Metroid Prime 4: Beyond (Planned for 2025)

I don’t think a Metroid has ever been a launch title?  Did Samus Returns make it for the Game Boy?  Honestly I kind of expect a new fully 3D Mario announcement for the Switch 2.

This looks good though and glad to have some proof of life.  I’d be happy to see it be a platform straddling title, or for Switch 2 to be fully BC.

3 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

I don’t think a Metroid has ever been a launch title?  Did Samus Returns make it for the Game Boy?  Honestly I kind of expect a new fully 3D Mario announcement for the Switch 2.

This looks good though and glad to have some proof of life.  I’d be happy to see it be a platform straddling title, or for Switch 2 to be fully BC.

God that would be so awesome for a 3D Mario game to launch with the Switch 2. Metroid could very well launch simultaneously on the Switch and Switch 2. 

3 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

Do I play 2 and 3? I sorta played the Prime remake and though, I think I'm good. But now I've got a mild itch. 

Both are great games of their own accord.  The few things Prime 1 doesn't do well, namely combat that turns into simon-says color matching by the end, are improved in 2 and 3.  I'd also say the enviornment design by the end of 2 and 3 far supersceeds Prime 1.  Lots of holy shit that's cool things.  But they aren't as consistent about it either.

2 is by far the most difficult, especially in the Gamecube original release.  The world switching mechanic gets a bit annoying with how the dark side treats you.  Its final area is my favorite in the 3D series.  You might need a guide for the near-end of the game.  It's the most cryptic of the three.

3 is more 'cinematic' to its detriment.  Namely the first few hours are weak.  But it eventually settles into the Prime structure, just with different planets as opposed to one interconnected world.  It has some of the highest highs (and lows) of the Prime series, boss fights are epic (if not a bit mashy), and the ending sequence is a franchise highlight.

Another cool thing about Prime 3, you don't lose any of your abilities at the start.  You're fully there, everything is additive.  For what its worth, it came out right around Bioshock, and but ending up sticking with with me more.  People were so enamored with the HD twins and anti-Wii at the time, including about its controls, I feel the game never truly got its fair shake.  Those who saw it through know, it brings you places you always hoped the franchise would end up at.

2 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Ok? That shit looks fantastic. I think that Quest 3 got your eyes fucked up. 

It looks extremely similar to Metroid Prime remastered. I will buy it day one. "Ok" means good lol. Relax. 

• Halal 1

The original Metroid Primes were some some of my favorite games of all time, but honestly this trailer really barely shows us anything. Is there a single new gameplay element or new console generation sparkle or anything being shown? It's just more of the same.

I'll also probably get this, even though I'm barely a console gamer anymore, but this trailer isn't really hyping me up.

• True 1

31 minutes ago, ort said:

The original Metroid Primes were some some of my favorite games of all time, but honestly this trailer really barely shows us anything. Is there a single new gameplay element or new console generation sparkle or anything being shown? It's just more of the same.

I'll also probably get this, even though I'm barely a console gamer anymore, but this trailer isn't really hyping me up.

It’s definitely more dynamic and has more going on in the environment from the very small teaser we’ve seen.  

Even if it’s just more Metroid Prime with nicer trappings, it’s still going to be the only game like it released for almost two decades.  

It's sad/hilarious how Nintendo forced Retro to put out this 'gameplay' trailer and publicly hold them to 2025. Given what has been reported about the game's development, Nintendo really didn't do them any favors!

22 minutes ago, Chris- said:

It's sad/hilarious how Nintendo forced Retro to put out this 'gameplay' trailer and publicly hold them to 2025. Given what has been reported about the game's development, Nintendo really didn't do them any favors!

Huh?  We haven’t heard anything about a troubled development since Retro started rebooting it.  If anything their success with Remastered should instill some confidence.

Its not a bad trailer either.  Not jaw dropping or anything, but it’s focused on what the game looks like, very much as a follow up.

You could similar things for Perfect Dark this year, though maybe there’s a few more questions there with the player movement looking scripted at parts.

Why would this game be a pass if they don’t rerelease 2&3?  If anything, releasing them shortly before the new one is going to cannibalize sales because you’re getting two, probably very similar games for the same price.

Just now, LazyPiranha said:

Why would this game be a pass if they don’t rerelease 2&3?  If anything, releasing them shortly before the new one is going to cannibalize sales because you’re getting two, probably very similar games for the same price.

We need that Sylux lore dump, remaster Hunters and Federation Force you cowards

I have a theory that the "Beyond" in the title could be referencing where we're going. The logo looks a bit like a black hole render, so maybe we travel through a black hole, to a galaxy or dimension beyond it. 

spacer.png

3 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I haven't played Prime 2 or 3, but I'll still play 4. It's not like I'm invested in the story for the series. The Remaster was a good bit of fun. I'd like Remasters for the other two, but it's not necessary.

This is likely going to be a story reset anyways.  They're using a character from Prime Hunters as a villain.  A game they had no hand in, by long shutdown studio.