Heading to [somewhere on Planet Earth] tomorrow AMA - the official D1P travel thread

stepee

Going to LA from the 18th to 28th for business in the middle. Was just going to be Juanita and myself for the NATO (theater NATO, not military NATO 😂) governance meetings which are the 23rd-26th, but decided to bring the whole fam and do Disneyland, Universal, and some other odds and ends they’ve never been to.

Looking forward to hanging with the fam and catching up with friends, as well as having some pretty important meetings around my distribution platform.

Well we have accepted our fate of being stuck on this cruise. We don’t believe in buying internet on a cruise but we did it now to keep in touch with people on land. Wut’s mom is stable and has family and friends flying in to be with her so we’re just trying to keep in touch with everyone and make the best of the trip while we are here. 

Today we had our first Bahamas stop at Coco Cay. A bit crowded but was nice when the crowds thinned out. Swam in the Caribbean a lot. Tomorrow we are in Nassau.

• stepee 2

MIL’s condition continues to improve. We are both relieved and looking forward to getting back home and seeing her on Sunday. 

We are having fun now. I also smuggled a very large bottle of rum on board yesterday for my husband so that’s helping him too lol. 

• stepee 1

Spent the day at The National Gallery and Trafalgar Square. Then went to the British Museum and saw a bunch of stolen artifacts. Walking in, they had a worker asking for donations and this guy walking next to us(couldn’t tell where he was from with the accent) says “I’m not giving you donations when most of the stuff here is stolen.” He saw me turn my head and apologized and I said, “nah, that’s what I was thinking.” Had a good laugh. 

Went to the Daunt bookstore after, because I love going to different bookstores on trips. It was lovely. 

We were totally exhausted after all that and since we make it a point to try McDonald’s in every country we visit and there was one nearby, so we knocked that one out. Big Mac was just okay, fries were amazing. Love the smaller portion sizes everywhere outside of America. 

Back at the hotel and time to crash. We’re taking the train to Cardiff tomorrow. 

• Hype 1

5 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Spent the day at The National Gallery and Trafalgar Square. Then went to the British Museum and saw a bunch of stolen artifacts. Walking in, they had a worker asking for donations and this guy walking next to us(couldn’t tell where he was from with the accent) says “I’m not giving you donations when most of the stuff here is stolen.” He saw me turn my head and apologized and I said, “nah, that’s what I was thinking.” Had a good laugh. 

Went to the Daunt bookstore after, because I love going to different bookstores on trips. It was lovely. 

We were totally exhausted after all that and since we make it a point to try McDonald’s in every country we visit and there was one nearby, so we knocked that one out. Big Mac was just okay, fries were amazing. Love the smaller portion sizes everywhere outside of America. 

Back at the hotel and time to crash. We’re taking the train to Cardiff tomorrow. 

We're dirty fish & chip stained children touching all the artifacts?

21 minutes ago, gamer.tv said:

Have you been to one of those small, Welsh towns where everyone just speaks Welsh. It’s so surreal it’s charming.

No, we only get to visit Cardiff on this trip. I’m definitely going to explore more of Wales on a future trip. Seeing all the signs in Welsh, then English threw me off at first. And listening to the announcements at the train station in Welsh was neat. 

It’s our last day in London and we’re both just tired. We took the day off to rest. Tomorrow we head to York for a night, then Edinburgh to wrap up the final week of the trip. 

We had to go find a launderette to wash clothes. We only packed a week's worth to save space and planned on doing laundry at the hotel since the Expedia page noted they had that. Then we realized it’s a laundry service, they do it for you. And they charge by each piece. So one tshirt is £10.50. Socks and underwear £6.75. And so on. Absurd doesnt even begin to describe it. I’m not paying essentially $200 for one load of laundry. What in the actual fuck. Walked 15 minutes to the launderette and paid £15 to wash all our stuff. 

• Haha 2
  • Halal 1

15 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I mean, in what world does that even come n close to reasonable? $50 would be absurd. This is something beyond that. 

Sounds like the sort of thing that exists for business travelers whose company will foot the bill for whatever.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

4 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

It’s our last day in London and we’re both just tired. We took the day off to rest. Tomorrow we head to York for a night, then Edinburgh to wrap up the final week of the trip. 

We had to go find a launderette to wash clothes. We only packed a week's worth to save space and planned on doing laundry at the hotel since the Expedia page noted they had that. Then we realized it’s a laundry service, they do it for you. And they charge by each piece. So one tshirt is £10.50. Socks and underwear £6.75. And so on. Absurd doesnt even begin to describe it. I’m not paying essentially $200 for one load of laundry. What in the actual fuck. Walked 15 minutes to the launderette and paid £15 to wash all our stuff. 

I usually do a Laundromat but have used the hotel service if like I just need 2 underwear cleaned

In Paris we found a place next to a cafe. So we put our laundry in and went next door/sat outside enjoying coffee. Switched the laundry to dry and grabbed a snack and another coffee. We ended up just chatting with a few other people doing the same thing. Here in the States if you need a Laundromat you drive to a strip mall and avoid eye contact with any other human.

• True 1