The Wayward Realms - Kickstarter (yes I know, what year is it, etc.)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/oncelostgames/the-wayward-realms/

What: Elder Scrolls style open world ARPG

When: 1 year to early access, TBD after that

How much: $40 nets you a copy once its release (it also gets you early access)

Why: Because Bethesda sure as hell ain't getting it done! 

Goal: $500,000 (currently a 216K)

End of Campaign date: June 29th

• stepee 1

1 minute ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

By their own admission, the Kickstarter campaign/demo is intended as a "pitch" to obtain more funding which is something I wouldn't hold my breath over.

True, and the scope is ambitious, even taking into account that they plan to use procedural generation. That said, these are some X Bethesda kids, so there is some reason for mild optimism here...maybe? RIGHT?! Shut up Wade! :cry: 

As much as I doubt Bethesda after Starfield I truly believe ES6 will be very good. I like this ambition from a small studio and I actually liked some of what they showed but it just can't compete with the big boys. 

16 minutes ago, Best said:

As much as I doubt Bethesda after Starfield I truly believe ES6 will be very good. I like this ambition from a small studio and I actually liked some of what they showed but it just can't compete with the big boys. 

As much As I want Bethesda to succeed with ES6, I'm tired of putting all my fish in one kettle. The more developers, of any size, working on more open world RPGs, the happier I will be. Not everything needs to be a AAA game, there is plenty of space in the industry for b tier jank! :sun:

There is no intention to have voice acting and the world creation will be procedural. That said, I still agree that this is a 10+ million project and I would guess it will take 3+ years. 

11 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

As much As I want Bethesda to succeed with ES6, I'm tired of putting all my fish in one kettle. The more developers, of any size, working on more open world RPGs, the happier I will be. Not everything needs to be a AAA game, there is plenty of space in the industry for b tier jank! :sun:

I agree. It's just extremely difficult for these small studios to pull off anything comparable to AAA so it's unfortunate because yes, having more open world RPGS on the market is a very important thing for the industry to keep growing. 

On 5/31/2024 at 11:41 AM, Mr.Vic20 said:

Especially now that Embracer has pretty much killed off Piranha Bytes.

• True 1

21 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Currently sitting at 452,000 of 500,000. Based on the provided stretch goals, this one is just going to limp over the finish line, even with 22 days remaining remaining. 

I'm pretty sure that's because people are relatively certain that a full release is never going to see the light of day, so why bother backing it?

It's just far too ambitious to have a realistic chance of coming to fruition.

• Haha 1
  • True 1

59 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I'm pretty sure that's because people are relatively certain that a full release is never going to see the light of day, so why bother backing it?

It's just far too ambitious to have a realistic chance of coming to fruition.

I believe your assessment to be clear eyed and founded in clear historic trends, but I'm going to be the dope who holds the torch, once I can put down this Star Citizen distress beacon! :dab:

• Haha 1

And they did it. 13 days in and the kickstarter is funded. OF course, if you know how most kickstarters work then you know that they are typically 30 days long and only the first three and last two days are real money makers. The rest is called "The through" and usually accounts for less than 20% of the total haul. So they just made it by. On to the next windmill! :p

• 2 months later...