Heading to [somewhere on Planet Earth] tomorrow AMA - the official D1P travel thread

stepee

On 10/7/2024 at 2:44 PM, Nokra said:

Today I went on a 7.5 mile hike on a beautiful 70 degree sunny day (in October!) in the Columbia River Gorge near Portland. Cape Horn, for those who know it!

du7Bd7L.jpeg

And of course I took my doggo <3 

IsBaB5W.jpeg

I think they filmed parts of Bend of the River there.

1 hour ago, thewhyteboar said:

I think they filmed parts of Bend of the River there.

I have to admit that I hadn't heard of that movie, but I looked it up and you're right! Quite a few scenes were filmed in the Gorge, as well as further east in Oregon, out near Bend and up around Mount Hood. 

Oregon really is beautiful! <3

Getting ready for a rather long boat ride, which isn't great considering I already don't feel great today. Sea sickness isn't normally a problem for me but if I end up stuck below deck and already don't feel great it can be a problem. Thankfully the sea is pretty calm today, at least. We got rocked by a pretty big storm the night before last. Must have been a 5-6' storm surge.

• stepee 1

I'm sitting at an airport bar in Phuket waiting for my flight to board and there are SO many arab dudes getting their drink on before they go home and have to publicly pretend they don't drink.

Indonesia, Malaysia, and southern Thailand (where I've been since August) are all very muslim places. No one gives a shit. I've actually found that in southeast Asia that Muslims tend to be more socially liberal than the Buddhists, if anything.

50 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

You've found your happy place. :daydream:

I love this museum, it's insane. I didn't photograph everything (or share cause you'll see me in reflections and it will prove I'm not a vampire). If anyone lives in LA it's similar vibes to the Jurassic Technology museum

I do not consider myself a well-traveled person, which I do not like because I think traveling is one of the best ways to develop a wiser worldview. Even going to Toronto and coming back I find myself with new and deeper resentments of life in Grand Rapids, MI. Specifically, I find that the suburban culture here is just so gross. No one cares about your commute, or construction on your commute, or the relentless speeding and general disregard for life that most people here seem to hold in high regard. If it wasn’t for having, you know, a settled life here I would up and leave in a heartbeat. This certainly isn’t the worst place in the world, though, and I’m grateful to live in an urban part of it.

I'm leaving tomorrow for a 10 day trip to England, flying out on a 777 direct to London. I'll mostly be staying in the Cotswolds and doing some traditional English shooting with my in-laws, at least as long as we don't get too much rain. After a week the wife and I will have a few days in London to see the city. I've traveled through London a number of times, but the last time I actually spent any time in the city I was 12. So we're going to see the sights, eat some good food, and go see a show.

• stepee 2

3 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I'm leaving tomorrow for a 10 day trip to England, flying out on a 777 direct to London. I'll mostly be staying in the Cotswolds and doing some traditional English shooting with my in-laws, at least as long as we don't get too much rain. After a week the wife and I will have a few days in London to see the city. I've traveled through London a number of times, but the last time I actually spent any time in the city I was 12. So we're going to see the sights, eat some good food, and go see a show.

Make sure you visit the D1P place of pilgrimage, in front of Robert Devereux

Planning a trip with my wife to somewhere European in 2025, and a trip to Japan with the kids to celebrate our oldest graduating. Will probably start mining you all for suggestions soon.

Last trip of 2024 for me will probably be the quick couple of days in San Juan PR followed by a one way Disney cruise back to Houston. Juanita is a Disney freak and had wanted to do a Disney cruise since around 2012 the first time we went to Disney World with our kids. It is our 20 year wedding anniversary next month so decided we would do that. She is super pumped!

• stepee 1

You know you're on a fancy ass plane when you don't even have to walk past first class to reach coach. First class all gets boarded separately and towards the nose of the plane, us plebs go towards the tail.

Riding economy, I've never understood why everyone is so eager to board the plane as soon as they can. I guess it's to make sure there's overhead space for their shit. Personally, I think that's fucking stupid, just enjoy what time you have, grab a drink at the closest bar to your gate, then board the plane with 3 minutes left to spare. You're going to be sitting down for a while.

My flight from Doha to Philadelphia had so many Arab grandmas (Jeddae? Jeddaeun? I don't know that much arabic) that were the biggest assholes I've ever seen on a plane. The lady sitting next to me was lovely, though.

50 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

This is super true. I pick flights that are usually really early in the morning and end up getting business class upgrades from United nearly every time, and this dynamic is real 😂

I actually don’t care much, I get free economy plus anyway and that has plenty of legroom, and I don’t drink on flights, so free booze doesn’t get my attention.

When we fly overseas to see my wife’s family, we fly Austrian. They have a bidding system for the upgrade to business class. We will buy the cheapest tickets possible and put in a minimum bid on the upgrade. We typically get it because most people want the upgrade for free. The looks people give when they see a 4 year old in business wearing pjs waving to them as they walk back to economy is pretty funny. We try to tell to stop waving but she don’t give af. 

• Hype 1