Gears of War: E-Day - Official Announcement Trailer, update (06/10): RIP in Peace, story arc from Ge4rs and Gear5

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Gears of War: E-Day - Official Announcement Trailer
1 minute ago, Brick said:

I've never played a Gears game before. I'm guessing this is a prequel and E-Day is the first day of the invasion or something. 

yes

I actually surprised they didn't go the route of starting with Marcus in the Pendulum Wars and ending with E-day.

I gotta go back and play the last game. I didn’t get far before other things happened that took me away from the game. The trailer was great and loved the return of Mad World playing in the background 

NEWS.XBOX.COM

The Coalition discusses how returning to the core of franchise is building its future with Gears of War: E-Day.

Gears of War: E-Day was unveiled in a surprise announcement during the Xbox Games Showcase today, alongside an explosive trailer that takes us all the way back to Emergence Day. The trailer introduces us to this defining moment in the Gears of War series that sees the fearsome Locust make themselves known with a brutal ambush from below against the world of Sera. Here, we’ll follow younger versions of the series’ original heroes, Marcus Fenix and Dom Santiago, as they begin their fight against the Locust invasion. This event is the catalyst for everything we know and love about Gears of War, and I caught up with developers at The Coalition to find out why now is the perfect time to tell that story.  

While going this route is better for me, having never played 4 or 5, it kind of sucks for anyone invested in the new story of those games. It's my understanding that 5 ended on a big cliffhanger, so people are going to have to wait something like 10 years or more to get the continuation of that.

2 hours ago, jaethos said:

While going this route is better for me, having never played 4 or 5, it kind of sucks for anyone invested in the new story of those games. It's my understanding that 5 ended on a big cliffhanger, so people are going to have to wait something like 10 years or more to get the continuation of that.

Yes, as a big fan of the series who played 4 and 5 with my brothers, going back to E-Day again when we just did that with the last most recent Gears release with Gears Tactics (which was quite good!) is a bit annoying but I'll take any Gears I can get. Still, they better do Gears 6 at some point.

Man, it's so cool seeing all the super excited reactions for E-Day.  Especially when they realize it was Dom that pulled up Marcus. I rarely have games that I am looking forward to this much.

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

Man, it's so cool seeing all the super excited reactions for E-Day.  Especially when they realize it was Dom that pulled up Marcus. I rarely have games that I am looking forward to this much.

Do you know what would be even cooler?!?

FINISHING THE BLOODY STORY ARC FROM GE4RS and GEAR5!!!

• Haha 1
  • Wrong 1

:shrug:

I thought Gears 5 did a great job at answering a lot of questions that had been open since the first game.

Yes, it did not provide final closure (and I suspect this franchise will never see it).  But, I'm find with them going back and exploring in more detail E-Day (after having much of the back story highlighted in Gears 5).

7 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Do you know what would be even cooler?!?

FINISHING THE BLOODY STORY ARC FROM GE4RS and GEAR5!!!

I’ve played all the core Gears games and while I wouldn’t go so far as to say I “care” about the lore, I do think it’s kind of a bummer for them to go back to what is probably the least interesting timeframe for the franchise? And continuing to spend time with characters whose fates we know and for whom we have a good deal of closure?

I get that the crowd gets pissed when the band doesn’t play the hits but whatever. 

It’s a looker for sure though. Hope Horde mode is fun. 

• Halal 1

With no actual game play shown this has to be at least 2 years away, right?

Wasn't the original Mad World commercial the one that started the entire trend of playing slow soulful remixes of popular songs juxtaposed with intense violence?

The mad world commercial was cool but that trend got so corny so fast. Every single game trailer felt exactly the same for like a decade.

It was like the BONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG sound in trailers in the 2000s.

• Hype 1

3 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I get that the crowd gets pissed when the band doesn’t play the hits but whatever.

Which they literally did in the E-Day trailer by rehashing that gods-awful song from the original game's marketing campaign!

Oh boy - I just can't wait to hear Dom go on and on and on about Maria again!  That's gonna be just swell!

I wasn't even going to play Gears 4 until it came with the 1070 I got.

The actual worst part of Gears 4 was how they locked my favorite game mode behind ranked.

Just now, ort said:

With no actual game play shown this has to be at least 2 years away, right?

They were showing dates of some games that were targeted to be released in 2025.

Since I don't recall a date being shown for Gears, I think it is safe to assume a 2026+ release date.

1 minute ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Which they literally did in the E-Day trailer by rehashing that gods-awful song from the original game's marketing campaign!

Oh boy - I just can't wait to hear Dom go on and on and on about Maria again!  That's gonna be just swell!

MODS BAN THE OWNER FOR BEING WRONG

4 minutes ago, Bacon said:

MODS BAN THE OWNER FOR BEING WRONG

THE BEST PART OF G3ARS WAS WHEN THAT ANNOYING LOSER ENDED HIMSELF! 

I LITERALLY STOOD UP, CHEERED, AND CLAPPED MY HANDS IN SHEER JOY BECAUSE  I WOULD NEVER HAVE TO HEAR HIM WHINE AGAIN!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I LITERALLY STOOD UP, CHEERED, AND CLAPPED MY HANDS IN SHEER JOY BECAUSE  I WOUD NEVER HAVE TO HEAR HIM WHINE AGAIN!

MY FRIENDS AND I JUST CALLED HIM STUPID AND WE WEREN'T REALLY SAD ABOUT IT BECAUSE HE WAS TOO DEPRESSED TO BE LIKABLE. WE WOULD MAKE FUN OF DOM ALL THE TIME BY SAYING, "WE GOTTA FWIND MUHREHA MARKUS, WE GOTTA FWIND MUHREHA!!!"

5 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I LITERALLY STOOD UP, CHEERED, AND CLAPPED MY HANDS IN SHEER JOY BECAUSE  I WOUD NEVER HAVE TO HEAR HIM WHINE AGAIN!

My favorite part of the original Gears games was the absolute hilarity that came about when they tried to balance the dudebro vibes and the more serious storytelling. It peaked with Dom and Marcus saying things like SHIT YEA when they headpulped someone or got turned on by a successful active reload immediately after Maria’s death, 12/10, no notes. 

• Haha 2
  • Sicko Sherman 1
  • Hype 1

1 minute ago, Kal-El814 said:

My favorite part of the original Gears games was the absolute hilarity that came about when they tried to balance the dudebro vibes and the more serious storytelling. It peaked with Dom and Marcus saying things like SHIT YEA when they headpulped someone or got turned on by a successful active reload immediately after Maria’s death, 12/10, no notes. 

pure kino

just like these

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Gears of War: E-Day - Official Announcement Trailer, update (06/10): RIP in Peace, story arc from Ge4rs and Gear5

So much for that, I guess...

Phil said in the IGN interview that Gears 4 and Gears 5 were another regime's story (led by Rod Ferguson), now that the executive team there has shifted and this team doesn't have the same vision for Gears as the old Coalition, it made more sense for them to work on a prequel to figure out "their vision for Gears and what this new team's Gears looks like" rather than continuing a vision/story they weren't leading for their first game.

• Thanks 1