Star Wars Boss Says Women in Star Wars Suffer From Toxicity Due to male Dominated Fan Base

Interesting because the internet told me she was going to be fired 4 times over the last 6 or so years

WWW.IGN.COM

Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy has said women in Star Wars, such as The Acolyte showrunner Leslye Headland, struggle due to a male dominated fanbase.

This is gonna be good...

Anticipation Popcorn GIF

• Nokra changed the title to Star Wars Boss Says Women in Star Wars Suffer From Toxicity Due to male Dominated Fan Base
2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

OOC were any of the new male characters received well outside of Mando + Grogu? 

The actors behind the male characters certainly weren't harassed online like the actors behind the female characters were, regardless of how well any of the characters were received and that's the difference.

• Halal 1

19 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

The actors behind the male characters certainly weren't harassed online like the actors behind the female characters were, regardless of how well any of the characters were received and that's the difference.

Yea, I’m not questioning the harassment because there’s no question to that :p 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

OOC were any of the new male characters received well outside of Mando + Grogu? 

Well they tried to make Finn and Poe gay so nope. Thankfully, the great movie that is Episode IX retconned all that and shoehorned each of them love interests of the opposite sex and the same race just like reddit wanted the whole time.

55 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Yea, I’m not questioning the harassment because there’s no question to that :p 

Well, I can't say it's a direct correlation but I imagine a character's actor being less targeted online means they were at least better received by the fanbase than the female characters. Whether better constitutes "well received" I'm not sure. :p 

20 minutes ago, 69los said:

Well they tried to make Finn and Poe gay so nope. Thankfully, the great movie that is Episode IX retconned all that and shoehorned each of them love interests of the opposite sex and the same race just like reddit wanted the whole time.

I just hate that star wars has become some culture war bs between conservatives and liberals, it's so distracting from the movies and I wish it was just about telling a cohesive story - the prequels suck but at least they were about selling and building the sw universe. Now everyone has some agenda that has nothing to do with storytelling and they really haven't added anything to the world of star wars. I know I sound like some conservative nutso right now - but I don't care what color or gender the characters are, I just wish the movies didn't suck.

Except for Andor and Rogue One, it's all been just marketing hype to sell plastic. Maybe that's all it ever was!

• Halal 1

12 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

I just hate that star wars has become some culture war bs between conservatives and liberals, it's so distracting from the movies and I wish it was just about telling a cohesive story - the prequels suck but at least they were about selling and building the sw universe. Now everyone has some agenda that has nothing to do with storytelling and they really haven't added anything to the world of star wars. I know I sound like some conservative nutso right now - but I don't care what color or gender the characters are, I just wish the movies didn't suck.

Except for Andor and Rogue One, it's all been just marketing hype to sell plastic. Maybe that's all it ever was!

The only reason that Star Wars has become "some culture war bs" is because conservatives came out as having a problem with these female characters online, and liberals responded defending them. Pretty sure that makes this all on conservatives. No one else cares. Yes, liberals can demand that films attempt more diversity when they can but that's not an "agenda" but a demand for fairer representation in media in America and it's conservatives who have made Star Wars a main part of that.

• Halal 1

7 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Well, I can't say it's a direct correlation but I imagine a character's actor being less targeted online means they were at least better received by the fanbase than the female characters. Whether better constitutes "well received" I'm not sure. :p 

It just seems like SW fans have hated basically any and all new characters except ones from the Mandalorian and maybe Rogue One. It’s fair to argue that the degree of hate varies of course 

• Halal 1

4 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

The only reason that Star Wars has become "some culture was bs" is because conservatives came out as having a problem with these female characters online, and liberals responded defending them. Pretty sure that makes this all on conservatives. No one else cares. Yes, liberals can demand that films attempt more diversity when they can but that's not an "agenda" but a demand for fairer representation in media in America and it's conservatives who have made Star Wars a main part of that.

The movies still suck tho

5 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

It just seems like SW fans have hated basically any and all new characters except ones from the Mandalorian and maybe Rogue One. It’s fair to argue that the degree of hate varies of course 

Hated? I think that's possible but my understanding is younger generations really took to The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi (I have not gotten the sense anyone likes The Rise of Skywalker, and that's because it sucks). There are plenty of people (usually younger people) you can find online cosplaying as Finn or Poe or Rey, etc. But whether Poe or Finn are hated like Rey and Rose were or not, it's definitely as you say, that the degree of hate varies and is considerably less for the male characters, specifically amongst the Star Wars fanbase.

• Halal 1

3 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

The only reason that Star Wars has become "some culture was bs" is because conservatives came out as having a problem with these female characters online, and liberals responded defending them. Pretty sure that makes this all on conservatives. No one else cares. Yes, liberals can demand that films attempt more diversity when they can but that's not an "agenda" but a demand for fairer representation in media in America and it's conservatives who have made Star Wars a main part of that.

