Heading to [somewhere on Planet Earth] tomorrow AMA - the official D1P travel thread

stepee

Really happy I didn’t book the entire trip now! I might not even lose any money besides just staying a night somewhere I didn’t plan on. Missing my flight could have been a lot worse.

• Hugs 1

19 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

My two favorite cities in Europe are London and Vienna.

Vienna is definitely on my list for another trip.

Any reccs for London?

• Hugs 1

Just now, stepee said:

Vienna is definitely on my list for another trip.

Any reccs for London?

Honestly, you really can't go wrong by hitting the usual tourist spots, but my absolute favorite place to visit (perhaps unsurprisingly):

WWW.IWM.ORG.UK

Visit London's museum of modern war and conflict. Exhibitions and events cover real stories of war from WW1 to the present day.
  • stepee 1
  • Hype 1

1 minute ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Honestly, you really can't go wrong by hitting the usual tourist spots, but my absolute favorite place to visit (perhaps unsurprisingly):

WWW.IWM.ORG.UK

Visit London's museum of modern war and conflict. Exhibitions and events cover real stories of war from WW1 to the present day.

Ty! Will check it def.

• Hugs 1

4 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

WWW.IWM.ORG.UK

Seconded! When I was in London for a month back in January of around 2005 or 2006 or so, I spent literally every weekend either at the Imperial War Museum or the British Museum. Free admission and tons of cool stuff to see. :daydream:

23 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

WWW.IWM.ORG.UK

They used to have a World War 1 trench experience that was incredible. Really cool museum.

Go to The British Library and the Tate. The Library has a ton of cool old books on display, and the Tate has a massive collection of paintings by Turner.

• stepee 1

I guess most airlines are switching to free wifi anyway but they really shouldn’t be allowed to charge for it on American Airlines. It just doesn’t work well enough to be smtn to sell.

• stepee 1

I seem to be in a communication spot now but like 90% of the time the wifi simply doesn’t work. I thought it would work with satellite internet or smtn but either way you can’t charge for this bad of an offering.

And it was the same just going from sfo down south so it’s not just international that is bad.

• stepee 1

44 minutes ago, stepee said:

I seem to be in a communication spot now but like 90% of the time the wifi simply doesn’t work. I thought it would work with satellite internet or smtn but either way you can’t charge for this bad of an offering.

And it was the same just going from sfo down south so it’s not just international that is bad.

Some flights just have bad equipment or the flight crew doesn't understand it. I always buy wifi on any flight longer than 3 hours, worth it

See if you can edit the connection settings somehow

There doesn’t seem to be anything you can do to fix it, it’s just super unstable. In general the flight has been okay and I like my seat a lot but the service has veen kinda trash here on American. 7.5 hour flight over night and they came ONE time with refreshments and food and no other opportunity to get more food. You had to go to the back if you wanted more to drink but then they ran out of water somehow?

• stepee 1
  • Confused 1

They came back one more time at the end here but didn’t have any soda and they ran out of ice lol oy. So i’m waiting for my cup of the worlds worst coffee to cool down so i can drink some. They did have some large bottles of water they came out with to pour us a small cup which was really generous. 

• stepee 1

2 hours ago, stepee said:

I guess most airlines are switching to free wifi anyway but they really shouldn’t be allowed to charge for it on American Airlines. It just doesn’t work well enough to be smtn to sell.

Sounds like :flag:

• True 1

omg what a day - had some issues with my weird check in time and then the ac didn’t work in my room which is a no no for me so i had to change rooms and now i can relax finally 

• stepee 1
  • Haha 1

Took a small nap and wondering if I should try to zombie mode myself awake another 10 hours or so and sleep at night here to set my internal clock hm. People in Ireland seem REALLY friendly which isn’t what I expected for some reason.

• stepee 1

Actually spending some time in the American south, I think that’s the people that aren’t really into me the most. I can get by if I put on a big smile there with women but otherwise they kinda hate me I think at least that is the vibe I got.

• stepee 1

9 hours ago, stepee said:

There doesn’t seem to be anything you can do to fix it, it’s just super unstable. In general the flight has been okay and I like my seat a lot but the service has veen kinda trash here on American. 7.5 hour flight over night and they came ONE time with refreshments and food and no other opportunity to get more food. You had to go to the back if you wanted more to drink but then they ran out of water somehow?

So weird!!! They always get me all liquored up for free.

• stepee 1

2 hours ago, stepee said:

Took a small nap and wondering if I should try to zombie mode myself awake another 10 hours or so and sleep at night here to set my internal clock hm. People in Ireland seem REALLY friendly which isn’t what I expected for some reason.

Buy melatonin gummies or equivalent, you're gonna be tired af at 3pm for a few days and wide awake at 3am

11 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

They used to have a World War 1 trench experience that was incredible. Really cool museum.

Go to The British Library and the Tate. The Library has a ton of cool old books on display, and the Tate has a massive collection of paintings by Turner.

I absolutely remember that trench experience exhibit as well - it was absolutely fantastic and absolutely horrifying in equal measure!

I will second the recommendations for The British Library and the Tate museum/galleries as well!

• stepee 1