Steam Next Fest - Not E3 Edition (Metal Slug Tactics, Flintlock, The Alters, etc)

STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Steam Next Fest is a week-long celebration featuring hundreds of FREE playable demos as well as developer livestreams and chats. Players try out upcoming games on Steam pre-release, developers gather feedback and build an audience ahead of their Steam launch, everyone wins!

I'll start pulling out some of the demo links in other threads and put them here.

header.jpg?t=1717001814 spacer.png

header.jpg?t=1717788061header.jpg?t=1712071701

header.jpg?t=1718039429header.jpg?t=1718040124

header.jpg?t=1717519878header.jpg?t=1715024925

header.jpg?t=1717647537header.jpg?t=1718008872

header.jpg?t=1717695205header.jpg?t=1718037009

header.jpg?t=1717963154header.jpg?t=1717801670

header.jpg?t=1718025897header.jpg?t=1717768520

header.jpg?t=1718035231 header.jpg?t=1717709422

header.jpg?t=1718038766header.jpg?t=1718031677

header.jpg?t=1716798152header_alt_assets_3.jpg?t=1717863645

header.jpg?t=1718041403header.jpg?t=1718040925

header.jpg?t=1718039169header.jpg?t=1717981746

header.jpg?t=1717792991header.jpg?t=1717802906

header.jpg?t=1717990219header.jpg?t=1717725814

header.jpg?t=1718029669header.jpg?t=1718038636

header.jpg?t=1718011791header.jpg?t=1717174158

header.jpg?t=1717779935header.jpg?t=1717462927

header.jpg?t=1717969223header.jpg?t=1717791447header.jpg?t=1715609329header.jpg?t=1717942780

Next Fest Demos (my ratings)
Soul Quest - ***

Windswept - ***½

Akatori - ****

Big Boy Boxing - **

Pipistrello - ***

Clockwork Ambrosia  -  ***

Areo Drift GP - ***½

Victory Heat Rally - **½

Wizard of Legend 2 - **½

Phantom Spark - ***

Big Catch - ***½

• Halal 1
  • Hype 1

• crispy4000 changed the title to Steam Next Fest - Not E3 Edition (Metal Slug Tactics, Flintlock, etc)
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

You're a little crow trying to prove herself to the world. Make new animal friends, poop on unsuspecting hoomans, and steal all the shiny trinkets! Each level is a little sandbox...

STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Crypt Custodian is a charming metroidvania about cleaning up the afterlife. Play as Pluto - a mischievous cat who has died, and is sentenced to be the afterworld's janitor...

STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Hunt the military-industrial complex across stylish comic book micro-sandboxes in this fast-paced covert revenge thriller FPS from the developers of El Paso, Elsewhere.

Hoping to try the above

• Halal 1

• crispy4000 changed the title to Steam Next Fest - Not E3 Edition (Metal Slug Tactics, Flintlock, The Alters, etc)

A couple of strategy titles:

STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

A tactical turn-based strategy game inspired by events and stories of forgotten and unsung heroes of WW2. Unique and new-to-genre features offer immersion and deeper protagonists to lead and care for. Lead the resistance against the Axis Forces.

STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Lead an unlikely team of commando scientists behind enemy lines to fight Nazis, uncover arcane mysteries, and wield experimental technology to turn the tide of WWII in this real-time tactical stealth adventure.

• Halal 1

I backed this game's crowd-funding campaign:

STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

During the First World War, a lone French soldier must navigate twisted trenches, scavenge for limited supplies and solve complex puzzles - all whilst fighting for survival in the midst of mankind’s most brutal and horrifying conflict. CONSCRIPT is a new take on classic survival horror.

The sequel to The Case of the Golden Idol:

STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

The Award-winning detective saga returns. Uncover the truth behind 15 strange cases of crime, death and depravity in the 1970s. The world has changed dramatically - the sins of humanity have not.

header.jpg?t=1717174158

Time Spent: 20 minutes

Rating:  ***½

This game is basically F-Zero X.  Well, if F-Zero X was a bit faster but not as crazy as GX.  And your health and boost meters aren't shared.  It's one of the most on-the-nose games I've ever seen about aping Nintendo, but they get it so right, who cares.  They even do the outer half-pipe thing.  It needs rumble though, almost feels wrong to me without it.

