Heading to [somewhere on Planet Earth] tomorrow AMA - the official D1P travel thread

stepee

My wife, my kids, and I are leaving for Toronto tomorrow for 5 days. We don’t have much planned except for the zoo and maybe the aquarium. It’s hard to find things to do with young kids. My wife absolutely insisted on a vacation this year, so off we go!

My parents and brother are going with a group of friends on a Bahamas cruise and today was my dad's first time flying. He's 60. I thought he'd hate it, but he called me this evening sounding like a fascinated kid. He loved the experience, minus the cramped seats. I kinda thought it was adorable. Hope he likes the cruise ship have as much.

• stepee 1
  • Halal 1
  • Hugs 1

35 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

My parents and brother are going with a group of friends on a Bahamas cruise and today was my dad's first time flying. He's 60. I thought he'd hate it, but he called me this evening sounding like a fascinated kid. He loved the experience, minus the cramped seats. I kinda thought it was adorable. Hope he likes the cruise ship have as much.

Did he get the window?

20 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

Did he get the window?

He did. Which surprised me, because he'd a big guy, but the flights were short. Memphis to Houston, then Houston to Jacksonville.

He's said he'd like to go to Australia one day, but I wonder if he can handle those seats for that kind of flight.

Just now, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

He did. Which surprised me, because he'd a big guy, but the flights were short. Memphis to Houston, then Houston to Jacksonville.

He's said he'd like to go to Australia one day, but I wonder if he can handle those seats for that kind of flight.

I think intl seats are a little bigger. Although I had a swiss air flight that was completely miserable recently, the seats are over done and plush where you felt completely squeezed.

1 hour ago, SuperSpreader said:

I think intl seats are a little bigger. Although I had a swiss air flight that was completely miserable recently, the seats are over done and plush where you felt completely squeezed.

They are. I'm only 5', so the leg room isn't as big a deal for me, but the sitting for such long periods is. I broke my tailbone a couple years ago and it's never really been the same, so the sitting makes it ache. I have to get up and walk the aisle periodically.

8 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

They are. I'm only 5', so the leg room isn't as big a deal for me, but the sitting for such long periods is. I broke my tailbone a couple years ago and it's never really been the same, so the sitting makes it ache. I have to get up and walk the aisle periodically.

I've dislocated both shoulders and don't really notice even when lifting. But sitting squeezed in a plane makes them flare up like nothing else.

I didn't fly until I was 22 yrs old. I was impressed with it like any person would be. I mean if you truly think about it, it's absolutely amazing that we built machines that fly 35,000 feet in the sky at 500 mph. 

6 hours ago, Best said:

I didn't fly until I was 22 yrs old. I was impressed with it like any person would be. I mean if you truly think about it, it's absolutely amazing that we built machines that fly 35,000 feet in the sky at 500 mph. 

Area 51 Aliens GIF by Sky HISTORY UK

On 9/27/2024 at 11:25 PM, S3xB0t said:

My wife, my kids, and I are leaving for Toronto tomorrow for 5 days. We don’t have much planned except for the zoo and maybe the aquarium. It’s hard to find things to do with young kids. My wife absolutely insisted on a vacation this year, so off we go!

This city is insane. Tiny million dollar+ houses everywhere, random clusters of high rises, and crushing traffic on the biggest freeways I’ve ever seen. Some incredible urbanism, too, and very lively. Between the geography and the sprawl it feels almost unplanned in places. I haven’t traveled a lot but I’ve been to a couple of major cities and Toronto is different. It feels very international. Like I can feel the world moving. Just yesterday afternoon I heard Hindi, Spanish, Russian/Ukrainian, and some other languages I didn’t recognize. Would I move here? Absolutely not. One, I couldn’t afford it. Two, it’s a mess in land use and transportation. Cool to visit though, even if all one does is visit neighborhoods just to hang out.

We went to California for 10 days, part of vacation and part for theater stuff.

Juanita and I ran down to San Diego and watched a game at the glorious Petco Park

IMG-1152 IMG-1157 IMG-1162

Day 2 we went to Disneyland Park

IMG-1168 IMG-1169

Day 3 we spent time at California Adventure

IMG-1200 IMG-1206

Day 4 we went from Anaheim to Beverly Hills, where the theater owner summit was. We kinda took it easy.

Day 5 we went and had lunch with a long time friend (who I originally met on IGN) and his family in Burbank, then we finished the day with a trip to he Santa Monica pier.

IMG-4650 IMG-4652

Day 6 we started off with a trip to a mall to snag a couple of things and took William to this place called Eggslut because he is QUITE the eggslut. The afternoon was the first part of the summit, and we had dinner and a screening of Saturday Night with the director Jason Reitman doing the introduction. My children introduced themselves and he was very kind. I liked the flick.

IMG-4655 IMG-1253 IMG-1254 IMG-1255

Day 7 began with the actual governance meetings for the National Association of Theater Owners. We yelled at each other and voted on things and my children were horrified and thought everybody hated one another. LOL. Nah, we just only ALL meet twice a year so the airing of grievances is real.

That night was capped off with a trip to the beautiful Paramount Pictures lot for dinner and a screening of Gladiator 2, introduced by Denzel and Sir Ridley. Fun flick but a bit too samsey as the first.

IMG-4664 IMG-1266 IMG-1267 IMG-1271

Day 8 was educational seminar stuff and then the pioneer of the year awards dinner, which honored Greta Gerwig. We actually skipped that and just had dinner with the fam. We also celebrated William’s 15th birthday.

