Dragon Quest III HD-2D Remake - November 14, 2024, With I and II remake in 2025 | Coming to Switch, PS5, Xbox Series, and PC

Glad to hear they're going to remake 1+2 as well, presumably in this same graphical style. Now it makes a lot more sense why they did the third one first, since story-wise the third game takes place first with 1 and then 2 being direct sequels. I wonder if they'll remake the rest of them? They just spent 25 years remaking the first eight games for the GBC/DS/3DS so to do it all over again seems like a lot but if they're all gorgeous HD-2D remakes that might be worth it. 

So excited to pick this one up. I must admit I wasn't a huge fan of the HD-2D style when they first started using it (the overuse of blur was giving me eye strain) but since the Live-A-Live remake, I've become fully on board with this style. I can't wait to pick this up this year.

• stepee 1

• Keyser_Soze changed the title to Dragon Quest III HD-2D Remake - November 14, 2024, With I and II remake in 2025 | Coming to Switch, PS5, Xbox Series, and PC
58 minutes ago, stepee said:

I actually really like the hd-2d style but I didn’t like Octopath much as a game and would like to experience old school DQ since I never have. In!

They also did Triangle Strategy which, at least to me, looked much better than Octopath and was also a better game. 

5 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

They also did Triangle Strategy which, at least to me, looked much better than Octopath and was also a better game. 

Live A Live

(Also I'm only going to respond to you with titles of things and nothing more from now on :p )

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Live A Live

(Also I'm only going to respond to you with titles of things and nothing more from now on :p )

Yep, Live A Live remake was a HD-2D game, though I'm not sure of it's relevance here since I don't believe it was made by the Octopath Traveler/Triangle Strategy developer.

I think Octopath 1 was actually a really bad game and have no idea why it got so much love. Octopath 2 is tremendously better in every way, even if it shares some of the same foundational weaknesses with its predecessor.

I'll be checking this out. I really have never liked Dragon Quest very much, always find the music grating, the story and characters to be very shallow and barebones, like a boring picture book version of a JRPG. That said, I liked DQXI a lot more than the others, and maybe this fresh coat of paint will help me get into these older titles and see if I might actually like them.

• Halal 1

3 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

I think Octopath 1 was actually a really bad game and have no idea why it got so much love. Octopath 2 is tremendously better in every way, even if it shares some of the same foundational weaknesses with its predecessor.

I'll be checking this out. I really have never liked Dragon Quest very much, always find the music grating, the story and characters to be very shallow and barebones, like a boring picture book version of a JRPG. That said, I liked DQXI a lot more than the others, and maybe this fresh coat of paint will help me get into these older titles and see if I might actually like them.

Did you play IV, V, VI, VII, or IX on the DS Lite?  Those were great. 

• stepee 1

On 6/20/2024 at 9:12 AM, Biggie said:

Did you play IV, V, VI, VII, or IX on the DS Lite?  Those were great. 

I played 8, which I thought was pretty meh. Then 9, which was okay but really long and meandering and it felt like nothing ever actually happened, and... I can't remember if I tried any other ones.

DQ VI is really good. The first game is short, just avoid the original version unless you really want to grind. I enjoyed them all but agree that the series is kind of weak. I'm not sure if I'd really want to replay any of them except VI. If you enjoyed any one of II-V or VII-IX you should enjoy any of the others. DQ VI and XI are my favorites of the series and the first game is the only one I've replayed.

I’ve played and enjoyed most of the 2D games in some form or another. That run of DS games was big for me and my friends in high school. For whatever reason, they started to lose me with the 3D games. There’s something about this style of old school JRPG that I have a hard time with once they get bigger. Maybe it’s the pacing. 

Some day I would love to go back and finish 7. I had fun with it but man it just keeps going and going and going (I'm like 50ish hours into the 3ds version which is generally felt to take between 70-100 hours).

4 hours ago, chakoo said:

Some day I would love to go back and finish 7. I had fun with it but man it just keeps going and going and going (I'm like 50ish hours into the 3ds version which is generally felt to take between 70-100 hours).

I think I finished VII in 85 hours. I didn't dislike it, but it really drug on too long.

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I think I finished VII in 85 hours. I didn't dislike it, but it really drug on too long.

Yeah what you were doing on each new area just feels too repetitive. :/

On 6/20/2024 at 8:37 AM, Xbob42 said:

I just saw Octopath 2 on gamepass. Is it worth a try? 

5 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

If you like JRPGs, sure!

I'm not a seasoned JRPG player but really came to love turn based combat from my experience with Dragon Quest XI. I know what I'm getting into visually but if it has a great story with fun turned based combat I'm going to give it a shot. 

I'm conflicted. The art style looks very appealing, but I really did not care for XI. Like @Xbob42 I found the characters deeply boring, the plot felt very by the numbers -- at least within the time I played it, maybe it gets better -- and I hated how grindy it all was.

However, XI is the only one in the series I've played at all. How are the former entries? I fear they'll be at least as grindy if not more so since grinding was more common in the earlier gaming days. Maybe the characters and stories are better though?

6 minutes ago, legend said:

I'm conflicted. The art style looks very appealing, but I really did not care for XI. Like @Xbob42 I found the characters deeply boring, the plot felt very by the numbers -- at least within the time I played it, maybe it gets better -- and I hated how grindy it all was.

However, XI is the only one in the series I've played at all. How are the former entries? I fear they'll be at least as grindy if not more so since grinding was more common in the earlier gaming days. Maybe the characters and stories are better though?

I can't speak to any of them, but at the very least the Pixel Remasters completely negated any need for grinding in FF1-6, making them much more playable and enjoyable. I'm hoping there's something similar here. The ability to grind if you want to get super powerful, but the flexibility to make it not necessary.

No idea if that's what they'll be doing, though.

6 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I can't speak to any of them, but at the very least the Pixel Remasters completely negated any need for grinding in FF1-6, making them much more playable and enjoyable. I'm hoping there's something similar here. The ability to grind if you want to get super powerful, but the flexibility to make it not necessary.

No idea if that's what they'll be doing, though.

That would be nice!

7 hours ago, legend said:

Versions of DQ I other than the 8 bit original give more exp and gold and the game is short so it's not too grindy. DQ VI has the most interesting world so if you only play one, play VI.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...