Steam Next Fest - Not E3 Edition (Metal Slug Tactics, Flintlock, The Alters, etc)

header_alt_assets_0.jpg?t=1718277995

Time Spent: 20 minutes

Rating:  ***

Very short demo, but enough to convince me this will be another competent F-Zero like.  Compared to Aero GP it feels more like a game about gliding in and out of turns.  But there's only racing against ghosts.  And that's not a good hook for a racing game at all.

header.jpg?t=1717791447

Time Spent: 60 minutes

Rating:  ***½

The more I played, yeah, this is something special.  First impressions are not the best, from the slightly drab throwback graphics with only decent seeming movement.  Then you realize that you can wall run, and can use your fishing hook to play with momentum.  Then the game becomes like Breath of the Wild, dumping you in an open area with platforming challenges scattered across the landscape, where half the fun is figuring out what the intended path is.  It stops telling you how to do things and assumes you're smart enough to figure it out.  For a demo or prologue chapter, it can be quite hard.

Once Human
Level Zero: Extraction
Test Drive Unlimited Solar Crown
Tiny Glade
Wizard of Legend 2
Metal Slug Tactics
DUCKSIDE
The Alters
BUS: Bro u Survived
Dungeon Clawler

Crypt Custodian seems like a pretty cool Zelda like. I like that you are a cat. My only concern would be how the combat holds up but it seems solid.

Akatori is insanely beautiful and the combat feels nice. In.

Pinball Spire seems really rad. It’s less Yoku (couldn’t get into that one) and more like Nintendo’s pinball games, probably most inspired by Metroid Pinball. Whoever is making it knows what they are doing making it pop this good on the oled deck.

I was more positive on Teal Lotus than Brian. I feel for as much as you use it, the “jump off of enemy/object” mechanic could feel better. I think even rumble will help. Probably some more of POP animation or something to make it snappy. But by the time I got the bat item, I really liked that mechanic, and it was feeling pretty good to play. And yeah I think it’s just GORGEOUS.

Tried some racer that I thought looked neat Cyberrush but it was kinda garb.

Parcel Corps seems like it has potential as a JSR-like. Runs like ass on deck tho and no graphics options. I just want to check out how some of these play real quick so the heavy tutorial beginning isn’t how you get me hooked in a demo. I’ll see how it looks after launch.

Only way Down is a game where you play a cat at a construction site and have to make your way down. Unfortunately it’s totally charmless and kinda feels like someone just bought an asset pack and figured let’s do reverse little kitty big city. Also prob just more cat death than I like to watch in general.

Yars Rising feels just a tiny bit stiff to me but besides that won me over with its Megamanvania Saturday Morning Cartoon vibes.

• Halal 1

Tried Warrior Spirit. It’s a 3D platformer. It seems pretty bad. Ugly and lacking polish and doesn’t feel great.

Sacred Acorn is a top down ZeldaSouls with a squirrel. It’s closer than Warrior Spirit, but another one that feels like the devs aren’t ready for prime time yet. The movement is too slow and combat feels stiff. It’s almost nice looking but something with the design is off. This one has potential maybe if it’s super early but beyond that, maybe their next game fares better.

Constance is back to good stuff. Seems like a Hollow Knight-like but not as difficult and more cheery. Looks good, feels good. Q4 25 tho so actually didn’t need to try this one so early :P

• Halal 1

Fading Skies is a 3D platformer where you have a dragon pet. It has some potential but needs a lot more polish and the settings you have to run it at on deck don’t look great, thought it looks pretty nice on a more powerful system. Will have to see on this one.

Basureroes Invasion is a gba feeling action platformer where you can switch between a team of 6 superheroes with different abilities at any time. a nice SMB3 map too. Thought the demo was a lot of fun and my only concern is the page says 20 levels and if so I hope they are longer than those two.

I’ll see how impressions are for Flintlock if it holds up but it seems pretty sweet. I assume it’s doing the spider verse thing with the animation? Seems a little strange since the rest of the game doesn’t seem stylized in a way that goes with it. Hoping at launch it has options for graphics settings, feel like just a little shadow downgrade and I’d be good on deck. Combat has good crunch.

On 6/10/2024 at 10:46 AM, Brian said:
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

You're a little crow trying to prove herself to the world. Make new animal friends, poop on unsuspecting hoomans, and steal all the shiny trinkets! Each level is a little sandbox...

STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Crypt Custodian is a charming metroidvania about cleaning up the afterlife. Play as Pluto - a mischievous cat who has died, and is sentenced to be the afterworld's janitor...

STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Hunt the military-industrial complex across stylish comic book micro-sandboxes in this fast-paced covert revenge thriller FPS from the developers of El Paso, Elsewhere.

Hoping to try the above

I was saving Im your Beast as one of my last ones and it didn’t disappoint. Day1 for me. It’s got the mechanics and it’s got the style. Would also make an amazing Quest game. NOLF fans should be happy.

