Do you have any ‘go-to’ anxiety dreams?

gamer.tv

When something is come by up or I’m feeling vaguely pressured, it generally comes out in my dreams, specifically one of two different ones.

1) being at school/university and finding out that I’ve missed an exam/submission and didn’t graduate. I usually then need to wake up, remind myself I’ve completed a post grad and the world realigns. 

2) I dream about the call centre I used to work at, but naturally I’ve forgotten how everything works etc. Again, then need to wake up and remind myself I’ve been teaching for about 6 years now. 

Either it’s the move to the aisle of Man, the start of a new school term, or having to move out of our temporary accommodation today to another one that’s got me! 

No, but I have/had a recurring dream where I wake up, but every time I blink I am suddenly back in bed under the covers. It also takes a herculean amount of effort to even sit up in this dream. And the longer I try to keep my eyes open the heavier they get. It's a constant cycle of trying to get out of bed only to blink and have to do it all over again. The worst part is dream me knows it's a dream. That it's not real. But I can't actually wake up until I dream me has a panic attack and I feel all hope is lost in ever waking up for real.

And then I wake up. My heart isn't even beating 1 million MPH like in the dream. The only feeling is a weird sense of freedom. It's like a aura that persists for a few seconds after I actually wake up.

• Shocked 2
  • Sicko Sherman 1

No recurring ones any more. But I had one that extended from my college days all the way through my postdoc where I get notified that that there was a technical error that meant I never actually graduated from high-school. To reinstate the degree, I would need to repeat classes Billy Madison style. It got extra weird during my postdoc because if I didn't, then it would somehow invalidated my PhD. To make matters worse, because I didn't want to do it, and perhaps because I was always an awful high-school student, I could never get myself to attend so I kept failing and having to redo it.

Not necessarily an anxiety dream but occasionally I'll have a weird dream with my dad in it. For anyone that doesn't know he passed away, but the strange thing isn't that he's in them, it's that he doesn't speak in them. I talked to my mom and she says she has similar dreams about her dad where he also doesn't speak.

I remember this one vividly. It was early in the morning and my dad was driving me to Best Buy so I could get there when they opened to buy the new Forza game, and I had to get there early because he was going to take me to school after. Best Buy didn't have the game so it was kind of upsetting.

But this one is strange for many reasons since I don't have school and if I did he wouldn't need to drive me and I could just play or buy Forza online. :p

6 hours ago, Haya Dune said:

Speaking of dead people, I never thought about it before, but my father doesn't say anything in my dreams either. My mother, on the other hand, can be cranky and judgemental.  

tumblr_mev5finMs11qeguj1o1_500.gif

This has got to be one of the creepiest gifs I've ever seen. Whoever did this is a master.

• Haha 1
  • True 1

33 minutes ago, legend said:

This has got to be one of the creepiest gifs I've ever seen. Whoever did this is a master.

I was going to comment on this earlier but yes it's freakin scary. 

• stepee 2

14 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

No, when my anxiety rises to that level I just don't sleep. In any 24-36 month project cycle, I can count on about 100 days or so worth of those nights. Its not great. 

Same. I used to get those dreams in HS and College, maybe a few years after college. Now it's just endless spinning in my mind all night. I tell myself it'll be better if I sleep, but my mind wants to solve the issue. Even after i solve it. It keeps going over it in and endless loop.

• Hugs 1

I often get those "lost in high school trying to find my next class" dreams. But recently one of the teachers finally asked "You already have your diploma, what are you doing here?" and then dream logic me was like "If I want to go back to college, I have to go back to high school first"

• stepee 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, TheBladeRoden said:

I often get those "lost in high school trying to find my next class" dreams. But recently one of the teachers finally asked "You already have your diploma, what are you doing here?" and then dream logic me was like "If I want to go back to college, I have to go back to high school first"

Think About It GIF by Identity

I have this dream where I am in a park, feeding some ducks and enjoying the shade from the tree. Out of nowhere, a truck runs me over, backs up, and does it again. I’m in tremendous pain, but a lawyer comes to me and says “don’t worry bud, I’ll make you rich af. You will never work again!.”  I then wake up and realize I have to go to work. 
Bryan Cranston Reaction GIF

• Sad 1
  • Sicko Sherman 1

My twin brother visits me in my dreams but I never talk to him. I usually have nightmares about a particular gross/scary alien tormenting me in my bed. I freeze in fear. It blows. 

When I was a teenager I would have semi-regular nightmares about being on a submarine that was under attack. The claustrophobia and impending disaster were the main elements of that nightmare, I think. Fortunately I haven't had those for a very long time. 

I’ve had weird teeth dreams from time to time, but never with any regularity.  Occasionally I’ll have the back in school dreams, but I’m annoyingly logical even in these dreams and I either realize I’m too old for that to matter anymore, or I’m confident it’s a bookkeeping error that can be fixed.  

Every dream for the last decade has been the same dream of failing college while trying to move while starting a new job. Last night was a bit nice. Had a cool sci-fi thing going on with school being a space station, then the wild west, some industrial shitpile, even had a black hole machine.