Esquire: Is Summer Game Fest the Best Thing to Happen to Gaming—or the Worst? (includes details on trailer pricing)

WWW.ESQUIRE.COM

Suddenly, Geoff Keighley’s June showcase is one of the industry’s most important events. Whether or not it’s a positive force in gaming depends on who you ask—and how much money they have.

“These shows are really ****ing expensive,” one insider says, referring to both Summer Game Fest and the Game Awards. According to pricing details shared with me by multiple marketing professionals who requested anonymity, running a trailer during Summer Game Fest’s main show this year cost $250,000 for one minute, $350,000 for one and a half minutes, $450,000 for two minutes, and $550,000 for two and a half minutes. They also say that last year’s edition of the Game Awards featured the same pricing tiers.

If you add up all of the one- to two-and-a-half-minute trailers aired during last year’s Summer Game Fest, those price levels could translate into a $9.65 million haul for the main show alone. Of course, last year’s prices may have been different, and I don’t know how to account for shorter, 30-second trailers, nor the longer segments in which Keighley invites a developer onstage.

@AbsolutSurgen Your complaints about the smaller indie shows make a lot more sense in context.  Most can't pay for this type of treatment if they aren't one of the chosen, and everyone still wants in on it.

This also explains the relatively large representation of gatcha games, F2P and off brand MMOs at the Geoffs.  More people play those than people realize.

• Halal 1

13 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

@AbsolutSurgen Your complaints about the smaller indie shows make a lot more sense in context.  Most can't pay for this type of treatment if they aren't one of the chosen, and everyone still wants in on it.

This also explains the relatively large representation of gatcha games, F2P and off brand MMOs at the Geoffs.  More people play those than people realize.

I'm thinking about them, mostly as a viewer.  When they show 117 trailers, how many do I actually remember?