• Halal 1

Gonna start trying these now. Starting with Tricky Madness, I think @crispy4000 mentioned it felt soulless, was hoping they were wrong, it does :/

It seems like a fine base but if the courses themselves aren’t fun exciting SSX courses..why would I not just go back to those?

Hope it’s early or smtn. I want a new SSX :(

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Hello Super Mario Bros 3.  Found this one on Kotaku’s recommended list.

Deleted this demo right away. I knew I’m excited to buy it on release instantly. The art style already gave me an emotional reaction I liked it so much but yeah it’s fucking indie SMB3. It’s weird, not many platformers actually really try to go right after copying a Mario GOAT. Besides 3D World, there are a lot of those.

It doesn’t play exactly like SMB, the physics are different and a little more ridged I would say. But it feels good on its own and yeah you have your koopa shells and floating and dat map and also you turn into a fox. Very excited for this.

• Halal 1

Clockwork ambrosia didn’t work on steam deck for me, gave a weird screen of errors. Tried proton experimental and same thing. Too many games to try to spend more time on it, I’ll see how it looks on release.

Tried AntonBlast and I’m just going to have to not compare it to Pizza Tower. It strangely seems to be inspired by the VB Wario Land which I can get behind with the screen hopping though then wish it had stereoscopic support. It’s a little too close on the camera and I think that actually holds it back a little from ever feeling smooth. It’s nowhere near as smooth as Pizza.

But if I accept it as a new Wario-like that isn’t quite as good as the originals then yeah I’ll have fun. It’s just that last year we happened to somehow have one that was BETTER than its inspiration. 

• Halal 1

Tried Grapple Dog: Cosmic Canines just for a quick look. I’m a huge fan of the first game and I think Grapple Dog himself rules. Looks like a more polished version of the second with a new good boy you can play as also. Stopped playing early as I didn’t need to see more. Maybe my most look forward to summer game.

One I don’t think I’ve seen mentioned:

STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Seafrog is a skateboard-lite action platformer. Play as a mechanic who must explore huge skatepark-like ships completing challenges and solving puzzles to collect enough Golden Barnacles to...

Pretty interesting mechanic. It’s kind of like Pepper Grinder meets Oli Oli World. The physics feel pretty good. The training scenerio is quite dull but the level afterwards seemed more lively. Could be pretty cool. Will keep an eye out.

• Halal 1

Just Crow Things is def in that new hot Lil Gator/Little Kitty genre which I’m loving but it also does seem like a bit of a less inspired one of those. I’ll just wait to see if Brian says the full version is worth it.

Tried 

STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Zodiac Revenger is an action 2D platformer. Follow the Cat as he seeks vengeance on the vile Rat, who caused him to lose the Zodiac race. And sweep away any other Zodiac that gets in his...

Not great. Kinda liked how it looked but it has no momentum to its movement and just kinda feels cheap.

I also didn’t get right into Vindifient as much as I thought I would. I’ll try that one again later. Looked real cool but didn’t immediately gel with how it plays.

header.jpg?t=1717647537

Time Spent: 20 minutes

Rating:  **

I was hoping for something kind of like Kirby and the Forgotten Lands.  And who knows, it could get there eventually.  But the camera swings around wildly as you tilt the movement stick, it’s super disorienting.  That’s a shame, because the actual combat and platforming mechanics feel pretty alright.  Maybe the camera issues are a bit better in co-op?  It also looks very budget on the whole, I think it needs much more time to cook.

STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Action adventure meets pinball in this one-of-a-kind pinballvania adventure. When a mysterious spire appears from thin air, it's up to an intrepid pinball to bump, spin, shoot, and flip its way to...

This is the only demo I've finished and wished there was more, the physics feels good, the tables are varied, and if it can keep doing new things with interesting abilities it could be a fun game.

I've now played Alters and Dungeons of Hinterberg and I liked both. Alters felt like a more budget sized version of death stranding, with a some base building mechanic. It seems like a game where you get better by learning how you wasted time on your first playthrough and improving upon your efforts. DoH on the other hand is pure explore and play! It has a fairly different art style, that I didn't enjoy in watching videos but I didn't mind at all while actually playing. Its immediately charming and fairly care free. After the first very short quest your mobility jumps up considerably and you see that this will be an environmental puzzle game with combat and other activities between to break up said puzzles. Next up Enotria and Flintlock: The Siege of Dawn:sun:. I love piles of demos to try, its the digital sampler pack I needed this week!  

