Atomfall | Single Player Survival-Action (Fallout in Britain) | Coming to Game Pass/Xbox consoles/PlayStation consoles/PC in 2025

A single player, survival-action game, Atomfall blends post-war Britain with Cold War paranoia, folk horror, and elements of classic British sci-fi like Day of the Triffids, Doctor Who and The Prisoner, to create an immersive and thrilling gameplay experience.

Set in the rolling British countryside with idyllic pubs, quaint villages, and red phone boxes it soon becomes clear that things are far from normal. Created by Rebellion, the makers of the much-loved Sniper Elite and Zombie Army franchises, Atomfall is inspired by a real-world nuclear disaster that occurred in northern England in 1957. The game follows a fictional storyline where you find yourself in the quarantine zone five years after the event.

Atomfall – Rebellion Help Centre

• Halal 2
  • Sicko Sherman 1

• Keyser_Soze changed the title to Atomfall | A Single Player Survival-Action (Fallout in Britain) | Coming to Game Pass, Xbox Series X|S|One, PS5 & 4, and PC in 2025
13 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Xbox console exclusive?

Not in the least:

Atomfall will be available on Xbox Series X/S, Xbox One, Windows PC, and PC via Steam and Epic. It will also release on PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4. It will be coming day one to Game Pass.

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

This have a release date?

"2025"

• Halal 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Atomfall | A Single Player Survival-Action (Fallout in Britain) | Coming to Game Pass/Xbox consoles, PlayStation consoles/PC in 2025
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Rebellion’s game imagines the aftermath of a UK nuclear disaster that mixes folk horror and 50s sci-fi with a dash of Last of the Summer Wine

When Atomfall was first revealed at the Xbox Games Showcase in June, it led many to ask: is this the UK’s version of Fallout? “In some respects, yes. In some respects, no,” says Ben Fisher, associate head of design at Rebellion, the Oxford-based studio behind Atomfall, as well as games such as Sniper Elite 5 and Zombie Army 4. He explains that Rebellion head Jason Kingsley’s initial idea was to look at the freeform, self-guided experience of Fallout and think how it could be applied closer to home.

The difference with Atomfall is in the structure. “It’s a much denser experience,” says Fisher. “One of our reference points has been Fallout: New Vegas in that it’s a more concentrated experience than, say, Fallout 3 and 4, and largely builds one story that’s interconnected and has layers that are influenced by the choices the player makes.” Rather than taking place on one giant, open-world map, Atomfall features a series of interconnected maps, similar to the levels of the Sniper Elite games. “That’s the kind of map that we excel in,” says Fisher, adding that many of the game’s most interesting secrets are buried in bunkers deep underground.

Atomfall provides an alternative history of the 1957 Windscale fire, the UK’s worst nuclear accident, which in the game world causes a large swathe of the Lake District to be put under long-term quarantine. The Windscale plant in Atomfall is in a slightly different location from the real one (which has since been renamed Sellafield), and here it’s part of a science park where sinister, clandestine experiments have been taking place. The player wakes in the quarantine zone five years after the disaster, with no idea who they are. “Then your role in the game is to uncover what happened and, to some extent, decide what to do about it,” says Fisher.

The tone of the gameplay riffs off the movie Children of Men, “where it’s a sort of desperate survival,” says Fisher. “You’re not a skilled assassin, it’s more like a pub brawl.” The player will have to craft weapons such as hatchets, molotov cocktails and bows and arrows, and since Atomfall takes place in the UK, guns and ammunition are thin on the ground. But there are cricket bats. “The fights are kind of high-intensity,” says Fisher. “It’s kill or be killed, and you or the enemy will go down quickly.”

• Thanks 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Atomfall | A Single Player Survival-Action (Fallout in Britain) | Coming to Game Pass/Xbox consoles/PlayStation consoles/PC in 2025
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Atomfall | Single Player Survival-Action (Fallout in Britain) | Coming to Game Pass/Xbox consoles/PlayStation consoles/PC in 2025
NEWS.XBOX.COM

We got to play the first-ever hands-on build of Atomfall, and found a game that builds unexpected, detective-like mysteries into the familiar fabric of a first-person RPG.

Announced at Xbox Games Showcase earlier this year, Atomfall is the surprise new title from Rebellion (Sniper Elite, Zombie Army) that, on first glance, feels like a very British Fallout. A retro-future, post-apocalyptic setting, first-person RPG mechanics, and a world stuffed with weirdos all hearken back to Bethesda’s epochal series. But in my time with a first-ever hands-on build of Atomfall, it quickly became clear that there’s much more to this game than a location transplant.

