Heading to [somewhere on Planet Earth] tomorrow AMA - the official D1P travel thread

stepee

yeahhhh the boroughs market will just have to wait for a return trip, already did an incredible British market that is in cork, ireland anyway - also the London Tower market was weak as hell but I did go to that briefly this morning. 

Finally got some pounds on my last day here so I can leave a tip for the maids and to give the homeless vet who was always outside when I was smoking some money and finally tried the hotel coffee which is quite lovely. And that will be a wrap for London! 

Overall it won me over in the end with some of its people, beautiful structures, and absolutely breathtaking parks. I think a little higher of their food but would still place that quite low overall. But I’m ending my stay here having enjoyed myself and glad that I went.

Time to get ready and head off for the last destination. 

• stepee 1

Woooooof - that was a hustle. I thought my flight was 30min later than it was and already was cutting it close because like an idiot I decided to do my morning exercise routine even though my bags I carry are like 20lbs each at this point. 

Anyway left my hotel for the airport an hour and 20min before take off by accident which I never ever do, usually arrive about an hour or two early.

Luckily turns out London City airport is one of those smaller airports and only 20min away. I rush through to security but unfortunately I’m packed in a way now where I’m totally overloaded due to the extra switch and just way too many fucking electronics. So my electronic bag is ALWAYS going to require manual inspection at this point.

Luckily I actually kinda bonded with the cute security lady and it ended up to the point where I sold her on the meta glasses and was showing her pictures from Disney Paris lol - anyway so she was super nice about my timeframe and efficient and I made my flight - yay! 

Long story short, I’m completely obscenely overpacked and it’s really not needed. I’m going to completely rethink how I pack in the future. Like, I like using my ipad, but I don’t even really need that since I have my phone. Also I have WAY too many fucking cables like the world will end if I don’t have the right size one.

In the future I think just one game device, switch or deck, whichever has the most travel friendly games I’m playing at the moment, an external battery, rokid glasses, meta glasses, and that’s like it for electronics. And then for clothes I’m thinking of getting one of those compression bags - anyone ever use those?

• stepee 1

28 minutes ago, stepee said:

Long story short, I’m completely obscenely overpacked and it’s really not needed. I’m going to completely rethink how I pack in the future. Like, I like using my ipad, but I don’t even really need that since I have my phone. Also I have WAY too many fucking cables like the world will end if I don’t have the right size one.

100% I've got it down to a carry on and an underseat. You don't need a ton of entertainment on a trip, the location is entertainment. And guess what, if you need a cable, there's cables everywhere to buy!

Typically for me it's headphones/earbuds, phone, converter, battery pack, camera and lenses, pencils/pens, and notebook/sketchbook. If it's more of a staycation or local trip I'll bring my laptop and mouse.

I've never used my switch on a trip it just ends up taking up space. I brought it to Mexico and I was like.. well I can play a game by myself... or I can go to a bar and have a michelada and tacos.

• stepee 1

I'm going to southeast Asia for a couple months soon, so it's a little different as I have to literally take everything I own (I have to get rid of everything I don't take with me, as my lease is up at the end of the month). Thankfully it's not much as I don't really own that much stuff. In my backpack I'll have 2 laptops, my switch (honestly I might just get rid of the Switch at this point, I haven't used it in probably 2 years), charging cables, headphones, mouse, and enough clothes to last a few days in case my bag gets lost, since I might have to check it depending on my clothes situation.

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Be sure to visit Berlin's zoo!

WWW.ZOO-BERLIN.DE

csm_zoo-plan_EN_2024_0bb8a14530.png

You'll get there using the Bahnhof Berlin Zoologischer Garten stop!

I mentioned this earlier (they have pandas!) and I can’t wait! My hotel is an 8 minute walk from it :D

• stepee 2

When I went through customs they were talking to everyone in line for a little bit but for me she just looked at my passport then at her screen and saw SOMETHING and then said thank you and I went through. Not a single question, seemed weird.

I guess she saw Dublin, Paris, London, and now Berlin and just figured yeah I get the idea 

• stepee 1

6 minutes ago, stepee said:

When I went through customs they were talking to everyone in line for a little bit but for me she just looked at my passport then at her screen and saw SOMETHING and then said thank you and I went through. Not a single question, seemed weird.

