4 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

I'm watching my first UFL game at the gym. Wow this is bad!

It’s fucking horrible. When will investors finally realize that any other league not called the N.F.L. will fail and that nobody wants to watch the shit. 

• Halal 1

4 minutes ago, Biggie said:

It’s fucking horrible. When will investors finally realize that any other league not called the N.F.L. will fail and that nobody wants to watch the shit. 

The refs are so bad. The players aren't invested.

5 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

The refs are so bad. The players aren't invested.

It’s like watching a gathering of neighborhood friends play a pick up game of football lol 

• Halal 1

22 hours ago, Biggie said:

Ok we can’t be friends anymore

:(  I didn't go to college so I don't have a team to root for.  So to me college ball is just a bunch of future MBAs and maybe 1 or 2 "might make it in the NFL" quality guys playing yard ball with better equipment.

9 minutes ago, Slug said:

:(  I didn't go to college so I don't have a team to root for.  So to me college ball is just a bunch of future MBAs and maybe 1 or 2 "might make it in the NFL" quality guys playing yard ball with better equipment.

One or two?? You do understand that the NFL gets all its players from the college football ranks don’t you? It’s literally the farm system for your favorite league. Without college football there is no NFL. 

40 minutes ago, Biggie said:

One or two?? You do understand that the NFL gets all its players from the college football ranks don’t you? It’s literally the farm system for your favorite league. Without college football there is no NFL. 

Yeah, one or two.  In a random college football game?  That seems more than reasonable.  267 D1 teams, around 120 kids per team with 70 allowed to be on a game day roster.  That's somewhere in the neighborhood of 18k-19k players that could see the field in any given CFB game.  Around 16k are draft eligible. Depending on compensatory picks, you're looking in the neighborhood of 230-250 players that will get drafted in a given year plus any undrafted pickups.  So maybe only 1.3-1.6% of starting college players might get drafted and then only around 30% of those players will make a roster let alone be a starter in the NFL.  So yeah.  One or two dudes that might be NFL starters someday (and that's generous, unless you're only watching one of the "big" schools) then a bunch of kids paying for their degree in basket weaving or whatever.

8 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Choose a college team that is near you or a historical team, root for them, have fun. EZ

1 minute ago, Slug said:

Yeah, one or two.  In a random college football game?  That seems more than reasonable.  267 D1 teams, around 120 kids per team with 70 allowed to be on a game day roster.  That's somewhere in the neighborhood of 18k-19k players that could see the field in any given CFB game.  Around 16k are draft eligible. Depending on compensatory picks, you're looking in the neighborhood of 230-250 players that will get drafted in a given year plus any undrafted pickups.  So maybe only 1.3-1.6% of starting college players might get drafted and then only around 30% of those players will make a roster let alone be a starter in the NFL.  So yeah.  One or two dudes that might be NFL starters someday (and that's generous, unless you're only watching one of the "big" schools) then a bunch of kids paying for their degree in basket weaving or whatever.

Watch SEC football. This shit ain’t Rutgers vs. Seton Hall lol

11 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Choose a college team that is near you or a historical team, root for them, have fun. EZ

Virginia was my "home" college football team growing up.  If they happen to be playing on TV I'll put them on in the background.  From what I can tell, they're pretty bad.

4 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Watch SEC football. This shit ain’t Rutgers vs. Seton Hall lol

That gives off, "I'm a Yankees Lakers Cowboys Patriots Chiefs" fan vibes.

Just now, Slug said:

I didn’t say jump on the bandwagon of one particular team. Just enjoy the match ups and the future stars of the NFL. I mean I’m a FALCONS fan for fuck sake. You know I’m not  just rooting for the current winning teams. 

Planet Of The Apes Laughing GIF

Yeah, Slug is a Commanders fan. If someone said watch an Oklahoma State game or a Commanders game I'm gonna watch the OK State game. At least they do some crazy stuff. Pro football is so rigid. It's weird to say college football is all amateur looking, when most everyone there is on a level playing field and putting on a good show does it really bother you so much they made a mistake some pro would make? The NFL is like 5 good teams, anything below that is a pain to watch but you can usually get some good entertainment even out of some of the lowest matchups in college football.

