Heading to [somewhere on Planet Earth] tomorrow AMA - the official D1P travel thread

stepee

5 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Actually, I do plan ahead. I always plan to do everything as late as possible. Especially when I know exactly how long I can wait to do something.

That's me in a nutshell. Not a good quality 😕 

8 minutes ago, Ominous said:

I find this a good place to post a few photos from when me and my wife went to Arizona to celebrate the life of her cousin that passed away earlier this year.
spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png
spacer.png

spacer.png

Those are beautiful shots. @CastlevaniaNut18 do you get these types of views where you live?

Still pretty on the fence about going through with the Seattle trip this weekend. Even if I feel physically better from being sick, I don’t know if I’m up for it mentally & emotionally. 

I do want to see one of my best friends there though and I wouldn’t get a refund on flights or accommodations if I skip it so it feels like money down the drain. 

Will see how I feel tomorrow. 

• Hugs 1

On 7/26/2024 at 12:23 PM, Chris- said:

This thread makes me jealous as fuck, I never got to go abroad as a kid and I've been dying to do so...I had some money put away for a trip with my then-gf/now-wife, but then COVID/grad school/my leg got in the way. I probably have enough money saved to do it now so I might start planning a trip for later this year.

On 7/26/2024 at 1:04 PM, stepee said:

I mean if you are serious about this, they seriously still drive through the grass around the same area 

It's funny because I had everything lined up to visit DC at the end of September (put in PTO, booked hotel, paid it off on my credit card, etc.), but we had a falling out with the friend we were going with, so as much as I love DC I decided to look at other options...Realized that between the credit refund I'd get for the hotel and my Chase points that flights to London would be covered, and the travel credit I have can be used on London hotels, so it looks like I'm going to Europe! Tentative plan right now is to fly in and spend 1-2 days in London, take the train to Amsterdam and spend a few days there, then do either another 2 days in London before we fly back or squeeze in a day in Paris. We'll be booking everything this weekend after I get my PTO approved.

I'm also nervous as hell given the past circumstances, I was stress eating like crazy after telling my wife about the idea. A trip to Europe was originally a gift to her and COVID disrupted it, then it was on hold for three years while I was in school, and then at the tail end of that my foot/ankle went to hell, so to finally be hovering over the 'Go' button is terrifying.

• Hype 2

4 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

Just landed in Tokyo. It's raining and I'm drinking a Sapporo. Thank you for listening my ted talk

4 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

I'm an Asahi man myself, but that sounds lovely.

3 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Asahi was my favorite beer from over there. 

1 hour ago, Fizzzzle said:

I drank Asahi on the plane. 5 or 6 of them to be precise. I'm drinking one now as a matter of fact somewhere over the Pacific. 

This is my preference:

DSC_9390-Kirin-Ichiban-WEB750.jpg

• Hype 1

42 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Recommendations on where to stay would be very much appreciated, because I know almost nothing about London!

I booked through Expedia at the Tower Hotel. Came out to about $160/night. Right next to the Tower of London on the Thames. Had solid reviews and was conveniently located. 

Expedia reviews have never let me down thus far. I just want something clean and conveniently located this one seemed to fit the bill. 

I don’t know exactly where stepee stayed, but it was also next to the Tower. 

1 hour ago, Chris- said:

:dab:

yX2dRex.png

You live in Pittsburgh? I probably knew that but forgot. I drove through there a few months ago and it was easily one of the coolest cities I’ve ever seen. Want to go back for a proper visit sometime. Maybe during the pickle festival 🥒

1 minute ago, Andrea said:

You live in Pittsburgh? I probably knew that but forgot. I drove through there a few months ago and it was easily one of the coolest cities I’ve ever seen. Want to go back for a proper visit sometime. Maybe during the pickle festival 🥒

There’s a pickle festival?! Hmmm, gonna have to go. I always wanted to visit PNC Park, it’s one of the prettiest in the nation. And Pickle Fest is right in the middle of baseball season. 

• stepee 1

13 minutes ago, Andrea said:

Philly is better. 

Pittsburgh is definitely one of America’s cooler cities. It’s very unique in that the culture is predominantly Midwestern but with an east coast tinge. The geography makes for such an incredible cityscape. Because of the hills each neighborhood ends up feeling like its own place rather than one urban agglomeration. The city still has charm and grit, too. It’s not totally gentrified yet so you run into many different people and cultures. The only thing I didn’t care for was the food, which was pretty mid. If you go @Andrea or @CastlevaniaNut18 I think yinz could very easily have a great week. 

5 minutes ago, S3xB0t said:

Pittsburgh is definitely one of America’s cooler cities. It’s very unique in that the culture is predominantly Midwestern but with an east coast tinge. The geography makes for such an incredible cityscape. Because of the hills each neighborhood ends up feeling like its own place rather than one urban agglomeration. The city still has charm and grit, too. It’s not totally gentrified yet so you run into many different people and cultures. The only thing I didn’t care for was the food, which was pretty mid. If you go @Andrea or @CastlevaniaNut18 I think yinz could very easily have a great week. 

yeah the geography and architecture was stunning. Have never seen anything like it before! It surprised me. 

• stepee 1

7 minutes ago, S3xB0t said:

Yeah, I’d like to just take an extended weekend trip sometime to catch a game and see a few sights. Basically like I did in Atlanta earlier this year. 

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, Chris- said:

Recommendations on where to stay would be very much appreciated, because I know almost nothing about London!

Just don't stay in Kensington/Chelsea, it sucks major asscock and is boring. Whitechapel is probably better.

So, funny thing happened - I was going to give my chef knife to one of my friends before I left, but forgot to give it to her when I saw her, therefore I also forgot it was in my backpack.

TSA either didn't notice or didn't care that I had a fucking 10" knife in my backpack. And Narita didn't even make me go through security :p

• Haha 1
  • Sicko Sherman 2

16 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

So, funny thing happened - I was going to give my chef knife to one of my friends before I left, but forgot to give it to her when I saw her, therefore I also forgot it was in my backpack.

TSA either didn't notice or didn't care that I had a fucking 10" knife in my backpack. And Narita didn't even make me go through security :p

The amount of illegal drugs I’ve taken through security successfully gives me little faith in TSA

1 hour ago, Andrea said:

1 hour ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

There’s a pickle festival?! Hmmm, gonna have to go. I always wanted to visit PNC Park, it’s one of the prettiest in the nation. And Pickle Fest is right in the middle of baseball season. 

I do and there is, Picklesburg is more or less one of the marquee summer festivals at this point. I don't like pickles so its not for me but the event keeps getting bigger.