Do you wash your meat before cooking it?

Do you wash your meat before cooking?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Do you wash your meat before cooking?

• No, I’m aware of evidence-based practice
    • Yes, my granny taught me to and I always will, no matter what the experts say

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

No, because the definition for washing is that it "typically" involves soap, but not always :p 

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=fruit+%26+vegetable+cleaning+brushes&hvadid=557402515596&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9007261&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=b&hvrand=17543970478380765555&hvtargid=kwd-948892791326&hydadcr=28579_14528972&tag=googhydr-20&ref=pd_sl_27piz8uaqh_b

If you don't scrub root vegetables it's because you don't cook :p 

Yeah I thought about potatoes after I posted that, but otherwise everything else said is nonsense.

In any case I find this alarming because OP is a nurse. Imagine getting an IV stuck in you or a catheter stuck up your urethra and someone thought rinsing was washing, you would get a nasty infection.

Or if you wiped your ass and then rinsed your hands when you were done. Pretty gross man. This isn’t Demuting, the words mean different things

6 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Yeah I thought about potatoes after I posted that, but otherwise everything else said is nonsense.

WWW.FDA.GOV

Fresh produce can become contaminated in many ways, but following these simple steps can help protect you and your family from foodborne illness.

The FDA literally says you should rub vegetables while running water over them, and scrub some. It helps get dirt/bacteria off and also better removes any pesticides. :p 

6 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

In any case I find this alarming because OP is a nurse. Imagine getting an IV stuck in you or a catheter stuck up your urethra and someone thought rinsing was washing, you would get a nasty infection.

Or if you wiped your ass and then rinsed your hands when you were done. Pretty gross man. This isn’t Demuting, the words mean different things

It's obvious when soap should be applied and when it shouldn't be. 

Come On Biden GIF by GIPHY News

3 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Yes, I always wash chicken in scalding hot water before cooking it.

I know people that boil chicken before cooking it in the intended method.

2 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

THAT'S A FANTASTIC IDEA!!!

I've had boiled and then fried chicken. Like boiled, rolled in flour and spices, and then fried. It wasn't bad at all.

34 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I know people that boil chicken before cooking it in the intended method.

That's a method used to retain moisture in the chicken and doesn't have to do with washing/rinsing/cleaning it. For frying it actually makes so less oil absorbs and it's crispier.

6 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

This just kinda makes me want to slap you.

• Shocked 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sicko 1

Not unless there's something on it that needs to be rinsed off, and that's all it would be in that case: a rinse. I know some real sick fucks (online) who wash raw chicken with like dish soap. The fuck did you learn that dumb nonsense? Cooking it *is* cleaning it, bitches!

• Thanks 1

On 6/11/2024 at 8:39 AM, Brian said:

I have rinsed chicken a handful of times when I opened a package and it had a bit of a funk to it. If it still smelled funky after a rinse, I typically offer to my neighbor for his dogs. Otherwise I don’t rinse meats.

This is the only time it’s acceptable to rinse meat. I do it with vacuum sealed pork. It comes out smelling funky and rinsing gets rid of the smell.

• Hugs 1

11 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Juanita says you should not rinse store bought meat, but you should rinse freshly butchered. This lady knows ball when it comes to cooking, close the thread.

She knows ball?

Spoiler

Deez Nutz 

:fap:

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Juanita says you should not rinse store bought meat, but you should rinse freshly butchered. This lady knows ball when it comes to cooking, close the thread.

At least someone knows ball in Houston because the Asterisks don’t. 
Bryan Cranston Mic Drop GIF

On 6/12/2024 at 9:51 AM, sblfilms said:

That's what I had read too, honestly I never gave any thought to washing store bought meat at all until I moved up to the mainland.

I think the only meat I rinse is when im taking a whole bird out of the package and it’s got that bird juice/slime all over it.  Not because I think it’s dirty, but because I need to dry the surface before I rub it with something and it’s easier to dry it off with paper towels when it’s covered in water and not slime.  

The only time I do this is when I'm making Hainanese chicken rice; after I give the bird a salt massage, I rinse it before poaching.

42 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

I think the only meat I rinse is when im taking a whole bird out of the package and it’s got that bird juice/slime all over it.  Not because I think it’s dirty, but because I need to dry the surface before I rub it with something and it’s easier to dry it off with paper towels when it’s covered in water and not slime.  

Also this, I suppose.