Star Wars Boss Says Women in Star Wars Suffer From Toxicity Due to male Dominated Fan Base

21 minutes ago, Brian said:

D1P needs a “Fuck or Fight” night.  I suggest it take places on the grand opening of Super Nintendo Land in Orlando. Opens 2025 so build that tension!

This better not turn out like the The Willy's Chocolate Factory Experience in Scotland. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Best said:

As a huge Shameless fan the series really takes a turn for the worst around season 5. They should have ended the show then but boy oh boy do they drag it out. 

The first 3 seasons are incredible. 

I’ve seen clips from later seasons and I think I can enjoy it for Ian and Mickey alone. 

• Halal 1
  • Hype 1

14 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

OOC were any of the new male characters received well outside of Mando + Grogu? 

I dunno what we mean by new, but the whole Bad Batch and dudes on Rebels were very well received.

8 minutes ago, stepee said:

“fight or fuck fest” in Florida sounds like it’s asking for trouble 

That’s why it is not a fest but a night. The majority of us will be watching and :angry-fap-small: after a day at Donkey Kong Country

6 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

You vs Jeff Grubb

He starts the rumor mill that the Switch 2 will have OLED and launch with a true 3D Kirby game, I’ll fuck him real good. 

• True 1

These comments are coming out now, days ahead of the release of the Acolyte, so that she can get ahead of potentially negative reactions to her new show.  If the show gets negative reactions, its not because of the show, its because of the toxic male fan base.

Are there toxic members of the fan base?  Absolutely.  There are toxic members of EVERY fan base I have ever been exposed to.

On 6/1/2024 at 1:43 AM, Spork3245 said:

Live action only

IMHO, Star Wars fans view the animated stuff as better than most of the live action.  Particularly much of the recent stuff.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

If the show gets negative reactions, its not because of the show, its because of the toxic male fan base.

This is what I was feeling too. Like oh.. what interesting timing. She is a person of extreme privilege, if she were a black woman she would have been fired a long time ago.

2 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

This is what I was feeling too. Like oh.. what interesting timing. She is a person of extreme privilege, if she were a black woman she would have been fired a long time ago.

Given how dominant Disney was a few years ago, I wonder why they haven’t cleared house, given the step decline at ILM, Marvel and Pixar. 

• Halal 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2024 at 10:25 AM, skillzdadirecta said:

Oh I am SO glad I skipped that shit.

Oh man I just started watching the South Park panderverse episode not knowing what it was going to be about (was hoping pandas) and yeah it’s just terrible, huge miss. First SP I’ve turned off without finishing.

I did rewatch of South Park about two years ago and man are especially the first ten years filled with right wing culture war garbage (which is also all the same shit as today with just different buzzwords) that I didn’t identify at the time when watching it. They have gotten better over the years not just taking their bullshit at face value like these are earnest points but they are right back to those days with this one. OOF.

Checking imdb reviews also further led me to realize I’m not missing any hidden meaning or whatever, it’s just shit.

6 hours ago, stepee said:

Oh man I just started watching the South Park panderverse episode not knowing what it was going to be about (was hoping pandas) and yeah it’s just terrible, huge miss. First SP I’ve turned off without finishing.

I did rewatch of South Park about two years ago and man are especially the first ten years filled with right wing culture war garbage (which is also all the same shit as today with just different buzzwords) that I didn’t identify at the time when watching it. They have gotten better over the years not just taking their bullshit at face value like these are earnest points but they are right back to those days with this one. OOF.

Checking imdb reviews also further led me to realize I’m not missing any hidden meaning or whatever, it’s just shit.

I think the message that they were attempting is “doing gender/race swaps for the sake of pandering (not for the best actor) is lazy, and making unique characters, like Miles Morales, is much better” as there’s even a spot where someone complains about a “black spider-man” as part of pandering, and (I think) Stan says “no, Morales is his own character with his own personality and back story, and he’s awesome”.

I’m not saying that the message they were going for is right or wrong, but I also don’t think it’s right wing talking point either.

• True 1

4 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I think the message that they were attempting is “doing gender/race swaps for the sake of pandering (not for the best actor) is lazy, and making unique characters, like Miles Morales, is much better” as there’s even a spot where someone complains about a “black spider-man” as part of pandering, and (I think) Stan says “no, Morales is his own character with his own personality and back story, and he’s awesome”.

