Heading to [somewhere on Planet Earth] tomorrow AMA - the official D1P travel thread

stepee

1 minute ago, TUFKAK said:

Not driving will only be an issue in rural places in Europe, basically impossible to get around a lot of the Greek islands, Sicily, Sardinia etc without a car and you better be able to drive stick if you do.

But the great cities in europe, the continent, etc. all super easy without a car and probably better without one honestly.

Nice, thanks. Thats really good to know about  Greek Islands/Sicily that I would want to make sure to plan to hire a driver for that trip (and thus should make that a singular, slower trip and not blend it with others)

• Hugs 1

10 hours ago, stepee said:

ll also use tech as I can for that. I do think AR could be sweet for that in the future to just casually talk no matter where you are. 

Pre-download the languages on Google translate in case service is slow. It can also live scan text like on menus and translate if you haven't tried it.

• stepee 2

44 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

The French love me and are always warm and welcoming to me.

To be fair I scream American in appearance but I’ve had way more negative interactions with the French than anyone else in Europe.

44 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

Pre-download the languages on Google translate in case service is slow. It can also live scan text like on menus and translate if you haven't tried it.

I just sit at home and practice pre travel to at least be able to have some basic interactions and not be that American 

2 hours ago, TUFKAK said:

To be fair I scream American in appearance but I’ve had way more negative interactions with the French than anyone else in Europe.

Wow. They're always like long lost family to me. They and Greeks love me.

Also @stepee use TripAdvisor, and pre download map data on Google. (They made it convoluted but you can still do it.)

Notify your banks of travel. You can pull money from an ATM and the fees are more or less the same than a Cash Exchange. I prefer because then I don't have to pull a TON of cash or be an obvious tourist in line, I just find a bank and use their ATM. They'll have an English button.

• stepee 1

2 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

Also @stepee use TripAdvisor, and pre download map data on Google. (They made it convoluted but you can still do it.)

Notify your banks of travel. You can pull money from an ATM and the fees are more or less the same than a Cash Exchange. I prefer because then I don't have to pull a TON of cash or be an obvious tourist in line, I just find a bank and use their ATM. They'll have an English button.

Oh good call on downloading map data. And yeah I plan to use atms and my account reimburses all atm fees too which is nice.

• Thanks 1
  • Hugs 1

I mean, I'm super looking forward to my UK trip in a couple months. :shrug: I'm hyped to see the old castles and cathedrals. Head up to the Highlands. It's gonna be great.

And I already spent 3 amazing weeks in Japan last year, so it's not like London is my first international experience.

• stepee 1

8 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I mean, I'm super looking forward to my UK trip in a couple months. :shrug: I'm hyped to see the old castles and cathedrals. Head up to the Highlands. It's gonna be great.

And I already spent 3 amazing weeks in Japan last year, so it's not like London is my first international experience.

Ohh yeah I love old castles and cathedrals! Montreal had some nice old castle like architecture and I loved that when I went years ago.

• Hugs 1

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

Ohh yeah I love old castles and cathedrals! Montreal had some nice old castle like architecture and I loved that when I went years ago.

Yeah, I'm gonna be in awe of going to these structures that are hundreds, literally a thousand years old. Definitely going to be nerding out.

• Hype 1

2 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

Wow. They're always like long lost family to me. They and Greeks love me.

Greeks love me, they just tease me on how trash my Greek is but love that I am making the effort to learn it. Or they just love I am bringing money into the Island.

6 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

My response was more directed at Superspreader's initial post in the thread.

Now Kiss Adventure Time GIF

• Shocked 1

3 hours ago, TUFKAK said:

Greeks love me, they just tease me on how trash my Greek is but love that I am making the effort to learn it. Or they just love I am bringing money into the Island.

Which island do you go to? Loved Crete when I was there 

• stepee 1

3 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

I'm glad you went to Japan so you can see how much London sucks.

I think I'll end up enjoying them both for different reasons. I already have an interest in British history, particularly the Middle Ages, so I'm very excited to see this stuff in person.

• stepee changed the title to Heading to Dublin tomorrow AMA
7 hours ago, gamer.tv said:

If you stand n the very east coast and wave at about 5pm GNT, I’ll wave back! I’m in the Isle of Man and can see Ireland from here.

You can be damn sure I’ll be doing this!!!!

• Hugs 1
  • Hype 1

58 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Have fun! How long are you staying? 

Two months from today I’ll be on a plane to London and I can’t fucking wait. 

I booked 5 nights so far and then I just now booked tonight since I realized Im arriving 5am Dublin time. After that I’ll definitely be heading to Paris to visit before the olympics, then to London via Train, then probably fly to Germany. I’m thinking around 5 -7 days each and depending on time maybe throw in Rome/Italy. I’m just going to book each location from the next so I don’t have to be super strict.

• stepee 2
  • Hugs 1

16 minutes ago, stepee said:

I booked 5 nights so far and then I just now booked tonight since I realized Im arriving 5am Dublin time. After that I’ll definitely be heading to Paris to visit before the olympics, then to London via Train, then probably fly to Germany. I’m thinking around 5 -7 days each and depending on time maybe throw in Rome/Italy. I’m just going to book each location from the next so I don’t have to be super strict.

Graubünden when?

23 minutes ago, stepee said:

yep missed my connecting flight so I spent about 8 hours traveling to move about 30 minutes up to a different airport. Wee. Trying again tomorrow with a direct flight.

Do they have services like Lyft or Uber? 

9 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Do they have services like Lyft or Uber? 

Apparently lyft doesn’t operate and uber only can call regular taxis there. So you just use taxis. But they have some apps there like this one called “free now” to use an app to get one still.

• Hugs 1