Heading to [somewhere on Planet Earth] tomorrow AMA - the official D1P travel thread

stepee

6 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

It’s our last day in London and we’re both just tired. We took the day off to rest. Tomorrow we head to York for a night, then Edinburgh to wrap up the final week of the trip. 

We had to go find a launderette to wash clothes. We only packed a week's worth to save space and planned on doing laundry at the hotel since the Expedia page noted they had that. Then we realized it’s a laundry service, they do it for you. And they charge by each piece. So one tshirt is £10.50. Socks and underwear £6.75. And so on. Absurd doesnt even begin to describe it. I’m not paying essentially $200 for one load of laundry. What in the actual fuck. Walked 15 minutes to the launderette and paid £15 to wash all our stuff. 

Despite my income, I wash my clothes in the sink when I travel as I ducking refuse to spend 20usd to launder a pair of pants; get fucked.

You can get little packets of Tide that are small enough to bring through TSA if you're not checking a bag, also laundry detergent sheets I think so that that's not even an issue. Biggest issue is just that you're just not gonna wring your stuff out by hand like a spin cycle does so you need potentially a couple of days for everything to sit finishing drying off if you want to go the sink washing route. 

If wrinkles bother you and there's no iron you can bring stuff into the bathroom and steam up the room with the shower, once it's nice and steamy in there you should be able to work out a lot of the wrinkles with your hands. 

4 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Currently at the top of the central tower at York Minster. This is a nice change of pace from London. Everything here looks so old. 

One of the real joys of England is being consistently surrounded by a ridiculous number of areas and buildings of historical significance. 

• True 1

10 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

York Minster was fantastic. I never cease to be in awe of these historic cathedrals. We went to a pub, had dinner, I had a pint, then we walked around the city some taking in the sights. Going to walk the city walls tomorrow before heading onto Scotland. 

Hope you saw the statue of Constantine while there! 

On 9/16/2024 at 1:42 AM, Nokra said:

@CastlevaniaNut18 For your next trip, I can recommend getting some of these. They're very compact (easy to travel with) and do a good job at freshening up your clothes. :thumbup:

Thanks. It was easy in Japan last year because we had the airbnbs for free and they had the washer/dryer there. I wasn’t even thinking about this sort of ridiculousness. 

I just don’t want to pack two weeks worth of clothes on an international trip. 

Black pudding is delicious, fuck anyone who says otherwise.

Also they play bagpipes on the royal mile all day.

Also @CastlevaniaNut18you guys should take a night tour of the Edinburgh tunnels or whatever they're called. It's a bunch of horse shit but it's a great way to see the city at night. 

For my money, Edinburgh is the most beautiful city I've ever seen.

• stepee 1

I can't even count how many mosquito bites I have anymore. The first two weeks here I had just a couple, over the last 2-3 days I've had dozens. Thankfully they don't all itch. There's a reason people don't come to this part of the world during this time of year. That being said, I had a great day yesterday. It was gorgeous (unexpectedly, it was supposed to rain all day). I made friends with a dog. His owner turned out to own a bar. This morning the surf got about 6 inches away from flooding my room. 

I'm trying to find a boat captain so I can fish for barracuda, then I don't need to buy food anymore. Note: the FDA actually recommends that you don't eat barracuda in large quantities. Something to do with barracuda being bottom feeding carnivores (they eat meat that eats meat) that makes them more susceptible to food borne illness. 

They're easy as shit to catch though, you just have to have a piece of live bait about 4 inches away from jumbled up rope. They have these really long gator mouths that get tangled in the rope.

Also they taste like shit, but hey, we're here

Dude I just unfolded a towel I left outside for like 5 minutes and there was this MASSIVE centipede in it. I wish I took a picture but I was too worried about it not biting my naughty bits. Centipede bites aren't lethal but can leave you having a not very good day. This one was brightly colored, too. I bet he packed a whollop.

I love the jungle, man. This is my shit. 

• Shocked 1
  • Haha 1

At St Giles Cathedral now, I sat for a little Presbyterian service from a female minister. I don’t mind Christianity like this, far from the loud fire and brimstone stuff I grew up with. It was kind of serene. 

Going to Edinburgh Castle in a bit. This is really a beautiful city. I love the architecture. 

Also gotta buy some whisky for my brother and a friend. Plenty of options, but as someone who doesn’t drink the stuff at all, I don’t know what’s good. Just gonna have to go into a shop and ask for something good that’s not super expensive but also not the cheapest swill available.