Same people railing on game companies for hiring consultants for making sure they get their diverse characters correct ( or to them SHOVING IT DOWN OUR THROATS ARRR BLACK PEOPLE IN VIDIA GAMES!)

• Halal 1

3 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Hated? I think that's possible but my understanding is younger generations really took to The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi (I have not gotten the sense anyone likes The Rise of Skywalker, and that's because it sucks). There are plenty of people (usually younger people) you can find online cosplaying as Finn or Poe or Rey, etc. But whether Poe or Finn are hated like Rey and Rose were or not, it's definitely as you say, that the degree of hate varies and is considerably less for the male characters, specifically amongst the Star Wars fanbase.

I don’t think the younger people who actually liked the newest movies are the ones doing the harassing, though :p 

• True 1
  • Halal 1

1 minute ago, SuperSpreader said:

Anyway, no one should get harassed for being in the movies. Who even has time for that? Get a life. jfc

Strong disagree, I think one of the convictions for Trump should be his acting from Home Alone 2

• Haha 1
  • True 1

2 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

The movies still suck tho

No one said movies with diversity and fairer representation can't suck too! But at least now, at least that problem is getting fixed, shitty movie or not. That's a win compared to the white monoculture of the past.

In fact, I watch a lot of older movies and I can tell you that especially given the last 10-15 years of more diverse films it is almost hilariously bad how white washed films were, even until recently. Conservatives are already complaining about the "woke agenda" in Hollywood and the media when until recently, it was almost all white, almost all the time. Remember as minorities whenever we got any accurate representation in Hollywood we were all surprised and blown away. That feeling is barely non-existent for me today when there are shows like Ramy and Ms. Marvel and numerous famous South Asian actors in the West, etc. So whether the movies still suck though or not, Star Wars was only tainted thanks to conservatives. If they'd just grow the fuck up, the only conversation around The Last Jedi ever should have been relevant to the movie itself, and not stuff like feminist filmmaking, overturning stupid male tropes, punishing stupid male behavior to make a point, whathaveyou. 

2 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Same people railing on game companies for hiring consultants for making sure they get their diverse characters correct ( or to them SHOVING IT DOWN OUR THROATS ARRR BLACK PEOPLE IN VIDIA GAMES!)

Woke is ruining everything. They're now taking really attractive women who play the main characters in a game and making them slightly less attractive in the game itself. 

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, SuperSpreader said:

Anyway, no one should get harassed for being in the movies. Who even has time for that? Get a life. jfc

(I'm very grumpy this morning)

Yes, none of the actors should be harassed. That hate should all go straight to Kathleen Kennedy, who is the sole reason behind everything we don’t like about modern Star Wars (and everything we like can be attributed to someone else). 

• Like 1
  • True 1

3 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

god i hate star wars

Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

It;s most older Star Wars fans that hate the newer stuff and disregard it. Younger fans seem to enjoy the new material, Marvel's Star Wars comics are consistently their best sellers and those books tend to focus on what happened in between the O.T. for example, the main Star Wars comic and Darth Vader's comic are JUST getting to Return of The Jedi. All of the other Star Wars comics take place at different points in the timeline. Rebels and Bad Batch were both well received, mostly by millenials, my Star Wars friends who are Gen-X and older tend to disregard EVERYTHING that isn't original trilogy or wasn't written by Timothy Zann. The toxic Star Wars fandom is a combination of mysogyny, racism and old men yelling at clouds.

• Haha 1
  • Halal 1

30 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

Yes, none of the actors should be harassed. That hate should all go straight to Kathleen Kennedy, who is the sole reason behind everything we don’t like about modern Star Wars (and everything we like can be attributed to someone else). 

Don't worry about her, she's going to be fired any day now...

I See You Reaction GIF by Music Choice

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

It should be noted, Star Wars isn't special in that regard, it's just maybe the most famous. Every franchise now is the center of a "culture war". Every OBJECT is the center of a "culture war". If it isn't Budweiser assaulting good family values or Starbucks trying to destroy Christmas, it's something else. Hell the conservatives have an app now that tells you which products at the grocery store you're allowed to buy.

• True 1
  • Halal 3

12 minutes ago, Reputator said:

It should be noted, Star Wars isn't special in that regard, it's just maybe the most famous. Every franchise now is the center of a "culture war". Every OBJECT is the center of a "culture war". If it isn't Budweiser assaulting good family values or Starbucks trying to destroy Christmas, it's something else. Hell the conservatives have an app now that tells you which products at the grocery store you're allowed to buy.

I just want to hate Star Wars because of JarJar not because of all of it and everything around it. 😭