IMG-1277 IMG-0655

Day 9 was spent at the Director’s Guild of America, where Universal gave an extensive overview of their marketing plan for Wicked, followed by lunch and then a screening of the film introduced by the director, Jon Chu, and the two leads Cynthia Erivo and Ariana Grande. William and Olivia got to meet Ariana, which they thought was particularly cool.

IMG-1282 IMG-1283 IMG-1284 IMG-1285 IMG-4701 IMG-4702

Day 10 we hit up Universal Studios Hollywood. We had never been. It was pretty fun, but easily a one day theme park during the slow season. We actually didn’t even go to the park until around 11:30 and had to leave at 5:30 because of the Hollywood Horror Nights, and we rode literally everything we wanted to.

IMG-1293 IMG-1302 IMG-4764 IMG-4769

Day 11 was just a quick drive to the airport and then a 3 hour flight home.

It was really a lovely time, and it was nice to get my children to see a very different side of the business that has been my professional life for most of their existence. It is such a strange industry, and ultimately very small at the leadership level. They also learned some things that they are excited to try and implement in our own theaters, especially after this really wonderful presentation by a friend of mine about what she is doing for her disabled customers.

• stepee 3
  • Halal 1

14 minutes ago, Andrea said:

What did your kids think of meeting areola grande 

She was very sweet and it was definitely the highlight of the trip for Ollie.

Also wanted to tell you that you’ve been on my mind. Between Stephen and the situation with your mother in law, just a series of situations that nobody wants to be in. I hope you are well, friend.

I think I'm going to stay here for one more week, maybe 2. I'm going to get a little dental work done that I've been putting off because it's too expensive back home. And then it's off to somewhere where I have to start working again. Where that is, who's to say?

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

She was very sweet and it was definitely the highlight of the trip for Ollie.

Also wanted to tell you that you’ve been on my mind. Between Stephen and the situation with your mother in law, just a series of situations that nobody wants to be in. I hope you are well, friend.

Thank you, I appreciate that very much. Life has been hard as hell the last little bit. My MIL was up and down for a while and it was scary, but she has made huge improvements the last few days and it’s a big relief. I finally think she’s going to be okay!  

Coping with the loss of Stephen has been hard too. It probably always will be. I’m just taking it day by day. Some are easier than others. 

• stepee 1
  • Hugs 1

9 hours ago, Andrea said:

Coping with the loss of Stephen has been hard too. It probably always will be. I’m just taking it day by day. Some are easier than others. 

After 7 years of mourning my other half of my identity (twin brother) it NEVER gets any easier.

You just learn different coping methods that get you through the day. 

So yes, taking it day by day is the only way to manage this. 

• stepee 1

I haven't eaten like real food in a week. Tomorrow I'm going back to somewhere that actually has a real grocery store. I can't tell you how excited that makes me. Like I can eat fresh fruit, dear lord I'm actually salivating at the thought.

I have basically eaten nothing but ramen noodles and ham/kraft singles sandwiches for the last 7-10 days. My diet has been that and beer. My doctor would be furious if I had one.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I haven't eaten like real food in a week. Tomorrow I'm going back to somewhere that actually has a real grocery store. I can't tell you how excited that makes me. Like I can eat fresh fruit, dear lord I'm actually salivating at the thought.

I have basically eaten nothing but ramen noodles and ham/kraft singles sandwiches for the last 7-10 days. My diet has been that and beer. My doctor would be furious if I had one.

Jesus that is not good for any human body. Fresh food is going to be so refreshing for you. 

no scurvy no glory mate

No but honestly I'm pretty sure the only vitamin C I've had in over a week was the mango juice I drank with my mushrooms. Granted it was mixed with vodka and brandy, but I think it still counts. And mango isn't even particularly high in vitamin C, it just has some.

When I get to a grocery store tomorrow I'm just going to house some bell peppers if they have any.

• Hype 1

33 minutes ago, Chris- said:

@Fizzzzle guess where I am right now.  

jBXC9rh.jpeg 

Oy a fuckin taddy lager pint in ye olde cheshire cheese right in the gob guvna

I hope you're enjoying the 17th century environs. Your wife travels halfway around the world, visits one of the oldest taverns still standing and drinks what is that, an aperol spritz?!

2 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

Oy a fuckin taddy lager pint in ye olde cheshire cheese right in the gob guvna

I hope you're enjoying the 17th century environs. Your wife travels halfway around the world, visits one of the oldest taverns still standing and drinks what is that, an aperol spritz?!

That would be a dark and stormy. To be fair she’s had multiple Guinness’ tonight as well. 

6 hours ago, Chris- said:

@Fizzzzle (this is Chris’ wife) Piss off, mate. So I took a break from my busy Guinness schedule to have a dark and stormy. It’s not my fault they serve it in a prissy glass, take it up with them. 

Hey, I get it. I'm so sick of drinking nothing but shitty beer for the last month+ that I'd jump at the chance to drink a cocktail, too. Any cocktail.

Fuck dude I kind of gorged myself today. Scarfed down a sandwich with real food like tomatoes and cucumbers and grilled chicken and real cheese, then a few hours later I went to an Indian restaurant this really cool lady runs. She asked me about my hand, I didn't think she would remember me. I fucking HOUSED some vindaloo with naan. Plus I actually got real food from an actual grocery store. A week in the jungle was a lot. Wouldn't trade it for anything, but fuck me if I haven't had a grin on my face all day.

Tomorrow I'm going to get some dental work done (hopefully) then it's supposed to be the opening of a bar a new friend of mine is starting, though he said he might have to push it til Friday.