France parliamentary elections (second round - 07/07): left-wing alliance claims "surprise" plurality of seats, can combine with centrists for majority

2 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

The browns 

So immigration. I mean, that's terrible, but white Europeans being racist is the least surprising thing ever. On paper it doesn't seem these far right politicians are like Boebert or MTG at least if they're trying to be liberal on some social values and instituting leftist economic policies. 

9 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

So immigration. I mean, that's terrible, but white Europeans being racist is the least surprising thing ever. On paper it doesn't seem these far right politicians are like Boebert or MTG at least if they're trying to be liberal on some social values and instituting leftist economic policies. 

They are also all beholden (literally, through loans) to Russia and Putin.

• True 1

Just now, CitizenVectron said:

They are also all beholden (literally, through loans) to Russia and Putin.

Well that's certainly not good for continued support of Ukraine and stopping Putin with anything he does in the future. I assume the citizenry don't care even though Putin is a threat?

36 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Well that's certainly not good for continued support of Ukraine and stopping Putin with anything he does in the future. I assume the citizenry don't care even though Putin is a threat?

I'm pretty sure support for Ukraine remains fairly strong in western Europe...but much like the US, all politics is local, and other things override foreign aid.

• True 1

4 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

The right-wing in most European countries would essentially be a centrist Democrat in the US. They still typically are for some type of universal healthcare, college without soul crushing debt, LGBTQ+ rights vary but are often “fine” for the most part (non-dictator-esq countries at least). As others mentioned, some of their biggest “things” are typically immigration based.

53 minutes ago, Jason said:

exit polls:

bafkreifs6vdjcg2aoppy2apgbg5bjaq64nov2tc

Obviously we need to see the seat-by-seat breakdown, but overall this is fantastic news. The fact that the left-wing and centrist parties were basically able to voluntarily withdraw their candidates in tight races to prevent the far-right from winning is heartening.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to France parliamentary elections (second round - 07/07): left-wing alliance claims "surprise" plurality of seats, can combine with centrists for majority

So how do we go from the European Parliament results a month ago to this? Do people just treat European Parliament as a funsies blowing off steam vote, or...??? 

1 hour ago, Jason said:

So now do we go from the European Parliament results a month ago to this? Do people just treat European Parliament as a funsies blowing off steam vote, or...??? 

From my understanding, the Euro parliament elections are sometimes treated as a "low risk" protest vote by electorates to give a wake up call to domestic politicians.

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

From my understanding, the Euro parliament elections are sometimes treated as a "low risk" protest vote by electorates to give a wake up call to domestic politicians.

Listened to an NPR story that said the same thing as they talked about some weird people who go to the Euro parliament.

1 minute ago, SaysWho? said:

Listened to an NPR story that said the same thing as they talked about some weird people who go to the Euro parliament.

Unfortunately, those weirdos sometimes eventually end up in "real" parliaments.

coughNigelFaragecough

• Sad 1

Just now, Spork3245 said:

It’s been a gradual turn over the past 10-15 or so years afaik.

That is kind of what my impression is. But I was wondering if I just didn’t pay attention enough before.

• True 1

1 minute ago, stepee said:

That is kind of what my impression is. But I was wondering if I just didn’t pay attention enough before.

I remember when tons of people were quickly subbing to and/or “donating” NYT subs to people shortly after Trump won in 2016. It really turned into an absolute rag not long after: it arguably wasn’t great even at that time prior to the monetary support from people, but I don’t recall it being blatantly and consistently this shitty.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

We can’t have social programs, that would just create dependency!

A couple months ago I was at a bar and heard this guy trying to push his beliefs onto two women (and i think he was successful) and was talking about LBJ and his thing was it all starts with him and making you dependent on the gov and that is how they control you. That is how this guy was explaining social programs to two old ladies who ate it up. 

But I was thinking like, by what mechanism? What is the mechanism that people are controlled by with social policies?

1 minute ago, stepee said:

A couple months ago I was at a bar and heard this guy trying to push his beliefs onto two women (and i think he was successful) and was talking about LBJ and his thing was it all starts with him and making you dependent on the gov and that is how they control you. That is how this guy was explaining social programs to two old ladies who ate it up. 

But I was thinking like, by what mechanism? What is the mechanism that people controlled by with social policies?

I just spin the argument against them. You’re right, the government has no business uplifting and providing for their citizens. Let’s cut the VA programs, GI bill, etc too, wouldn’t veterans to be dependent on the government now that they’re no longer gainfully employed!

Of course it’s easier to pull off as a former marine, yea former once was enough, as the chuds never were in the corps, but it at least ridgelines their nonsense 

Just now, TUFKAK said:

I just spin the argument against them. You’re right, the government has no business uplifting and providing for their citizens. Let’s cut the VA programs, GI bill, etc too, wouldn’t veterans to be dependent on the government now that they’re no longer gainfully employed!

Of course it’s easier to pull off as a former marine, yea former once was enough, as the chuds never were in the corps, but it at least ridgelines their nonsense 

I can’t do that one as a former never marine. But this was back home so it was a more rare opinion and easy to ignore.