What You Wish For -

Ryan (Nick Stahl) is a talented, down-on-his-luck chef with crushing gambling problems. Circumstances being what they are, he leaves town in a hurry for the safe haven of an unnamed Latin American country where his friend Jack (Brian Groh), a more prestigious chef with his own unique troubles, welcomes him into his home. Ryan has no idea how Jack’s able to afford his extravagant lifestyle cooking for the elite in paradise; he doesn’t want to feel envious, yet he can’t help but want this life for himself as well. Soon, a grim twist of fate will give that to him. Ryan assumes his friend’s identity and soon discovers just what Jack’s been doing to maintain the lifestyle he so desperately craved.

• Halal 1

So I did watch this and it was pretty good! A solid 6.5/10 which could have been a 7/10 if the film didn't meander as much as it did. But amongst the pantheon of Chef, Burnt, The Menu, Boiling Point and The Bear it definitely deserves a viewing. Without saying too much (it's better to go into this blind), the chef/cooking aspect is both more and less important than you'd think going into the film. And Nick Stahl is really good! He has to hold back and restrain so much to get through what's happening and all you get is repressed tension from him and he nails it. Even reviews on IMDb noted that it's weird no one knows about this movie, it definitely deserved more hype and is better than a number of movies I saw last year.

For anyone interested in a fun Sunday night well-done, well-filmed thriller that's good but not great, give this movie a watch, it could use the support and deserves it. And I really must say it was great seeing Nick Stahl (Terminator 3, Sin City) in something good when he's had to settle for being in drek for the last 15 years for the most part. I didn't realize he was in Fear the Walking Dead and its spinoff Dead in the Water as well as the Let the Right One In TV show adaptation so that's at least two big things in the last 15 years (maybe a come back is due between those two things and this movie since these three projects were all recent?). But since those heyday years of T3 and Sin City he's deserved better. A shame marketing screwed this one up (probably had no M&A budget). 

• Halal 1
  • Hugs 1