The Search for More Money: Spaceballs 2 in development

VARIETY.COM

A "Spaceballs" sequel is in development at Amazon MGM Studios. Josh Gad is attached to star, as well as produce alongside Mel Brooks.

A "Spaceballs" sequel is in development at Amazon MGM Studios, a source close to production tells Variety. Josh Gad is set to star, and will produce alongside Mel Brooks.

Josh Greenbaum will direct the film from a screenplay by Benji Samit, Dan Hernandez, and Gad, while Kevin Salter will executive produce. Plot details are being kept under wraps.

No one is asking for this.

Previously, Brooks said that he wouldn't make it unless Rick Moranis came out of retirement. Maybe that's the case?

2 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

After History of the World Part II, I'm totally fine if this project never sees the light of day.

This was my thought as well. I haven't seen it but heard pretty universally bad things. It's hard to believe Mel Brooks is now 97 years old. I mean, Spaceballs was 1987 and Robin Hood: Men in Tights was 1993. He'll only be producing here, but he hasn't made anything good since then (anyone remember Life Stinks or Dracula: Dead and Loving It?). 

3 hours ago, CastletonSnob said:

Wasn't there a REALLY bad Spaceballs cartoon?

There was, in 2008, that lasted for one season for 13 episodes. I haven't seen it but apparently it's terrible. As I said in the Happy Gilmore 2 thread (yes, they're also trying to make a Happy Gilmore 2), legacy sequels are very hard to do. Legacy comedy sequels are even harder to do if you go off of past examples like Coming 2 America, Zoolander 2, Anchorman 2, Joe Dirt 2 and Space Jam 2. People probably don't even remember a Super Troopers 2 was even made and it's unfortunately apparently not that good either. A lot will depend on the writer(s) and director that end up making this, but I don't have a lot of hope. I understand there is Bill & Ted Face the Music and Borat 2 but I feel these are rare exceptions to this. 

4 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

Forget about Spaceballs 2, what’s the last spoof movie that was any good?

Depends on what you consider a "spoof". The two Jump Street movies were pretty great (mocking the original show and undercover cops infiltrating schools to stop crime) and The Lost City (with Brad Pitt and Sandra Bullock) was solid which spoofs movies like Romancing the Stone. But they aren't spoofs like a film that has a string of SNL-style sketches throughout or something.

31 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Depends on what you consider a "spoof". The two Jump Street movies were pretty great (mocking the original show and undercover cops infiltrating schools to stop crime) and The Lost City (with Brad Pitt and Sandra Bullock) was solid which spoofs movies like Romancing the Stone. But they aren't spoofs like a film that has a string of SNL-style sketches throughout or something.

MacGruber

• Halal 1