Do Chicken Dogs count as Hot Dogs?

Do Chicken Dogs Count as Hot Dogs?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Do Chicken Dogs Count as Hot Dogs?

• Yes -- I love me some chemically separated poultry
    • No -- Emulsified beef trimmings are the only way to go

My wife was at Costco, and decided the Kirkland hot dogs were too expensive, so bought an alternative brand.

I didn't have time to make a real meal last night, so quickly opened the pack and....

The dogs came out and I could immediately tell something was not right.  They were almost as pale as my skin, and flacid like a limp dick.

After cooking, they had no flavour.  Not that hot dogs are "gourmet cuisine", but a hot dog normally has a pretty distinct flavour.

Should hot dog packages be required to call themselves "Chicken Dogs" if they are not made out of beef?

• Sicko 1

2 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Considering that I doubt that "beef" hot dogs are made out of actual cow meat anyway, I'd say they could call the "chicken" hot dogs whatever the hell they want.

This about covers it! 

This isn't like "milk" which has the specific etymological definition of "white liquid food produced by the mammary glands of mammals" and should only be applied to that substance rather than being used for plant-based alternatives which should properly be called "beverages" (oat beverage, almond beverage, etc.).

The color and texture would throw me off ewwwwww. 

I like my hot dogs pink, firm, and full of mystery meat trimmings. Mustard and onions. On a nice bun. 

Come on bro. Do better. 

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Considering that I doubt that "beef" hot dogs are made out of actual cow meat anyway, I'd say they could call the "chicken" hot dogs whatever the hell they want.

As my dad used to say -- "Hot dogs are made from cow lips and assholes.  Chickens don't have lips".

55 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The best hot dogs are turkey dogs anyway.

What Is Wrong With You GIF by Britannia

59 minutes ago, Biggie said:

I like my hot dogs pink, firm, and full of mystery meat trimmings. Mustard and onions. On a nice bun. 

Approve Pedro Pascal GIF by Nordisk Film Finland

I often add cheese and bacon -- but I approve of your choices.

=============================

My additional "research" tells me FDA labelling in the US requires the type of meat to be on the label.

Apparently does not apply in Canada, because I could only find out they were chicken dogs I looked at the ingredients.  Another way the US is superior to Canada.

• Halal 1

10 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

This isn't like "milk" which has the specific etymological definition of "white liquid food produced by the mammary glands of mammals" and should only be applied to that substance rather than being used for plant-based alternatives which should properly be called "beverages" (oat beverage, almond beverage, etc.).

Oh eat my ass. Who cares.

you’ve been talking to them egg people. Haven’t you

edit: simpsons reference butchered. It’s “egg council creeps”

10 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I'm curious as to whether you actually think that something labeled as an "all beef hot dog" might not actually be all beef and why, if you wouldn't mind elaborating?

43 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Internet says the population is too small. I'm guessing they mean there aren't enough people in one location, we're too spread out.

See, the whole county I'm in has a population of 100k. You'd think that'd be enough to get one, maybe. We do have a Sam's Club and that might be fucking up Costco ever entering.

5 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I'm curious as to whether you actually think that something labeled as an "all beef hot dog" might not actually be all beef and why, if you wouldn't mind elaborating?

Because it's a hot dog, of course!  Why waste all that beef on such a commodity product!

5 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Because it's a hot dog, of course!  Why waste all that beef on such a commodity product!

This has the same vibes as the "Subway doesn't use real tuna" conspiracy... what other animal would be readily accessible and equivalently affordable at the scale that Americans eat cow? There's a lot of leftovers from the cuts for things like steak, stew, etc., to say nothing of organ met and other body parts that can be ground up and used as filler, or grades of beef that don't get sold at grocery stores as cuts that people would cook for meals. I think it would probably be more expensive to get some other animal into the mix!

• True 1