I’m not saying that the message they were going for is right or wrong, but I also don’t think it’s right wing talking point either.

While I agree that simply doing a gender/ethnic swap is the laziest way of handling diversity and representation, it's still not a bad thing. Simply having more representation in media is a good thing for marginalized people. When I see chuds say things like "there's no reason for X character to be a woman now!" I always have to ask "well, what was the reason they had to be a man before?"

40 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

While I agree that simply doing a gender/ethnic swap is the laziest way of handling diversity and representation, it's still not a bad thing. Simply having more representation in media is a good thing for marginalized people. When I see chuds say things like "there's no reason for X character to be a woman now!" I always have to ask "well, what was the reason they had to be a man before?"

That's more-or-less the point they ultimately make as they go after the "anti-woke" crowd just as heavily. It's calling out both "changing it for the sake of changing it and being lazy" and "omg why did you change something that doesn't matter".

• True 1

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

That's more-or-less the point they ultimately make as they go after the "anti-woke" crowd just as heavily. It's calling out both "changing it for the sake of changing it and being lazy" and "omg why did you change something that doesn't matter".

It's shocking and disturbing how many people can't actually absorb media without the protagonist being exactly the same as them

4 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

It's shocking and disturbing how many people can't actually absorb media without the protagonist being exactly the same as them

Eh, not liking change for an established character you grew up with and have nostalgia for doesn't necessarily mean that. Like, I hate all animated Batman voices besides Kevin Conroy's. 

There's certainly a good chunk of people that fit what you're saying, of course.

I think progress is awkward precisely because there tends to be a "gold rush" when these kinds of changes happen to established characters and "worlds" in fiction/entertainment. The knee jerk reaction is "their just doing this to be part of the herd shift". But if you take a moment and think about it, how else was it going to be implemented? Of course there will suddenly be a lot more POC and LGBTQ characters in all manner of entertainment and it will feel like a major change. But over time, representation will balance out as its normalized in society at large. Again, change is awkward but still truly needed to get to a place where human kind has any hope of a shot at proper "universal" rights for people. As I said to my wife in a not too recent conversation. "Growing up, I was all for a Rodenberry future, and I still am. I just didn't stop to consider how pedantic, prideful, and lame many people are. So we'll eventually get that future, just with a heavy dollop of cringe".  

• True 1
  • Hugs 2

Broadly I think complaints about "forced diversity" are inherently flawed. Sometimes that needs to happen even if it's "obvious" or "pandering" or whatever. Something like Giant-Size X-Men #1 was a very obvious attempt at "forced diversity" and it's only in hindsight that people have come to accept the X-Men as not only a diverse team but once that kinda must be so by design based on what it's trying to communicate.

I appreciate that it's certainly possible to fumble stuff like this or to execute it poorly but it's also difficult to take complaints about this seriously. The whole "he's Miles Morales, not Spider-Man... but this isn't about race," falls pretty flat for me when I don't think I've ever heard anyone whinge that Wally West isn't The Flash, that Hal Jordan isn't Green Lantern, that Terry McGinnis isn't Batman, that Scott Lang isn't Ant-Man, etc. It's almost always stuff like "Sam Wilson isn't the REAL Captain America," or, "Kamala Khan isn't the REAL Ms. Marvel," for... no reason I guess.

So many of these complaints come from the perspective that male, straight, whiteness is some kind of neutral default that any pivot away from that is pandering, as if marketing to the young, straight, white, male demographic isn't pandering somehow? Or is allegedly "universal" or something?

• Halal 3

3 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

So many of these complaints come from the perspective that male, straight, whiteness is some kind of neutral default that any pivot away from that is pandering, as if marketing to the young, straight, white, male demographic isn't pandering somehow? Or is allegedly "universal" or something?

I think so much of that "White is the default" comes down to the foundational voices of mass media that mostly did push white characters and more importantly, white characters as leaders over "themed" POC heroes. A white super hero early on could be anything, but a black super hero had to invoke jungle animal powers! Its flat racist, but was totally acceptable for the time period. It reinforced the white hierarchy of the world and consumers by and large said, yes, this seems about White right. That went on, unchallenged, for a multigenerational period, so its somewhat engrained in the average white brain as "normal". 

