Heading to [somewhere on Planet Earth] tomorrow AMA - the official D1P travel thread

stepee

QTY9499.jpeg

@CastlevaniaNut18 @CastletonSnob

Definitely treat tower of london as if you are going to a theme park  in regards to preparing for the length and exhaustion to see it all. Especially if you like reading everything regarding the length. My hotel is literally across the street from it so I’ve been around it a lot but didn’t realize how huge it was and how much was here still.

Besides all the several towers you can explore themselves there are several museums throughout as you explore. Also there’s the tours and shows and stuff.

It even has interactive things to play with including games where you can simulate the weapons they used.

Also be prepared to climb lots and lots of stairs. And I wouldn’t go when it’s hot out as there is obviously no air conditioning in the indoor locations.

• stepee 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Biggie said:

That’s bad ass!

This whole place is wayyy cooler than I expected - I really like a lot of the old swords - the crown jewels were very shiny to see in person and neat but they didn’t allow pictures there :(

• stepee 1

20 minutes ago, stepee said:

This whole place is wayyy cooler than I expected - I really like a lot of the old swords - the crown jewels were very shiny to see in person and neat but they didn’t allow pictures there :(

Why no pictures?

57 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Why no pictures?

idk, so thieves can’t examine the room and displays and think of how to steal them? Just a guess. Unfortunately I forgot my meta glasses which I could have used to easily slyly grab some.

• stepee 1
  • Halal 1

11 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Just about a month away now, I can't wait!

Hoping the weather is cooled off quite a bit. How warm is it there now?

It’s been good while Ive been here - mostly mid to high 70s and breezy enough. It feels a bit warmer to me than when it’s the same weather back home idk if that’s humidity or what but overall I’d say quite pleasant. 

Hopefully the far right garbage people will be all done rioting and things cleared up a month from now, kinda made it a bit more of a bummer and made me not want to leave London proper since they didn’t hit here. Should be fine by then I imagine, they will need to catch their breath for a bit before they make up the next reason to be mad at brown people.

• stepee 2

I was an idiot and booked my Buckingham Palace state room tour for tomorrow because I got days mixed up but I guess I’ll get my lazy ass out of bed anyway, see how it is outside, then head to the british market then see some dumb ass clock.

• stepee 1
  • Haha 1

nm went to london zoo instead - had an actually very insightful conversation with the native londoner uber driver during the surprisingly long drive - it was interesting in that he seemed supportive of the riots on a base level of “overcrowding” but on all American issues he would actually be considered quite leftist - I may type more thoughts on it some day but it’s definitely one of the things I love most about travel

• stepee 1
  • Halal 1

5 minutes ago, stepee said:

nm went to london zoo instead - had an actually very insightful conversation with the native londoner uber driver during the surprisingly long drive - it was interesting in that he seemed supportive of the riots on a base level of “overcrowding” but on all American issues he would actually be considered quite leftist - I may type more thoughts on it some day but it’s definitely one of the things I love most about travel

That's why it's weird when you have Americans comparing themselves to other countries, they're so different politically. People on the Right/Left wouldn't know how to fit in there. For example you always hear about Swedish healthcare, yeah but they are also inbred and all get along because acting too different is frowned upon and they're Nazi friendly.

btw @CastlevaniaNut18 one of the reasons I didn’t do Big Ben today and the zoo instead is because there are no tickets left to go inside during my time here! So I’ll just go and see it from the outside at night instead.

You probably already know this but as this is my first time really traveling I am only now finding out that these big city establishments actually sell out and you can potentially not be able to really experience them. 

So anything you want to do (like say, see inside of Big Ben) then I recommend checking them all now to see if they are things you should book in advance or not. I think Big Ben especially you should do quite soon if you wanna. Tower of London is so huge I wouldn’t worry about that one, can do that day before just fine.

• stepee 1
  • Halal 1

2 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

That's why it's weird when you have Americans comparing themselves to other countries, they're so different politically. People on the Right/Left wouldn't know how to fit in there. For example you always hear about Swedish healthcare, yeah but they are also inbred and all get along because acting too different is frowned upon and they're Nazi friendly.

That requires a lot of extra effort and looking at the grey area of things and black and white is so fun tho 

• stepee 1

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

It’s also why taking uber while abroad is so much better than using their public transit imo - it’s a great time to talk to the locals

Oh the London subway is a pain in the ass too. Some of those you have to climb many many stories up and down to get to your train. By the time you find the platform you'd be in a car.

Just now, SuperSpreader said:

Oh the London subway is a pain in the ass too. Some of those you have to climb many many stories up and down to get to your train. By the time you find the platform you'd be in a car.

I haven’t taken it myself but just going through some of the tunnels walking places it seems like a lot.

• stepee 1

Just now, stepee said:

I haven’t taken it myself but just going through some of the tunnels walking places it seems like a lot.

It's good it exists and it gets a lot of usage. Owning a car there must suck and it's expensive. But I can't imagine being elderly or handicapped and needing to use it.

I also just feel so much more comfortable talking politics with strangers abroad. It’s never as sensitive as back home where you have to worry it will turn into some weird rage thing. You both are learning so there isn’t that same me vs you vibe it can quickly devolve into in the states. I’m not saying that they are better about that in EU or anything just that it’s different since you are from different worlds. 

This guy was blown away that you can just up and buy a semi automatic ak-47 in the states - I figured everyone knew!

Also interesting in a similar situation he was saying there should be bans against certain types of knives as that’s the issue there - man that would be a tough one 

• stepee 1

5 minutes ago, stepee said:

Also interesting in a similar situation he was saying there should be bans against certain types of knives as that’s the issue there - man that would be a tough one 

I feel like it's probably very easy to handmake your own..

I'm able to appear very neutral and talk to people here, but it's part of being biracial and passing. Something you learn for survival.

• True 1

3 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

I'm able to appear very neutral and talk to people here, but it's part of being biracial and passing. Something you learn for survival.

Honestly I have to do it with liberals too.. it makes white women think I'm a little slow and dumb. But I'm just pretending to be learning basic shit from them because they're actually saying privileged/racist shit and they don't get things like what someone is thinking about when they're poor.

4 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

Though I mean, if someone starts talking politics with me back home I can appear neutral and talk about, but it’s kinda boring. Here I just actually talk without having to appear a certain way.

• stepee 1

Just now, Keyser_Soze said:

But you want to talk to a proper wanker who'll rob your money not some gent driving a car.

Look, if you want to take the crowded subway and get striking up a conversation it’s your life ok

• stepee 1
  • Sicko 1