Star Wars Boss Says Women in Star Wars Suffer From Toxicity Due to male Dominated Fan Base

16 minutes ago, Best said:

We all need to just get along. We have been on this message board together for 13 years. It's like one big family. 

I have made many mistakes on here and regret a lot of shit I've said. It's time for me to cowboy the fuck up and respect others and act like an adult. 

lil kim model GIF

Going back to the article for a moment

"My belief is that storytelling does need to be representative of all people. That’s an easy decision for me," Kennedy said, before admitting its "terrifying" to work in a franchise like Star Wars today.

I agree with this in the aggregate, not at an individual basis though. And I can't tell which sense she is saying it in.

6 minutes ago, Best said:

What does all this entail? Why is it $155?

COLLECTOR'S BOX

Comprised of a set of five items: Dawntrail Special Art Box, Expertly Crafted Viper Figure, Adventurer’s Cloth Map, The Unending Journey, and Adventurer’s Pen Case. 

100% not worth the asking price lol

8 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I agree with this in the aggregate, not at an individual basis though. And I can't tell which sense she is saying it in.

I don't have access to the original NYT article, which probably provides more info, but the IGN article doesn't make this clear at all, I'm with you. Storytelling absolutely does not need to be representative of all people, and it being forced too would be terrible. But not every showrunner has to be a man (something the article emphasizes) and not every starring role needs to be a man either in a made up space opera universe. And obviously you make more money if you help cultivate untapped markets other than straight white men. So I'm not sure what she's trying to say there when the rest of the quotes are about how toxic it is for women working in Star Wars because of men, particularly online. 

• Halal 1

7 minutes ago, Bacon said:

COLLECTOR'S BOX

Comprised of a set of five items: Dawntrail Special Art Box, Expertly Crafted Viper Figure, Adventurer’s Cloth Map, The Unending Journey, and Adventurer’s Pen Case. 

100% not worth the asking price lol

Ok. Well I could get it for you but only if you REALLY want it. I know you're a huge FF14 guy. 

Let's take this to pm so we don't derail this thread anymore than it already has been. 

9 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I don't have access to the original NYT article, which probably provides more info, but the IGN article doesn't make this clear at all, I'm with you. Storytelling absolutely does not need to be representative of all people, and it being forced too would be terrible. But not every showrunner has to be a man (something the article emphasizes) and not every starring role needs to be a man either in a made up space opera universe. And obviously you make more money if you help cultivate untapped markets other than straight white men. So I'm not sure what she's trying to say there when the rest of the quotes are about how toxic it is for women working in Star Wars because of men, particularly online. 

Here's the full article via gift link

WWW.NYTIMES.COM

Her new “Star Wars” show is a dream come true, but she knows it carries enormous expectations. “I would be lying if I said I wasn’t scared,” she said.

However, it doesn't provide much more context than the IGN piece at the beginning.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Here's the full article via gift linkiece at the beginning.

You're right, it does not elaborate. That's a very strange quote since she seems to be saying: "I don't intentionally try to diversify the cast and crew of our projects" whilst she stands behind . . . diversifying the cast and crew of her projects? No idea what she meant during her "brief telephone interview" for the piece.

Worse was me reading the full article and one Youtube comment on the trailer they pulled (bot comment or not, I don't know) was “why are there so many women, girls and minority characters increasingly dominating the ranks of Jedi?” reads a comment on “The Acolyte” trailer, with others expressing a similar worldview." And the fact that some trolls online are calling the show "The Wokelyte". So that's just great. As usual, imagine the mental gymnastics at trying to understand why the ranks of the Jedi would include people from any walk of life. "Increasingly dominating" is pretty strong verbiage for "making equal". 

1 minute ago, stepee said:

LETS TALK ABOUT BOYS NOW

YEAH YEAH BOYS

DONT YOU KNOW I MEAN BOYS 

YEAH YEAH BOYS

What a BUNDLE OF JOY it used to be

• Haha 1
  • Hype 1

23 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

You're right, it does not elaborate. That's a very strange quote since she seems to be saying: "I don't intentionally try to diversify the cast and crew of our projects" whilst she stands behind . . . diversifying the cast and crew of her projects? No idea what she meant during her "brief telephone interview" for the piece.

Worse was me reading the full article and one Youtube comment on the trailer they pulled (bot comment or not, I don't know) was “why are there so many women, girls and minority characters increasingly dominating the ranks of Jedi?” reads a comment on “The Acolyte” trailer, with others expressing a similar worldview." And the fact that some trolls online are calling the show "The Wokelyte". So that's just great. As usual, imagine the mental gymnastics at trying to understand why the ranks of the Jedi would include people from any walk of life. "Increasingly dominating" is pretty strong verbiage for "making equal". 

Right? Also, while maybe not characters with a lot of dialogue, the prequels had quite a diverse array of Jedi. 