• Halal 2

3 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I feel like someone said that around here recently, or posted something like it. Can't remember where though.

If you're referencing my post, that's not what was said in the Panderverse South Park episode that I was mentioning, at all. I know you're trolling because you're bored, but what they said was that Miles isn't a replacement for Peter Parker and isn't lazy pandering - they even say "he's another spider-man" and is a unique character with his own traits and backstory separate from Peter Parker.

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

If you're referencing my post, that's not what was said in the Panderverse South Park episode that I was mentioning, at all. I know you're trolling because you're bored, but what they said was that Miles isn't a replacement for Peter Parker and isn't lazy pandering - they even say "he's another spider-man" and is a unique character with his own traits and backstory separate from Peter Parker.

Oh weird. I looked all around for that and it was just a few things up. No I'm not trolling. I mean yeah I guess they didn't say it but it sounds like it was a response to people that actually feel that way.

IDK, they just sounded similar in my head. :p

3 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Oh weird. I looked all around for that and it was just a few things up. No I'm not trolling. I mean yeah I guess they didn't say it but it sounds like it was a response to people that actually feel that way.

IDK, they just sounded similar in my head. :p

If it's a response to people thinking Miles isn't spider-man, it's making fun of those people and calling them dumb then. :p 

The white monoculture hegemony is over and certain regressive groups of people (typically white, straight and male) can't get over it. White monoculture was not "universal" and is not the default culture of the world. Now that things are beginning to slowly balance out, they can't handle it, it's as simple as that. It's not like there aren't still plenty of white, male, straight characters in stuff, so this is about dominance, nothing else. Equality doesn't mean erosion but they take it as assumed because of the loss of hegemony.  

On 5/31/2024 at 9:34 AM, Best said:

Interesting because the only reason I saw the last two Star Wars in theaters was because of Dasiy Ridley. 

Did the theaters have private booths?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

The white monoculture hegemony is over and certain regressive groups of people (typically white, straight and male) can't get over it. White monoculture was not "universal" and is not the default culture of the world. Now that things are beginning to slowly balance out, they can't handle it, it's as simple as that. It's not like there aren't still plenty of white, male, straight characters in stuff, so this is about dominance, nothing else. Equality doesn't mean erosion but they take it as assumed because of the loss of hegemony.  

@Greatoneshere is John Leguizamo

WWW.YAHOO.COM

“America is better when it is inclusive,” the actor says in an open letter from Sunday’s paper The post John Leguizamo Uses Full-Page New York Times Ad to Urge Emmy Voters to Make Non-White Choices appeared first on TheWrap.

• Halal 1

20 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I couldn’t stomach finishing it but I’ll say at least up to about half way through they may be trying to do that but were failing spectacularly. They give way to much legitimacy to absolute nonsense. Beyond that, Kal already said my thoughts on the matter better than I can.

5 hours ago, stepee said:

I couldn’t stomach finishing it but I’ll say at least up to about half way through they may be trying to do that but were failing spectacularly. They give way to much legitimacy to absolute nonsense. Beyond that, Kal already said my thoughts on the matter better than I can.

I’m certainly not arguing to watch/finish it as it’s certainly the weakest of the specials so far. It’s also a much slower burn before they “flip” to “anti-woke is lazy garbage and the people who actually believe it are cry babies” than they typically go for. There’s a part where alt-universe Cartman does something (tricks Kyle into buying high end PC parts just to play Baldur’s Gate 3 while implying it was to get back to their own universe) and Kyle says something like “holy shit… you really are Cartman” which leads into their point of “if you actually cared about these characters you love, you’d see it’s still the same character you always loved regardless of the race/gender/sexual-preference, even if the swap is just lazy writing and pandering for a cash grab.”

I ultimately don’t typically care about “swaps”, but I do think people who should have equality in media deserve better than 2016 Ghostbusters. I dunno.

9 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

@Greatoneshere is John Leguizamo

He's been working at that for a long time now, I have to give him a lot of credit for pushing for these things still even though he sometimes goes overboard. :p 

3 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I ultimately don’t typically care about “swaps”, but I do think people who should have equality in media deserve better than 2016 Ghostbusters. I dunno.

I agree but we both know that's just been studios and corporations regardless of social values. At least now everyone can have shitty movies that represent them. :p