Gears of War: E-Day - Official Announcement Trailer, update (06/10): RIP in Peace, story arc from Ge4rs and Gear5

WWW.GAMEFILE.NEWS

A chat with The Coalition regarding their surprise prequel

From the article:

• Heavy themes
• Set in city of Kalona
• Game will be linear
• No open-world
• Using UE5 to rip the city apart
• Brutality of Gears
• Over the top, action spectacle

8 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

So much for that, I guess...

OK, me being a shitter aside, nu-Gears should get its closure. I just assumed this was a speed bump.

It just seems harder to take the series seriously if they are going to build up all that with 4 and 5 and not even some quick recon like Halo Infinite. They should have finished it in a netflix movie or smtn at least fuck.

At least when this ends in a cliff hanger we can just load up Gears 1.

12 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

So much for that, I guess...

Phil said in the IGN interview that Gears 4 and Gears 5 were another regime's story (led by Rod Ferguson), now that the executive team there has shifted and this team doesn't have the same vision for Gears as the old Coalition, it made more sense for them to work on a prequel to figure out "their vision for Gears and what this new team's Gears looks like" rather than continuing a vision/story they weren't leading for their first game.

So, I guess this means they are going to do remakes of the first 3 games, retcon the story in Gears 4/5 and have some sort of conclusion of the overall story in ~30 years?

WWW.IGN.COM

After the announcement of Gears of War: E-Day during the Xbox Games Showcase. some fans expressed concern that Microsoft and Gears developer The Coalition were walking away from the story set out in Gears 4 and the most recent game in the series, Gears 5. Not so, Microsoft has insisted.

4 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:
WWW.IGN.COM

After the announcement of Gears of War: E-Day during the Xbox Games Showcase. some fans expressed concern that Microsoft and Gears developer The Coalition were walking away from the story set out in Gears 4 and the most recent game in the series, Gears 5. Not so, Microsoft has insisted.

With all due apologies to the fine individuals at The Coalition,  I'm afraid I'm gonna go with what your boss said.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:
WWW.IGN.COM

pressing X so hard rn

• Hugs 1

22 minutes ago, Brian said:

I’m surprised by the affection shown for 4 and 5 when both games tanked the series popularity

The only saving grace Gears 4 had was that the main character was Marcus' son AND played by Spartacus. Gears 3 ended the fight and then they said "nah" and I didn't really care for that.  That said, nu-Gears seemed pretty beloved by the Noah Caldwell-Gervais-types, but most of them weren't the High School and College kids that made Gears popular.

Never understood why series like this don't just go the FF route once they finish a story.

15 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Maybe Gears 6 will be a book. They're pretty good. Well, the ones by Karen Traviss are.

I'll be totally fine if the nu-Gears story arc concludes in either a novel or comic series.

I don't need an actual game - just an actual conclusion.

• Halal 2

From everything posted here it doesn't necessarily sound like they won't make a Gears 6, what it sounds like is they needed to know what kind of Gears game they even wanted to make first and needed room for that. They could, after this game, do Gears 6 which plays, looks, and feels like this game which I imagine will be an easier transition to do by making this game first than going in cold from Gears 4+5 to a potentially way different Gears 6. I'd say it's about a 50/50 chance they do a Gears 6 and close things out even if it's in an entirely new tone, etc. than Gears 4+5 were. I guess we'll see, either way everyone should play Gears Tactics, that also takes place during E-Day.

I played Gears 1-3 and Tactics, but I'm not sure I played 4 and 5. Maybe I played 4??

EDIT: Gears 4 in not in my steam library so unless I played it on Epic (lol) I think probably not.

Is it worth playing?

35 minutes ago, legend said:

EDIT: Gears 4 in not in my steam library so unless I played it on Epic (lol) I think probably not.

When it launched, I think it was exclusive to the Windows 10 MS store.

1 minute ago, legend said:

Well I definitely didn't buy it on that!

there is no steam version

just game pass and windows store

unless you played it via game pass you haven't played it

Until Gears 6 comes out, I'd say it isn't worth playing. No point in starting a story that may never be finished.

10 minutes ago, Bacon said:

there is no steam version

just game pass and windows store

unless you played it via game pass you haven't played it

Until Gears 6 comes out, I'd say it isn't worth playing. No point in starting a story that may never be finished.

Fuck they still didn't release it on steam? Did a quick search and Gears 5 is at least. WTF are they doing?

It's just Microsoft being Microsoft. Gears 1 launched on PC as well. But 2 and 3 didn't. Gears 4 made it to PC "exclusively" to Windows 10, you can't buy it on older OS. The Gears 1 remaster also came out on PC in some fashion, and Gears 5 and Tactics got actual Steam releases. Still crazy that PC got two different versions of Gears of War 1 but never the rest of the trilogy.

There's also Gears Judgment which is not on PC, but no one cares about that game.

Edit: Gears 4 and Gears 1 Re came out during the Xbox One/Win10-sells-your-data Era of Microsoft. The worst MS gaming era.

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, legend said:

I played Gears 1-3 and Tactics, but I'm not sure I played 4 and 5. Maybe I played 4??

Is it worth playing?

Gears 4 is crossplay Xbox/PC.

Gears 5 is on Steam.

Both are dirt cheap this week.  Are they great?  No.  Are they worth playing if you like Gears?  Absolutely.

They're both good dumb fun.

• Halal 1

4 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Gears of War: Judgment is in the same "Why Was This Game Made?" league as God of War: Ascension.

Agreed but they're both fun spin-offs/side stories that in both cases their stories come back in nice ways in God of War reboot/Ragnarok (Kratos' brother's stuff) and Gears of War 4+5 in terms of Baird's characterization. They're like the Halo 3: ODST of their franchises, maligned spinoffs that shouldn't be. My brother and I enjoyed playing Gears of War: Judgement co-op even if like Ascension and ODST they're slight games. 

6 hours ago, legend said:

Is it worth playing?

I'm not sure if you've played Gears of War: Judgment (since that just came up too) but I think Judgment and 4 and 5 are all worth playing if you enjoy Gears of War or its universe at all. Gears 4 is Coalition finding its footing. It teases new and different ways to approach missions and creates a new, less ridiculous generation of Gears to play as that remain connected to the old crew who are frequently involved in Gears 4+5 as NPC's. Gears 4 is a small game that focuses mainly on a small personal story and isn't quite the same tone as previous Gears. Gears 5 though is pretty good with some semi-open world segments and buttery smooth gunplay and a more dynamic story. If you went to the trouble of playing Tactics (which was really good) then I'd say you'd enjoy them. That being said, as others have said it may be annoying to get into Gears 4 and 5 when there's no Gears 6 on the horizon to wrap things up, though I doubt they'll leave that story completely left to dangle, I'd just give it time.

• Halal 1

• 2 weeks later...

This was a pretty good reveal trailer.  I enjoyed 5 but the series I think could use a reboot so doing a prequel maybe isn’t a bad idea.  I actually didn’t mind this being open world like, but it’s not really what makes these games great so probably good to just focus on what the series was great at.  One thing I wouldn’t mind them doing is making the game less comfortable for you.  I feel like all the games your too comfortable and you know you’ll get out of any situation.  Make it less comfortable for the player, make the player more scared.  I think turning the series into a more horror experience could make a whole new experience again.