Sony buys Alamo Drafthouse Cinema

WWW.HOLLYWOODREPORTER.COM

For more than seven decades, studios weren't allowed to own an exhibition company under the Paramount Consent Decrees, which were rescinded in 2020.

We begin to re-enter the age of vertical studio-theatre integration. This was illegal until the law was repealed under the Trump administration.

• Guillotine 1

I hope a waiter with a flashlight came to talk to them about the bill right in the middle of the climax of their merger negotiations so they got the full Alamo experience.

In the short term, this doesn't move me much. The long term for this is troubling in some ways. Most of the Paramount consent decree stuff is irrelevant to modern practices and is terribly unlikely to come back, but there is good reason to believe that if more studios buy into the market that we will see things like short exclusive windows for films by the studio only in their theaters. The main issue with that isn't freezing out competitors from access, it is the way it confuses consumers.

Confused consumers is a bad scenario for everybody. One of the problems we have currently is that literally nobody has any idea when any movie is going to go from theaters to streaming. People can't make informed decisions about what to see, where to see it, and when, if you don't give them clear indications. The studios hurt their own revenue by creating this atmosphere of confusion, and I can see them only adding to it in time.

• stepee 1
  • True 1
  • Halal 2