 is superior to D:OS1. Its been a nice are of upward growth of craftsmanship and talent development for Larian. 

Interesting. I just watched two YouTube videos claiming Divinity: Original Sin 2 is better than BG3. 

But what you say makes sense. Maybe I'll play Divinity first then move on to BG3? 

20 minutes ago, Best said:

Interesting. I just watched two YouTube videos claiming Divinity: Original Sin 2 is better than BG3. 

But what you say makes sense. Maybe I'll play Divinity first then move on to BG3? 

I've played all three and I prefer BG3 to D:OS2, and I LOVED D:OS2. #Oneinternetperonsopinion

• Shocked 1

3 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I've played all three and I prefer BG3 to D:OS2, and I LOVED D:OS2. #Oneinternetperonsopinion

Ok. I think I'm going to give BG3 another try. I made some early mistakes when I played on PS5 but got some good info on here in how to successfully progress. I'm going to play this on my deck because it's been collecting dust. 

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

i agree with this wholeheartedly

Well I played both this afternoon. BG3 does a much better job in hooking you in with the story very quickly. Also the visuals and production values are superior to DOS2.

A quick note. I didn't like how small the text is with everything on the deck so I'm just going to play this on PS5. I will be using a guide for the first act so I don't have to bother @Bacon with any questions. 

• Shocked 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, legend said:

BG3 has vastly superior production values and story presentation.

That said, as much as I love DnD, I think DOS2 has the better game system. Do with that what you will.

That's exactly what the videos I was watching said. I'm focusing on BG3 with using a guide so that I can maybe beat it. 

I'll probably play Divinity afterwards. I played a little on the deck last night and this morning and it definitely is cool as hell. 

• Halal 1

3 hours ago, Best said:

I had to look that up. It was released in 2009 and got a 4.8/10 from IGN. 

It’s one of my favorite action RPGs, I like it a lot more than the Divinity: Original Sin games. And I don’t care what IGN scored it, because I rarely agree with their reviews and scores.

• stepee 1
  • Halal 1

11 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

It’s one of my favorite action RPGs, I like it a lot more than the Divinity: Original Sin games. And I don’t care what IGN scored it, because I rarely agree with their reviews and scores.

I use IGN scores as a base then usually look at easy allies score, then average them out. 

2 minutes ago, Siebzehn said:

I like D:OS2. It's a fun game. This isn't even a close comparison though. Baldurs Gate by a country mile.

Well I've committed to BG3 and very happy I did. I have DOS 2 on my deck to play if I ever have the itch to play it down the road. 

I’d say that DOS2 gives the player more combat freedom and options to be creative. BG3 is pretty flexible but it’s bound to D&D rules and mechanics which hamstrings it a little bit. DOS2 forces your teams to be a bit more diverse to account for enemy parties with mixed physical and magical shields.

Buuuuuuut beyond that I think literally everything else in BG3 is better and it’s not like the combat is bad.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Best said:

@Mr.Vic20 @legend @Kal-El814

One last question. Which is the easier game between DOS2 and BG3?

I’d say that it’s probably easier to have a team comp that makes DOS2 harder than BG3 at most times. I don’t know that either game is particularly difficult, especially since they have “story” difficulty modes. But unlike a lot of JRPGs or ARPGS like Mass Effect or Dragon Age 2 and onwards, you can’t really brute force your way through encounters. 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Best said:

@Mr.Vic20 @legend @Kal-El814

One last question. Which is the easier game between DOS2 and BG3?

This is incredibly hard to answer because of the nature of the design of these games. Both games can be hard if you play them straightforwardly. They're designed for you to use the systems in ways that completely break it in your favor. If I had to guess, I'd say BG3 tolerates a little bit more straightfoward play and might be easier in that regard, but DOS2 gives you more room to completely break the game in your favor by doing weird things. I have memories of doing coop in DOS2 where my friend and I were really struggling bad on fights, but then when we found a strategy we absolutely wiped the floor the enemies.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Well, we may not be able to know for sure which is harder, but we now have some evidence that points to both @legend and @Kal-El814 being better at these types of games then ol' Vic... :daydream:

If it's any consolation, I've seen many streamers who were vastly more clever in how they exploited the systems than I was.

• Hugs 1

Well I decided to play DOS2 first. I'm about 2 hours in and absolutely loving it. I haven't had any issues in combat yet and I chose the easiest difficulty.

Larian is really impressing me with just how immersive their games are. 

I'm going to look up a few things that I'm confused on but I appreciate the responses from you guys. 

• Hype 1

1 minute ago, Best said:

Well I decided to play DOS2 first. I'm about 2 hours in and absolutely loving it. I haven't had any issues in combat yet and I chose the easiest difficulty.

Larian is really impressing me with just how immersive their games are. 

I'm going to look up a few things that I'm confused on but I appreciate the responses from you guys. 

I loved the combat in D:OS2 -- there are some challenging bosses, so I would keep saving.

There are a couple of nonintuitive puzzle solutions that are needed to move the story forward, so I wouldn't be overly concerned about checking out a guide if you are not sure about what to do next.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, legend said:

If you’re doing DOS2, remember to grab a bed roll. They heal you. 

Also, consider combining nails with boots. You’ll see why. 

Ok I was trying to figure out how to heal without potions. So it's kinda similar to BG3 in resting for the night. 

1 hour ago, Best said:

Ok I was trying to figure out how to heal without potions. So it's kinda similar to BG3 in resting for the night. 

Way simpler. In BG3, you need resources to rest for the night and although it doesn't matter most of the time, sleeping sometimes advances time in BG3. In DOS2, you just need one bed roll that you can use indefinitely and it works instantly!

• Hype 1

8 minutes ago, legend said:

Way simpler. In BG3, you need resources to rest for the night and although it doesn't matter most of the time, sleeping sometimes advances time in BG3. In DOS2, you just need one bed roll that you can use indefinitely and it works instantly!

Very nice. I'm grabbing one tonight. I must have missed it in the very beginning. 

2 hours ago, Best said:

Very nice. I'm grabbing one tonight. I must have missed it in the very beginning. 

There are a lot of mechanics they deliberately don't explain because they want the players to find it by experimenting, so don't be afraid to experiment! That said, also don't be afraid to just look up tips for getting started on youtube :p