Set in an alternate timeline following the real-life Windscale Nuclear Disaster of 1957, the first thing you’ll notice about Atomfall is that, for a game set after an atomic meltdown, this place is beautiful. Set in the rolling hills of the Lake District in Cumbria, this is a truly bucolic take on the end of the world – streams babble, nature grows unabated, and semblances of the old world still exist; never more so than in the picture-postcard village of Wyndham you’ll find early in your travels.

It’s a unique location for this kind of game, and sets the tone perfectly – this is less about a world destroyed than a world gone wrong. Outlaws roam the hills wearing cricket pads as armor, vicious rats with glowing blue eyes swarm around tumbledown farm buildings, and druids are said to be performing pagan rituals in the woods, towards ends unknown.

From the outset, how you choose to engage with all this is up to you. For the first portion of my time with the game, I simply hiked the backroads, taking down bandits to loot for their weapons, and scraps of material with which to craft bandages or throwables. Combat will be familiar to players of first-person RPGs, but comes with some distinct touches – you can only quickslot four weapons at any one time, and ammo is extremely scarce, making at least one melee item a must. You’ll also want to keep a stock of healing items, as death is quick here – it quickly becomes clear that avoiding a fight can be as helpful as starting one.

• 3 weeks later...
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

It's a holiday in the Lake District, and the locals aren't very friendly.

It's a sunny day in the Lake District, and I'm bludgeoning a man to death with a cricket bat. Welcome to 1960s Cumberland, where the locals are hostile and the nuclear power station is pouring out ethereal pillars of mysterious energy.

Atomfall is Stalker by way of Everybody's Gone to the Rapture. It's an alt-history retelling of the aftermath of the Windscale fire—the largest nuclear accident in the UK's history. Set five years later, the military has occupied a nearby village, robots patrol the streets, and residents—"proper sober folk"—have wandered off into the woods talking about a new purpose in the soil. And that's to say nothing of the roving gangs of outlaws that have made their homes in the valley outside of the village—all face paint and rusty rifles. Mad Max, but with flat caps.

When Windscale—later renamed to Sellafield—actually caught fire in 1957, Harold Macmillan's Conservative government downplayed the incident, heavily redacting reports for fear of damaging the public's confidence in nuclear power. For Atomfall, Rebellion is taking that conceit and running with it. What else was the government covering up? Exploring the hills I find a bunker, abandoned except for the feral ghoul-like creature that instantly attacks upon my entry. So there's a little bit of Fallout here too.

These little mysteries are laced through my time with the demo, and they're the main thing that have me excited for the game's release next year. It opens on a ringing phone box. I answer, and a distorted voice informs me that "Oberon must die". When I talk to someone, or find a particularly interesting note, I'm not given a quest, but rather a "lead"—a breadcrumb trail leading to the secrets of this setting. This is the good stuff—scavenging through a valley, poking around abandoned bunkers and finding clues that point to somewhere on the map. Teasing out mysteries that lead to conspiracies and unexplained phenomena and weird sci-fi nonsense.

WWW.POLYGON.COM

Rebellion’s latest has you investigating an alt-history nuclear apocalypse with particularly brutal combat.

Like limited-time public demos, media hands-on preview builds often feature handy text boxes that flash on the screen to inform the player that only a few minutes remain. During my half-hour with Atomfall at Gamescom, one appeared while I was chatting with the flat-capped landlord of a painstakingly British pub. Alf Buckshaw of the Grendel’s Head had done well to frame the world beyond his grimy windows, waxing about the post-government military quarantines and Droog-like bandit gangs that have cropped up in the wake of Rebellion’s fictionalized exaggeration of a real 20th-century nuclear disaster. But time was of the essence, so I brandished a cricket bat and started lamping the poor bloke in the head. To my surprise, he was up for a scrap, even in his old age.

Playing a choice-driven RPG with a built-in time limit can force you to do some strange and ethically murky things. And I don’t typically do so with an in-person audience, so it was hard not to worry about the judgment being passed over my shoulder by Rebellion’s head of design, Ben Fisher. After I was gunned down by a tipsy soldier for my crimes against the elderly, I stood up for a quick chat about this inimitable Cumbrian STALKER-like.

• Hype 1