900 dead in Mecca pilgrimage as temperatures reach 51.8C (125F)

WWW.LEMONDE.FR

Temperatures hit 51.8°C in Mecca, Islam's holiest city, on Monday, as 1.8 million people took part in the annual pilgrimage.

An Arab diplomat told Agence France-Presse (AFP) that deaths among Egyptians alone had jumped to "at least 600," from more than 300 a day earlier, mostly from the unforgiving heat. That figure brought the total reported dead so far to 922, according to an AFP tally of figures released by various countries.

About 1.8 million people from all over the world, many old and infirm, took part in the days-long, mostly outdoor pilgrimage, held this year during the oven-like Saudi summer.

• Shocked 2

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

This is good video to learn more about the hajj and the locations in Mecca associated with it.

Very interesting video. That guy does a great job narrating it. 

On 6/23/2024 at 5:38 PM, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

There are always deaths during the Hajj, but the heat this year has boosted the fatalities significantly.

I remember when I was a kid, a good friend of the family died on Hajj. He was very overweight though.

2 hours ago, legend said:

Here's my spicy take: It's morally irresponsible for religions to encourage this kind of behavior and it's a societal failing that we give religions a pass for these moral failings.

Im getting a church burning down tattooed on me soon; maybe I’ll just change it to a nondescript house of worship instead to encompass the people offended of all religions, good to be inclusive. Wouldn’t want anyone to feel left out.

Of course we all know how that’d go over in certain places, yes I include the flyover states too.

2 hours ago, legend said:

Here's my spicy take: It's morally irresponsible for religions to encourage this kind of behavior and it's a societal failing that we give religions a pass for these moral failings.

Well, that's just factual. I'll add that its clearly monetized as well, so once again another Earth deity's finances directly impact the health and well being of their devotees.   

59 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

Im getting a church burning down tattooed on me soon; maybe I’ll just change it to a nondescript house of worship instead to encompass the people offended of all religions, good to be inclusive. Wouldn’t want anyone to feel left out.

Of course we all know how that’d go over in certain places, yes I include the flyover states too.

I get where you're coming from. All religious beliefs are built on faulty epistemology. It'd be nice if we could fix that whole problem, but the fact is being rigorous all the time is hard for everyone and being particularly hostile to a specific manifestation of it doesn't seem likely to sway people. To believers, being generally hostile to religion will make it look like you just don't get what they value and therefore your opinion can be disregarded because you cannot understand.

Of course, I understand why you would target religion more specifically from other poorly formed beliefs. While bad epistemology is rampant across all aspects of humanity, religious beliefs are often much more consequential. But it doesn't *have* to be that way. Therefore, I think it's more useful is to be hostile to specific aspects of religious beliefs/behaviors that are producing the tangibly bad outcomes (like this). That is a place a religious person could meet you even if you disagree on religious belief in general. If we accomplished that, religion would lose its unique properties that make you want to be hostile toward it in particular.

1 minute ago, legend said:

I get where you're coming from. All religious beliefs are built on faulty epistemology. It'd be nice if we could fix that whole problem, but the fact is being rigorous all the time is hard for everyone and being particularly hostile to a specific manifestation of it doesn't seem likely to sway people. To believers, being generally hostile will make it look like you just don't get what they value and therefore your opinion can be disregarded because you cannot understand.

Of course, I understand why you would target religion more specifically from other poorly formed beliefs. While bad epistemology is rampant across all aspects of humanity, religious beliefs are often much more consequential. But it doesn't *have* to be that way. Therefore, I think it's more useful is to be hostile to specific aspects of religious beliefs/behaviors that are producing the tangibly bad outcomes (like this). That is a place a religious person could meet you even if you disagree on religious belief in general. If we accomplished that, religion would lose its unique properties that make you want to be hostile toward it in particular.

While I understand your perspective, as a born again atheist I’m so tired of having to be mindful of their fucking feelings on their Iron Age nonsense. I’m vehemently anti-religious for very good reasons, not just philosophical and epistemological ones. In this case referencing the Abraham religions as they’re what I’m most familiar with and they will never lose the things I despise about them. We will never have a common ground, they being the true believers not Easter Christian’s nor do I care to have one with them. Dialogue with them doesn’t work, so I mock them.

Reminder Muhammad was a child rapist and Yahweh destroyed an entire town for the sin of sexual liberation. Almost like their whole beliefs are bullshit and a pox on the rest of us.

8 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

I don’t know if decondioned is an actual word and at this point I’m too afraid to ask

It’s a bodybuilding thing mainly but is also used in exercise sciences too. Like I’m currently that etc. despite the typo that I have on mobile legit all the time.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Siebzehn said:

I definitely googled it ready to learn a cool new word. I was underwhelmed 

Google macro cycles then to keep the focus on something tangible and more interesting than the fever dreams of illiterate child rapists.

2 hours ago, TUFKAK said:

While I understand your perspective, as a born again atheist I’m so tired of having to be mindful of their fucking feelings on their Iron Age nonsense. I’m vehemently anti-religious for very good reasons, not just philosophical and epistemological ones. In this case referencing the Abraham religions as they’re what I’m most familiar with and they will never lose the things I despise about them. We will never have a common ground, they being the true believers not Easter Christian’s nor do I care to have one with them. Dialogue with them doesn’t work, so I mock them.

Reminder Muhammad was a child rapist and Yahweh destroyed an entire town for the sin of sexual liberation. Almost like their whole beliefs are bullshit and a pox on the rest of us.

It can absolutely be tiring. Especially when facing the worst offenders. All the same, I prefer the most effective approach precisely because I care about things improving.