Just saw this is from the devs of El Paso, Everywhere, is that as bad as I’ve heard?

Crypt Custodian was good too so you were 2/3.

9 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I think only ShreddieMercury hates it. Everyone else I've heard talk about it seem to enjoy it. :p

Oh I know one person here really hated it so maybe that’s all it is lol

Final demo: Big Catch - fun 3D platformer with tight but slightly difficult to master mechanics. I think Retro mode looks best currently with the chunky pixels covering the more rough aspects of the presentation. Definitely a lot of potential here and it’s a prologue that is a stand alone chapter so I’ll be keeping this one and poking at it until the release.

All in all ended up with 14 games I’ll definitely check when they come out so pretty good Next Fest! Another handful I’ll watch and see how they turn out.

I went in thinking Just Crow Things was a lock. Pretty disappointing

I played Wild Bastards briefly. Not enough to form a solid opinion of it but it looked nice and ran well on the Ally. 

• Sad 1

Tried a few others, just not for long since the deadline is approaching and who knows how long they stay up.

Caravan Sandwich - Looks okay, but plays great.  Imagine if Rime felt better to play, and was more of an open world game about collecting things and marking scanned locations.  Except better than that sounds.

Grapple Dogs 2 - no familiarity with the first game, but this is great, like the game classic 2D sonic always wanted it be.  The yellow dog is much more fun than the gun one though.

What the Car? - Just as amazing as What the Golf, but feels more polished.  Something they're doing with the camera makes it feel great to play.  It's just as zany and stupid.

Kitsune Tails - I'm not quite as big a fan as steepe.  It feels just a little bit off, like you can't turn as well as SMB3 or something.  But as far as clones go, this might be the best out there I've tried at aping Mario.

Arranger - Has better production values than the concept might deserve.  But I guess that also elevates it.  This could be something great with the polish it is getting.

Sacre Blu - 2d platformer with bullet time and rocket jumping.  Seems like a good time, but I already got worn thin on the combat pretty quickly, trying to reverse arrows shot at me with gun blasts.

Knights in Tight Spaces - Only got a few minutes in, not enough to judge a game like this.

Parking Garage Circut - Pretty good, love the arcadey feel that makes racing in parking lots seem okay.  It's a bit one note however, I don't see how this would hold my attention for much longer than the demo.

• Hugs 1

5 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Tried a few others, just not for long since the deadline is approaching and who knows how long they stay up.

Caravan Sandwich - Looks okay, but plays great.  Imagine if Rime felt better to play, and was more of an open world game about collecting things and marking scanned locations.  Except better than that sounds.

Grapple Dogs 2 - no familiarity with the first game, but this is great, like game classic 2D sonic always wanted it be.  The yellow dog is much more fun than the gun one though.

Yeah Grapple Dog is still best boy but I do like them mixing it up. The first game is all yellow dog (grapple dog)

Ohhhh mannnnn

STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

VIVIDLOPE, the head-spinning, mind-bending arcade game with a puzzle touch! Master the imaginative realm, where the gravity doesn't quite work as you're used to, overcome your...

Im digging this. It technically doesn’t belong here as it’s just a game that came out last month that has a demo. But the good news is if you like it the full game is out right now and $10. Unfortunately it doesn’t continue from the demo though. 

I stole this one from a resetera thread about modern Dreamcast like games. I can see it. It’s a 3D puzzle platformer sorta deal and I could see it getting a bit addictive. 

Steam Reviews (250+) currently 98%

• stepee 1

On 6/16/2024 at 10:53 PM, stepee said:

Constance is back to good stuff. Seems like a Hollow Knight-like but not as difficult and more cheery. Looks good, feels good. Q4 25 tho so actually didn’t need to try this one so early :P

Hey this one wasn't bad.  I'm all about the vibes, don't know if the level design is quite up to the standard yet.  Lots of spiky barbs to dash through.  But this could end up okay.

This is a ratchet and clank-like

STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

In the action-adventure platformer, Akimbot, blast your way through armies of robots, pilot spaceships and forge your own path to save the universe from impending doom! Set in a sci-fi world where only robots exist, travel the galaxy and experience non-stop robot mayhem and explosive action!

Didn't try it though. Just putting it here for @stepee

• 1 month later...
On 6/11/2024 at 5:14 AM, crispy4000 said:

header.jpg?t=1717174158

Time Spent: 20 minutes

Rating:  ***½

This game is basically F-Zero X.  Well, if F-Zero X was a bit faster but not as crazy as GX.  And your health and boost meters aren't shared.  It's one of the most on-the-nose games I've ever seen about aping Nintendo, but they get it so right, who cares.  They even do the outer half-pipe thing.  It needs rumble though, almost feels wrong to me without it.

It’s out!