Did you like the Dark Phoenix movie? Then you'll LOVE the JJverse Trek prequel that everyone's been clamoring for!

6 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

As someone who really liked Star Trek '09, hated Into Darkness, hated The Rise of Skywalker, hated Dark Phoenix and hate almost all of Kinberg's work, all I can respond is with this:

XXX: State of the Union was a fantastic movie for that car chase scene. Pure genius :chefkiss:

• Haha 1

The project has already been in development at the studio for some time, with Seth Grahame-Smith (“Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter”) handing the screenplay and Toby Haynes (“Andor,” “Black Mirror: USS Callister”) on board to direct. Insiders say the film is intended as an origin story for the main timeline of the “Star Trek” franchise (rather than the alternate, Kelvin timeline started with 2009’s “Star Trek”), set in the aftermath of humanity’s first contact with aliens.

jimmy fallon no GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

3 hours ago, Brian said:

jimmy fallon no GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Agreed. This sounds like a prequel to even the show Enterprise. They want to set it in a time period where humanity only has 1 prototype warp 1 ship? Is this going to be purely a geopolitical movie with Earth governments coming together and brokering diplomatic relationships with the Vulcans? I mean to put this into perspective Warp 1 is basically the speed of light, so it would take a human ship over 4 years to reach our closest neighboring star system. 

the only way I see this being interesting is if they make it a spy thriller with a group that are basically the precursors to Section 31 with an agent who is not unlike Jack Ryan. 

This really seems like the worst time period if you want a movie that takes place on a star ship. 

53 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

How much of a prequel is it? Because if it goes back further than when Kirk was born, then wouldn't it also technically be in the "prime" universe?

That’s what Brian quoted. That it would be set in the prime universe in the aftermath of humanity’s first contact with aliens. 

The show Enterprise took place 100 years after first contact on humanity’s first warp 5 vessel. Which ended with essentially the Federation being formed. So it is either not really in the aftermath of first contact, or it is and humanity is barely able to escape our solar system. 

4 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Agreed. This sounds like a prequel to even the show Enterprise. They want to set it in a time period where humanity only has 1 prototype warp 1 ship? Is this going to be purely a geopolitical movie with Earth governments coming together and brokering diplomatic relationships with the Vulcans? I mean to put this into perspective Warp 1 is basically the speed of light, so it would take a human ship over 4 years to reach our closest neighboring star system. 

the only way I see this being interesting is if they make it a spy thriller with a group that are basically the precursors to Section 31 with an agent who is not unlike Jack Ryan. 

This really seems like the worst time period if you want a movie that takes place on a star ship. 

Terra Prime type storyline where they delve into how Warp travel spurred a post WWIII Earth we see in First Contact to become(mostly) the Utopian Earth we see by the start of Enterprise?

I dunno. This also all has to be in the context of something that is good as a standalone, 2 hourish story. Something Star Trek has always struggled with compared to TV episodes.

While there's a chance this project could be good, you Trekkie fans should probably prepare for the worst. I mean, Simon Kinberg and J.J. Abrams producing? Seth Grahame-Smith writing (he wrote the pretty bad Dark Shadows and Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter)? The only thing that gives me hope based on the current info is director Toby Haynes. He's never directed a movie before but he did direct six episodes of Andor and two of the best episodes of Black Mirror (including the USS Callister episode with Jesse Plemons) but a good director can't overcome a bad writer and bad producers, they'd be getting their talent crushed from two sides. 

16 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

Terra Prime type storyline where they delve into how Warp travel spurred a post WWIII Earth we see in First Contact to become(mostly) the Utopian Earth we see by the start of Enterprise?

I dunno. This also all has to be in the context of something that is good as a standalone, 2 hourish story. Something Star Trek has always struggled with compared to TV episodes.

yeah that’s kind of what I am getting at. For a show that time period may be interesting. To some at least. With little to no ships or maybe it is about the development and testing of prototype ships that could be tough to attract an audience as there is no real grand adventure there. That did not seem to happen until Enterprise where humanity was finally venturing out to meet new species.