• True 1

I've ever only seen the first one that's now the 4th one and the new first one but I have liked the universe in the Jedi games, and I'll probably end up getting Outlaws day 1 unless it previews like crap somehow. Maybe I should watch the rest of this stuff sometime. 

• Shocked 1

3 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I will as well, and I will try to be accountable on not being overly harsh either knowing this is a new, blank, clean slate. 

Good luck with that.

At least he acknowledges how disgusting he was toward me before. The behavior has improved to a degree, but he still can't handle when a woman calls him out so it's probably for the best he has me on ignore. I just don't really fool with him anymore. He's not worth it.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Good luck with that.

At least he acknowledges how disgusting he was toward me before. The behavior has improved to a degree, but he still can't handle when a woman calls him out so it's probably for the best he has me on ignore. I just don't really fool with him anymore. He's not worth it.

I don't have you on block. Yes, it's best we stay away from each other. I apologized to you and now we both move forward. 

1 minute ago, Best said:

I don't have you on block. Yes, it's best we stay away from each other. I apologized to you and now we both move forward. 

You indicated you did. But it doesn't matter. I just cringe a bit and move on. Good luck on improving  yourself.

19 minutes ago, Dodger said:

I've ever only seen the first one that's now the 4th one and the new first one but I have liked the universe in the Jedi games, and I'll probably end up getting Outlaws day 1 unless it previews like crap somehow. Maybe I should watch the rest of this stuff sometime. 

Wait so like… you’ve never seen Empire Strikes Back or Return of the Jedi? Yet still have interest in the video games in general? I mean that’s cool just kind of unheard of. Haha

Just now, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

You indicated you did. But it doesn't matter. I just cringe a bit and move on. Good luck on improving  yourself.

No, I blocked a few around here but never you. Thank you. 

2 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I agree with this in the aggregate, not at an individual basis though

Pretty sure she's referencing Star Wars which is an ENTIRE universe that according to the original trilogy, only had one black dude and white people. People of other colors don't exist in space and Lando was the last of his kind I guess?

36 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Wait so like… you’ve never seen Empire Strikes Back or Return of the Jedi? Yet still have interest in the video games in general? I mean that’s cool just kind of unheard of. Haha

I find the universe to be generally interesting. Also I loved Shameless so maybe I just have an affinity for the actor who plays Cal, but in general I've liked the setting and the characters and world of the games. 

4 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Pretty sure she's referencing Star Wars which is an ENTIRE universe that according to the original trilogy, only had one black dude and white people. People of other colors don't exist in space and Lando was the last of his kind I guess?

No disagreement there. In the aggregate (a full universe comprised of many stories) I definitely agree with the statement.

2 minutes ago, Dodger said:

I find the universe to be generally interesting. Also I loved Shameless so maybe I just have an affinity for the actor who plays Cal, but in general I've liked the setting and the characters and world of the games. 

I am with you in loving Shameless so that is my reason of really liking Cal in the games. 

Have you seen the Star Wars trilogy from 1977-1983?

29 minutes ago, Best said:

I am with you in loving Shameless so that is my reason of really liking Cal in the games. 

Have you seen the Star Wars trilogy from 1977-1983?

I might have seen the other 2 when I was little. I watched episode 1(IV) like a year ago and meant to go through the series but didn't. I'm kinda in a funk right now with stuff to watch but maybe I'll try again. I watched Phantom Menace when it first came out and it was kinda terrible. But the world and lore of it all is interesting. 

• Halal 1

3 minutes ago, Dodger said:

I might have seen the other 2 when I was little. I watched episode 1(IV) like a year ago and meant to go through the series but didn't. I'm kinda in a funk right now with stuff to watch but maybe I'll try again. I watched Phantom Menace when it first came out and it was kinda terrible. But the world and lore of it all is interesting. 

Phantom Menace doesn't compare to episode IV, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi. You should watch them at some point. 

8 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Shameless is awesome. Just started watching recently and I’m halfway through season 2. 

As a huge Shameless fan the series really takes a turn for the worst around season 5. They should have ended the show then but boy oh boy do they drag it out. 

The first 3 seasons are incredible. 

• Halal 1

6 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Shit you think Denzel Washington was popular with black women because of his acting chops? or Ryan Gosling is a star because he's so talented?

You probably could have picked better examples than actors who do in fact have good looks, AND good acting abilities lol

Unless of course you're saying they aren't good actors! :shock:

3 minutes ago, Brick said:

You probably could have picked better examples than actors who do in fact have good looks, AND good acting abilities lol

Unless of course you're saying they aren't good actors! :shock:

No they're good actors... but so are Sam Jackson and Morgan Freeman. Women I knew growing up weren't running out the house to see every movie those guys were in JUST because the are very good actors.

4 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

No they're good actors... but so are Sam Jackson and Morgan Freeman. Women I knew growing up weren't running out the house to see every movie those guys were in JUST because the are very good actors.

My granny is 85 and STILL calls me every time a Denzel movie is coming out to find out if it is playing at one of my theaters so she can get my Dad to take her 😂

• Hype 1