SCOTUS rules 6-3 holding that U.S. citizens have no constitutional liberty interest in their non-citizen spouses being admitted to the country.

• Jason changed the title to SCOTUS rules 6-3 holding that U.S. citizens have no constitutional liberty interest in their non-citizen spouses being admitted to the country.
37 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

inb4 American citizens don't have a constitutional right to;

• Start a business that competes against a corporation
  • Leave the country

Let's make a list!

We already have less of a right to leave the country than people in pretty much every other nation in the world do.

This case really highlights the poor structure of our immigration system. Justice Sotomayor’s dissent lays it out in great detail. the story is pretty ridiculous. The husband of the citizen who filed suit likely could have just kept living in the country the rest of his life, with some worry of deportation, but his wife is a lawyer and they tried to proceed the correct legal way.

He ultimately was denied his immigration visa when he returned to his home country for processing because some agent of the consulate was pretty sure he was an MS-13 gang member. It took years of court challenges for the government to even tell them that was the reason, so that they could gather evidence against that assertion.

I think Gorsuch was correct in his concurrence that the case was moot as the government did eventually comply with the request to explain the actual rationale (not just the statutory basis), and the state department does have broad discretion to approve or deny visa applications. I can understand the view that their response was not timely, but the end result was that they were furnished the information requested.

But the majority indeed went further than Gorsuch would have gone if he wrote the opinion. I am not sure it is the cataclysmic outcome that some are suggesting, but Sotomayor is correct that it could have been decided just on the narrow issue Gorsuch raised. I actually wonder if the vote might have been 7-2 with Kagan joining if they had just used Gorsuch’s position?

I was flagged once as suspicious and had to get interviewed every time I'd come back to the US. Finally I told an Agent "hi I got the X again" (they would mark an X on your photo) and he typed into his computer. "Oh yeah, someone is looking for someone, they think you have a lot of money that isn't clean, this clearly isn't you." And with a click (probably the delete button) it's never happened since.

One time an agent during that time was like, "... You didn't bring anything back with you.. like a lot of money..?" I was like lmao no... I was doing press abroad, here's some articles with my picture from two days ago. And she was still sus.

14 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

"... You didn't bring anything back with you.. like a lot of money..?" I was like lmao no... I was doing press abroad, here's some articles with my picture from two days ago. And she was still sus.

Of course she was still sus, this was the picture you showed her

1000_F_488754561_QlMtThzMe0E78wQCTjcEKh4

• True 1

15 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

I was flagged once as suspicious and had to get interviewed every time I'd come back to the US. Finally I told an Agent "hi I got the X again" (they would mark an X on your photo) and he typed into his computer. "Oh yeah, someone is looking for someone, they think you have a lot of money that isn't clean, this clearly isn't you." And with a click (probably the delete button) it's never happened since.

One time an agent during that time was like, "... You didn't bring anything back with you.. like a lot of money..?" I was like lmao no... I was doing press abroad, here's some articles with my picture from two days ago. And she was still sus.

I have a very common Hispanic first and last name. I would get stopped coming back to the US every time until I got global entry last year. Shit was annnoying.

• Halal 1

9 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

If you're a member of any minority group and you haven't started making plans to move out of a red state, you should probably get on that.

I think I'll be ok in Virginia? Can't move anyway