• stepee 1
  • Halal 1

Just now, Mr.Vic20 said:

I've now played Alters and Dungeons of Hinterberg and I liked both. Alters felt like a more budget sized version of death stranding, with a some base building mechanic. It seems like a game where you get better by learning how you wasted time on your first playthrough and improving upon your efforts. DoH on the other hand is pure explore and play! It has a fairly different art style, that I didn't enjoy in watching videos but I didn't mind at all while actually playing. Its immediately charming and fairly care free. After the first very short quest your mobility jumps up considerably and you see that this will be an environmental puzzle game with combat and other activities between to break up said puzzles. Next up Enotria and Flintlock: The Siege of Dawn:sun:. I love piles of demos to try, its the digital sampler pack I needed this week!  

I love the deck for these steam demo fests so much. So nice just browsing and then playing direct right away while laying in bed watching tv.

• stepee 1

4 hours ago, Chadatog said:
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Action adventure meets pinball in this one-of-a-kind pinballvania adventure. When a mysterious spire appears from thin air, it's up to an intrepid pinball to bump, spin, shoot, and flip its way to...

This is the only demo I've finished and wished there was more, the physics feels good, the tables are varied, and if it can keep doing new things with interesting abilities it could be a fun game.

That's interesting, because I kind of dismissed it as a lesser Yoku's Island clone.  But then I remembered that the pinball feel in Yoku actually wasn't that great.

Played Wander Stars (liked) and Just Crow Things (meh) tonight. Just Crow Things didn’t do much for me. Similar to Untitled Goose Game, I don’t care for being a dick as an animal. Animals are cool and should be doing cool things. Also the humor falls flat. If this hits Game Pass, I’ll play it otherwise I think I will skip it. 

• True 1

Played a bit of Big Catch, but probably not enough to properly judge.  If you like the idea of retro throwback 3D platformers, this is probably as good as it gets without feeling creatively bunk.  I just wish they went for a PS2-era look instead, but hey.

Bo Path of the Teal Lotus was on the Ally tonight. Looks and runs great. It’s one of those games where everything is super solid but nothing really stands out. I think this genre is oversaturated so you really need something to get me onboard. I didn’t see it during my time. 

1 hour ago, Brian said:

Bo Path of the Teal Lotus was on the Ally tonight. Looks and runs great. It’s one of those games where everything is super solid but nothing really stands out. I think this genre is oversaturated so you really need something to get me onboard. I didn’t see it during my time. 

I played a bit of it too, not enough to judge, it might be a slow burn though.

Give Akatori a shot.  Go in blind, there's some surprising stuff in there that should fit the bill.

Demo lists from media outlets:

WWW.GAMESPOT.COM

Steam Next Fest has hundreds of demos to try out, but if you're pressed for time, give these games a quick download.

WWW.ROCKPAPERSHOTGUN.COM

Here's a handy list of our 8 favourite demos from Steam Next Fest this summer, from Tactical Breach Wizards to Tiny Glade, and more!

NOISYPIXEL.NET

Explore the top 10 must-play game demos from Steam Next Fest 2024. Discover the best upcoming games and add them to your Steam Wishlist today!

WWW.PCGAMESN.COM

With hundreds of Steam Next Fest demos to try, ranging from RPGs to strategy games, we can help you pick which ones to download and play.

KOTAKU.COM

Get a glimpse at some incredible games, many of which are releasing sooner rather than later

WWW.GAMESHUB.COM

Steam Next Fest is on now, with hundreds of game demos available for new and upcoming adventures. Here's the GamesHub picks of the bunch.

BGR.COM

If you're looking for Steam Next Fest demos that will work on your Steam Deck, we've got you covered with 12 great options.

WWW.ESCAPISTMAGAZINE.COM

Overwhelmed with the Steam Next Feset 2024 demo options? We got you

WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

Eurogamer list their top 10 favourite Steam Next Fest demos that you can play right now for June 2024.

INSIDER-GAMING.COM

The Steam Next Fest for June 2024 is here, and there are thousands of new games to try, but here are 10 games we think you need to play

• Thanks 1

header.jpg?t=1717788061

Time Spent: 20 minutes

Rating: **½

I'm probably not to best to judge since I couldn't get it to run a locked 60fps.  (CPU limited on older hardware?)  But it's very Hades, just with more ranged attacks and cooldowns, and not quite as good.  And maybe a bit harder too.  Doesn't look as good as I thought it would either.