Kylian Mbappé - the best footballer in the world - officially signs with Real Madrid (who just won the Champions League for the 15th time)

WWW.ESPN.COM

Real Madrid have announced the signing of Kylian Mbappé on a free transfer, ending their years-long wait for him to join the club. The France captain has signed a five-year deal with the Champions League winners.

Real Madrid have announced the signing of Kylian Mbappé on a free transfer, ending their years-long wait for him to join the club.

Mbappé announced last month that he would leave Paris Saint-Germain at the end of the season when his contract expired.

Sources have told ESPN that Mbappé has signed a five-year deal worth €15 million ($16.2m) a year after taxes, having been in negotiations with Madrid since at least February.

Madrid are the reigning LaLiga champions and lifted their 15th European Cup on Saturday as they beat Borussia Dortmund 2-0 at Wembley.

I don't follow this stuff very closely, but $16M a year doesn't seem like very much.

Edit: A quick search shows that (according to some NYT math) he may have made as much as $681M over his years at PSG, which doesn't even seem to include the $180M signing bonus. That same link says he might have received a €150M signing fee from Real Madrid.

I suppose it pays to be the best in the most watched sport in the world.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Kylian Mbappé - the best footballer in the world - officially signs with Real Madrid (who just won the Champions League for the 15th time)
26 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Champions League Football GIF by UEFA

Champions League Yes GIF by UEFA

These two guys may have something to say about "best footballer in the world".

Haaland can't dribble/distribute nearly as well as Mbappe. Bellingham...not yet but probably within the next year or two.

3 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Haaland can't dribble/distribute nearly as well as Mbappe. Bellingham...not yet but probably within the next year or two.

I disagree.  Ligue 1 is a huge step back from the Premier League.

Either way, I don't think there is anything close to a consensus that Mbappe is the best player in the world right now.

11 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I disagree.  Ligue 1 is a huge step back from the Premier League.

Either way, I don't think there is anything close to a consensus that Mbappe is the best player in the world right now.

The quality of the leagues has nothing to do with their individual skill sets. Besides if you want to look at competitive pedigree, Mbappe has scored 4 goals in 2 World Cup Finals, and one of those appearances is arguably the greatest individual performance in World Cup history.

He is the best player in the world but it’s by far the weakest top layer in a while. The next generation will be more exciting.  It will be interesting what formation Real uses next season. They better not bury Endrick on the bench. 

34 minutes ago, Chris- said:

The quality of the leagues has nothing to do with their individual skill sets. Besides if you want to look at competitive pedigree, Mbappe has scored 3 goals in 2 World Cup Finals, and one of those appearances is arguably the greatest individual performance in World Cup history.

The ability to perform 100% has to do with the quality of the opposition.

I'm not even sure that Mbappe will be the best left wing option at Real Madrid next year.