Also rooting for Virginia was your first mistake. Should have been rooting for VT :p

1 minute ago, Biggie said:

I didn’t say jump on the bandwagon of one particular team. Just enjoy the match ups and the future stars of the NFL. I mean I’m a FALCONS fan for fuck sake. You know I’m not  just rooting for the current winning teams.

I know you're not a bandwagon guy.  All I'm saying is that unless you're only watching the top of the top of the NCAA you're watching a field of mostly gym rat business majors.  Even limiting it to the SEC most of those kids will never see a pro football field.  It's not high quality play.  And you know I have no problem being a fan of bad things (eyes his Redskins Football Team Commanders, Wizards, Nationals, United gear warily), but I can't just decide  to be a fan of something.  I have to have a rooting interest; either they're my home team or have some familial connection.   XFL/UFL gave me a home team to root for.  It's bad football but it's entertaining and I have an outcome to pull for.  With college it's just bad football and I don't care which team wins.  I can't just go "alrighty I'm now a Alarkoridaburngia fan let's go fightin' Razor Tidecats!"

34 minutes ago, Slug said:

Only if you root for Alabama. SEC is like half of all the teams in College football, you can root for Auburn and no one would give you any shit for it.

Hell I'm a Caps fan (hockey) but at the time I chose them because they were the worst team. I literally gave off no vibes. Plus who cares what vibes you give off as long as you're having fun? Are you 13 or something?

1 minute ago, Slug said:

but I can't just decide  to be a fan of something.  I have to have a rooting interest; either they're my home team or have some familial connection.

See this is a mentality you should get rid of. I think any sport can be fun as long as you pick a side. If a soccer game comes on, soccer sucks, but if I choose a team I can get into it. And that goes down to even lesser sports, ping pong, bowling, corn hole. Choose someone and then you're good to go. That being said it's easier to pick a team and go from there.

I have a Canadian friend who likes Tigers, so any team with a tiger he roots for them. He was not an NFL fan till he met me then became a Bengals fan for instance.

4 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Yeah, Slug is a Commanders fan. If someone said watch an Oklahoma State game or a Commanders game I'm gonna watch the OK State game. At least they do some crazy stuff. Pro football is so rigid. It's weird to say college football is all amateur looking, when most everyone there is on a level playing field and putting on a good show does it really bother you so much they made a mistake some pro would make? The NFL is like 5 good teams, anything below that is a pain to watch but you can usually get some good entertainment even out of some of the lowest matchups in college football.

Also rooting for Virginia was your first mistake. Should have been rooting for VT :p

Charlottesville was closer than Blacksburg. :P

And I never said CFB couldn't be entertaining.  Bad can be entertaining.  But for me to be entertained by bad sport I also have to care about the outcome.  And not having a real fan/rooting interest in any team means I don't care about any CFB outcome so there's nothing compelling about watching those games for me.

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Only if you root for Alabama. SEC is like half of all the teams in College football, you can root for Auburn and no one would give you any shit for it.

Hell I'm a Caps fan (hockey) but at the time I chose them because they were the worst team. I literally gave off no vibes. Plus who cares what vibes you give off as long as you're having fun? Are you 13 or something?

I think you misread my intent with that "vibes" comment.  I said you're lucky you get 1 or 2 "might be NFL quality" guys in any given CFB game, he said "Watch SEC".  I was making a joke about cherry picking only the top of the NCAA in a counter to my "only 1 or two guys" statement.

• Thanks 1

On 6/2/2024 at 12:20 PM, Biggie said:

The Toronto Argonauts have fielded a team since 1873.  Nowhere near NFL level, but it isn't going away either.

• stepee 1

13 minutes ago, Biggie said:

@Slug you are basically watching college football now with the Commanders. 

:pratt:

Not far off.  Thankfully we have a LEGENDARY Falcons HC to turn it all around!

3 minutes ago, Slug said:

Not far off.  Thankfully we have a LEGENDARY Falcons HC to turn it all around!

Coach Dude Bro!  Seriously though. He did a nice job with the Falcons. (Should have won a Super Bowl) and in Dallas. Don’t undersell him man. Who knows, you might win the division. 
                                      :daydream:

13 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Coach Dude Bro!  Seriously though. He did a nice job with the Falcons. (Should have won a Super Bowl) and in Dallas. Don’t undersell him man. Who knows, you might win the division. 
                                      :daydream:

I'm definitely pulling for him to succeed.  Gonna wear my hats backwards at every game all season. :D

• Haha 1