Civilization VII (PC/PlayStation/Xbox/Switch | 11 February 2025) update (08/21): hands-on previews

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

Very curious to see where they go with the franchise. With the expansions for VI it's really filled to bursting.

I don't know exactly what this would entail, but I'd like to see them try and tweak some of the win conditions and gameplay in the late game so there's a little bit less of a gap between when you really get your synergies going to pump out resources and when you actually fulfill the win condition. I'm thinking about for example how a religious win works now, where you may have a basically insurmountable lead in how much Faith you're producing, but it still takes a big number of turns to physically get all of your missionaries all the way across the ocean to go mop up all of the most far-flung cities that you haven't converted yet.

I'd also like to see the Diplomatic Victory totally reworked from how it is in VI, because the Victory Points feel pretty arbitrary, and it feels really anticlimactic when you trigger a Diplomatic Victory compared to any other type.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Civilization VII (PC/PlayStation consoles/Xbox consoles/Switch) announced for 2025 release, more info to be revealed in August
  • 1 month later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Civilization VII (PC/PlayStation/Xbox/Switch | 2025) update (08/01): 20 minutes of gameplay to be show on August 20 @ 1330 Pacific/1630 Eastern
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Civilization VII (PC/PlayStation/Xbox/Switch | 2025) update (08/01): 20 minutes of gameplay to be shown on August 20 @ 1330 Pacific/1630 Eastern
16 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

I've owned every single Civilization game and never played any of them for longer than a few minutes

16 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

... I'll probably buy this one and never play it...

Hell yeah, brother. 
I think I actually finished exactly one normal length game of Civ IV back in the day, but that’s it. Didn’t stop me from buying the next few and barely touching them. I even bought 6 on a couple different platforms. “Well, I didn’t get into it on PC, but the iPad version will hook me for sure!” - fuckin’ idiot

• 3 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Civilization VII (PC/PlayStation/Xbox/Switch | 11 February 2025) update (08/20): "Gameplay Reveal" trailer

They still need not dumb as fuck AI that only increases the difficulty by cheating. How the hell has it been two entire Civ cycles and the AI still can't use the hex combat system properly?

WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Firaxis is changing Civilization's structure with the goal of getting more of us to the victory screen.

Here's one big change: Despite leading Rome, I played as Egyptian pharaoh Hatshepsut. Your leader no longer has to match your civilization.

This relates to a key part of the new three-act structure: In the transition to a new age, you'll select a new civilization. Each age has unique civs, and the choices available depend on your leader, but also what you've accomplished so far. If you've amassed a huge stable of powerful cavalry units, for instance, you might be granted the option of swapping to Mongolia for the Exploration age.

Beach's big theme for Civilization 7 is the idea that "history is built in layers." The thought was inspired by London, which began as Roman outpost Londinium before being abandoned, occupied by the conquering Normans, and then transformed by the Industrial Revolution. 

"Now we have a new version of Civilization where I can play a single pathway through history, and I get to be the Romans, I get to be the Normans, and then I get to be Britain," he said.

In the transition to a new age, old buildings lose their special effects and adjacency bonuses, so you'll be encouraged to literally build in layers, replacing the old with the new. The pre-defined districts of Civ 6 have been dropped in favor of general urban districts that the player defines by the buildings they opt to place in them. Cities should be more compact as a result.

Along with sub-goals that break up the journey toward one of Civ's victory conditions, getting to adopt a new culture's architecture, units, and bonuses along the way—an idea you'll also find in 2021 strategy game Humankind—might just tempt me to finally start sticking things out to the end. It's hard to say, though, because Civ's early game remains as compelling as ever, and some of the changes in Civ 7 make it even more exciting.

WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Everything we know right now about the changes in Civilization 7.

Civilization 5 was controversial for ditching unit stacking, forcing players to space out their armies on a new hexagonal grid. Civilization 6 got heat for altering the art style, and added a new city district system to mixed reviews. Eight years later, Firaxis hasn't opted to play it safe for Civilization 7: Get ready for some long Reddit threads.

The most fundamental change, and the one I think will be the most controversial, is a revamp of the game structure. Instead of lots of eras—Ancient, Classical, Medieval, Renaissance, and so on—a game of Civ 7 is divided into just three ages: Antiquity, Exploration, and Modern. At the start of each age, you'll be prompted to pick a new civilization, with options that depend on your current civilization and the choices you've made so far. Mongolia might show up in your Exploration age options if you've developed powerful cavalry units, for instance.