I guess she saw Dublin, Paris, London, and now Berlin and just figured yeah I get the idea 

Glory to Arstotzka 🫡

• Halal 1
  • Hype 1

Oh man these Uber rides are going to be so fucking fun. My Grandma was born and raised here and met my Grandpa in the aftermath of WW2 and my Mom was born here before they came to the US so I have a good “in” here.

This guy gave me props for knowing that Transylvania (where he is from) is in Romania, saying most Americans don’t know that, which is sad.

Anyway got my drugggggs which I had to go to a pretty seedy area to get lol but it’s good. He also gave me a cannabis lollipop for free I can’t wait to try.

• stepee 1

48 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

He must be unaware how many Americans saw Duck Tales.

I mean, that isn’t the issue, he was saying most people when he asks don’t know, so the issue is not enough Americans saw Duck Tales.

• stepee 1
  • Sad 1

Made sure to plan my meal early and got actual German food and it was fucking incredible. Good hot kraut is my everything.

The frikadelles were so good, I haven’t had them since my Grandma passed, or when she stopped feeling well enough to cook Christmas dinner about ten years ago (she passed 8 years ago) - it did make me a little sad because I had actually forgotten all about them until I saw them on the menu. Even though she would make them every Christmas dinner into my 30s and I freakin love them. Not as good as hers but they were within the same realm.

• stepee 1
  • Halal 1

Now where the sidewalk is where the bunker was, but after he shot himself they pulled out his body and doused it in gas right across the way and destroyed it. So get some Cheeto dust there too. Ashes to ashes, Cheeto to Cheeto.

I made a handy Cheeto-ing infographic

Screenshot-20240810-115615-3.png

• Shocked 1

58 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

Now where the sidewalk is where the bunker was, but after he shot himself they pulled out his body and doused it in gas right across the way and destroyed it. So get some Cheeto dust there too. Ashes to ashes, Cheeto to Cheeto.

I made a handy Cheeto-ing infographic

Screenshot-20240810-115615-3.png

Im probably going to move towards that and checkpoint charlie tomorrow. Yesterday was a failure of a rest day as I went back out at night and still did 7 miles so now today I’m resting so I don’t fuck up my foot on this last part.

exit: Damn still walked 3 miles :(

I needed extra socks, underwear, and one more shirt because there was an issue with the laundry service and I need to wait for Monday.

• stepee 1

On 8/10/2024 at 6:52 PM, SuperSpreader said:

Did you eat a snack over where Hitler died yet? I think you should eat the most ridiculous snack there. Something like find a bagel or maybe some hot Cheetos and let the Cheeto dust sprinkle over the spot.

I went here today but it was with a group so I just waited for everyone else to stagger ahead and then quickly spat on the spot 

• stepee 1
  • Sicko Sherman 1

59 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

What's your impression of Germany? I found Berlin in particular... very American.

Yeah honestly you could just cut and paste sections between here and SF and nobody would notice the difference. Found some real German food though. It’s nice, I could see wanting to live in Berlin. But it’s very much a modern city that’s quite similar to any other modern city.

• stepee 1
  • Halal 1

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

But it’s very much a modern city that’s quite similar to any other modern city.

Yup. Even the width of the streets feels more like Houston or Vegas than San Francisco or NYC or even LA.

I know it's because it was blown up and rebuilt by western-modern nations, but it doesn't take away the "genericness" of it.

30 minutes ago, stepee said:

Yeah honestly you could just cut and paste sections between here and SF and nobody would notice the difference. Found some real German food though. It’s nice, I could see wanting to live in Berlin. But it’s very much a modern city that’s quite similar to any other modern city.

How many ausfahrts did you see?

It has to be more than 10 to impress @Nokra

• True 1

I’m just so close and I keep thinking about him and it’s only $20 so I’m gonna visit my panda boo one more time tomorrow - maybe some other friends but not too much since 17 hours or so of travel the next day.

• stepee 1

• stepee changed the title to Heading to San Francisco tomorrow AMA