Ending a 41-year run, Pat Sajak's final episode of Wheel of Fortune airs tonight

The end of an era, for sure. I was never a regular watcher of Wheel of Fortune, but it's been on the air longer than I've been alive and Pat Sajak was always a great host. Enjoy your retirement, sir! 🖖

• Halal 1

2 minutes ago, Nokra said:

The end of an era, for sure. I was never a regular watcher of Wheel of Fortune, but it's been on the air longer than I've been alive and Pat Sajak was always a great host. Enjoy your retirement, sir! 🖖

Trebek and Sajak are linked to so many TV on in the background memories for me as a kid. I hope he enjoys his retirement.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

I've always hated Wheel of Fortune because of Sajak. Something about him grinds my gears. He just comes across as a massive asshole and unkind. Maybe he isn't but that has always been my impression.

I've watched Wheel of Fortune for 35 years. Sajak was an incredible host and extremely quick-witted. He will be missed by millions.

I hope he has a great retirement. 

• Halal 1

43 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Oh, the 77-year-old homophobic, climate-denying, right-wing piece of shit? He's a part of my childhood, but is a total nutso asshole, now.

I just googled it and saw a picture of him with Marjorie Taylor Greene :sick: (someone on reddit identified her in the picture as "Vanna White Power" :lol:). That tells me way too much about his politics, I'm afraid. :/ 

5 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Man imagine not being able to just hold a normal conversation without bringing politics into it. 

Imagine having such a janky-ass moral compass and being so privileged that you're fine with hate because it doesn't directly affect you. :shrug:

Just now, Nokra said:

I just googled it and saw a picture of him with Marjorie Taylor Greene :sick: (someone on reddit identified her in the picture as "Vanna White Power" :lol:). That tells me way too much about his politics, I'm afraid. :/ 

Imagine having such a janky-ass moral compass that you're fine with hate because it doesn't directly affect you. :shrug:

Relax. He was a game show host his entire life. He had no affect of anyone’s life. Jesus. Y’all need to pull the stick outta ass. 

8 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Man imagine not being able to just hold a normal conversation without bringing politics into it. 

Yeah it's a shame Sajak has made his shitty politics known and now we all have to deal with it. I also wish he hadn't brought it into pop culture conversation and kept it to himself and remained a simple game show host but he didn't. 

We don't need to create a hagiography of the man, he started it. Perhaps you need to get more comfortable with others wrestling with someone else's shitty politics rather than trying to ignore it and throw it under the rug like someone's politics doesn't speak to their character, because it does. In fact, someone's political beliefs are typically core to their character - believe people when they tell you who they are.

• Halal 1

1 minute ago, Biggie said:

I enjoyed the show. 

What does that have to do with a thread discussing his retirement from the show? That means his politics are off the table? We're discussing the person, and his political beliefs are more than fair game, and should be brought up now that he's retiring since we're looking at him in his entirety now.

Just now, Greatoneshere said:

What does that have to do with a thread discussing his retirement from the show? That means his politics are off the table? We're discussing the person, and his political beliefs are more than fair game, and should be brought up now that he's retiring since we're looking at him in his entirety now.

You do you bruh. I enjoyed the show and him hosting it. 

3 minutes ago, Nokra said:

In what world does a man with an estimated net worth of $65-75 million not have an effect on anyone's life? 

Not to mention the platform he has to say things to a large number of people online and elsewhere that may listen to what he actually has to say. As if fame and money don't bring civic or public responsibility with them. 

3 minutes ago, Biggie said:

You do you bruh. I enjoyed the show and him hosting it. 

We each are doing that. You're the one who came in suggesting it's not a normal conversation if Pat Sajak's politics are brought into a thread about his retirement. You came into the thread with more to say than that you simply enjoyed the show and him hosting it so don't back out of it now and act like you came in with only having that to say. You thought discussing Pat Sajak's political beliefs in a thread about his retirement meant we all have a stick up our ass which is a completely ridiculous thing to say, as is your typical prerogative.

Guess what, I enjoyed the show and him hosting it to. Also: he was probably a shitty person politically. You: "oh man no one can have a normal conversation without politics". So . . . you did this. :p 

1 minute ago, Greatoneshere said:

Not to mention the platform he has to say things to a large number of people online and elsewhere that may listen to what he actually has to say. As if fame and money don't bring civic or public responsibility with them. 

We each are doing that. You're the one who came in suggesting it's not a normal conversation if Pat Sajak's politics are brought into a thread about his retirement. You came into the thread with more to say than that you simply enjoyed the show and him hosting it.

Guess what, I enjoyed the show and him hosting it to. Also: he was probably a shitty person politically. You: "oh man no one can have a normal conversation without politics". So . . . you did this. :p 

:daydream:

4 minutes ago, Nokra said:

Alright, well when you're ready to come back to reality we can have an actual discussion if you want. :p 

I'd love to but I'm about to watch the last 40 years of Wheel of Fortune. I have it all on VHS tapes.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

Left out Bob Barker! 

57 minutes ago, Slug said:

Bob Barker was my "stayed home from school sick" daytime TV game show host.

That was always during the daytime for me too so I never really got to see him that often. 

• Halal 1

2 hours ago, Slug said:

Bob Barker was my "stayed home from school sick" daytime TV game show host.

Yep. Reminds me of being sick from school drinking ginger ale. :p

3 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

If I had that gig, I wouldn't want to leave it until I'm in my 70's, either. Pat Sajak  made like $14 million/year to work 4 days a month.

Vanna only made 3 million a year. But still...4 days a week for that kind of money is silly. 

I don’t think it’s going out on a limb to say a good percentage of the people still watching Wheel of Fortune in 2024 have similar politics to the host. Also old rich white guy isn’t a Progressive, film at 11.

• Hugs 1