This also means that Civ 7's leaders are no longer locked to the civilization they're known for leading. 2K flew me out to the Firaxis office earlier this month, where I spent three hours building the Roman Empire as Egyptian pharaoh Hatshepsut. 

I explain how that went in my hands-on preview, but I know that Civ fans will also care about all the little changes and additions in Civ 7, so below I've listed absolutely every new thing I noticed during my hands-on session in the Antiquity age. I'm told that some features are exclusive to the other two ages, so I wouldn't have seen them, and even though I've tried to be comprehensive, there's no way I clocked everything that's new or different. Firaxis may also make tweaks before Civ 7 launches on February 11, so consider this a partial and not at all final list of what to expect.

WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

Our thoughts after goind hands-on with Civilization 7 and an interview with lead designer and producer at Firaxis, Ed Beach and Andrew Frederiksen.

The big problem they identified? Games stretched out for an eternity, without any real moments for players to take a natural break before coming back. It meant, Beach said, a significant amount of players becoming too exhausted by marathon games to ever finish them. To find an answer, Beach turned to history, and recalled a common idiom: "history is built in layers".

The solution is the introduction of a new, and no doubt debate-starting system called Ages in Civilization 7, which Beach told me was both the biggest feature, and the one that "required the most work", as it represents "a foundational structural change" in how the game functions. Games, now referred to as campaigns, are broken up into three distinct stages: the antiquity age, exploration age, and modern age. Each age will come with what was only loosely described as "unique content and gameplay", with the goal of highlighting what made each period interesting. "It's sort of like going from trying to tell one really, really long story with a final conclusion, and now it's more like The Lord of the Rings, where we get three conclusions but they are all still together," Beach said.

It's a major change for Civ, which has knock-on effects for two systems of Civ 6: all civilizations will now move into the next age at the same time, as they did with the system of golden ages and dark ages in Civ 6's Rise and Fall expansion, but scientific and cultural progress along the game's two returning technology trees is now tied to that simultaneous age progression, and thus also a little reworked. Those two trees are now broken up. In a given age, you'll be able to progress a certain distance until you hit a wall, where you can continue to research 'future tech' for a bonus until all civilizations advance together. Progress through the age itself is shown with a percentage gauge in the top left – and as you get towards the end of each era, a crisis emerges.

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Firaxis Games needed to move on from Civilization 6 because, its developers explain, ‘it was getting too big for its britches’

When you start a new campaign, you pick a leader and civilisation to govern, and direct your people in establishing their first settlements and encounters with the other peoples populating a largely undeveloped land. You’ll choose the technologies they research, the expansions they make to their cities, and whom they try to befriend or conquer. Every turn you complete or scientific, economic, cultural and military milestone you pass adds points to a meter running in the background. Once that meter hits 200, you and all the other surviving civilisations on the map will transition into the next age.

When moving from Antiquity to Exploration and later Exploration to Modern, you select a new civilisation to lead. You’ll retain all the cities you controlled before but have access to different technologies and attributes. This may seem strange, but it’s built to reflect history: think of London, which was once run by the Romans before being supplanted by the Anglo-Saxons. No empire lasts for ever, but they don’t all collapse, either.

Breaking Civilization 7 into chapters also gives campaigns a new rhythm. As you approach the end of an age, you’ll begin to face global crises. In Antiquity, for instance, you can see a proliferation of independent powers similar to the tribes that tore down Rome. “We’re not calling them barbarians any more,” Beach says. “It’s a more nuanced way to present them.” These crises multiply and strengthen until you reach the next age. “It’s like a sci-fi or fantasy series with a huge, crazy conclusion, and then the next book starts nice and calm,” Beach says. “There’s a point where getting to the next age is a relief.”

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Civilization VII (PC/PlayStation/Xbox/Switch | 11 February 2025) update (08/21): hands-on previews

Switch benefits:

1. Lots of time to get chores done while waiting for AI to take their turns

2. Low resolution is great for battery life

3. 20 FPS makes every frame count

4. Joy-con controls really encourage extensive use of touchscreen

5. Perfect for extended play sessions in the Winter, will keep your hands toasty