Concord (multiplayer hero FPS | PC/PS5) - update (09/20): game director departs Firewalk Studios, development costs reportedly $400 million

Just now, SaysWho? said:

I haven't seen anything about price. Something just come out about it?

No price as far as I’m aware, I was just surprised to find out they are charging. I already thought it had an uphill fight as a free game.

3 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I haven't seen anything about price. Something just come out about it?

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

No price as far as I’m aware, I was just surprised to find out they are charging. I already thought it had an uphill fight as a free game.

The base game price is $40 (same as Helldivers 2).

• Thanks 1

Live-service can flourish spectacularly or bomb really fucking hard, but for whatever it's worth, Helldivers II isn't a free game and it's killing it. I'm not saying Concord is the next HD, but I don't think it necessarily dooms it, either.

11 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Live-service can flourish spectacularly or bomb really fucking hard, but for whatever it's worth, Helldivers II isn't a free game and it's killing it. I'm not saying Concord is the next HD, but I don't think it necessarily dooms it, either.

Stranger things have happened, but I never had that feeling for HD2 at all, and actually was less surprised than others that it exploded like it did! HD was competing against..idk what even. This is going direct against free games like OW2.

• True 1

Stranger things have happened, but I never had that feeling for HD2 at all, and actually was less surprised than others that it exploded like it did! HD was competing against..idk what even. This is going direct against free games like OW2.

I definitely felt it was in trouble when it was slated to release last year when it was crowded. When it was moved, I just didn't know if it would catch fire since Helldivers 1 did well but it wasn't this universally known title, and going into a more normal third person mode could remove its more unique look. So I just didn't know one way or another, but I'm glad it not only succeeded, but succeeded with flying colors!

• Hype 1

8 hours ago, stepee said:

Helldivers is very much it's own thing and had a very appealing aesthetic and run up to it's launch.

But like you said Concord is going up against Overwatch 2, the Marvel game, Valve's unannounced game, Apex, Paladins, Team Fortress, Valorant - all of which are free, and this game has the appeal of a ratty old shoe so far. :p

13 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Helldivers is very much it's own thing and had a very appealing aesthetic and run up to it's launch.

But like you said Concord is going up against Overwatch 2, the Marvel game, Valve's unannounced game, Apex, Paladins, Team Fortress, Valorant - all of which are free, and this game has the appeal of a ratty old shoe so far. :p

This is my impression so far as well!

BLOG.PLAYSTATION.COM

Learn how you and your friends can be among the first to play Concord as part of our upcoming beta and how to receive early access at launch.

Hey everyone! After revealing Concord last week, we’re excited to continue unpacking more about the game and answering your questions in the days and weeks ahead, beginning today with more information about how you and your friends can check out our upcoming beta, details on the physical and digital editions of the game for PS5 and PC¹, and how you can get early access to Concord when it launches in August.

From the very beginning, we wanted Concord to be a complete multiplayer-focused experience that combines engaging gameplay, rewarding progression, and a robust roster of characters, maps, and game modes right out of the gate, while also creating a platform for us to evolve and expand the game and universe over time.

When it launches in August, Concord will debut in a standard edition (available in both physical and digital versions for $39.99 / £34.99 / €39.99 / ¥4,480 MSRP) that provides the full Concord experience, including all 16 playable Freegunners, 12 unique maps set on various worlds, and six distinct team-based game modes, which will expand shortly after launch with regular, post-launch updates for all players at no additional cost. 

53771594350_384c720f18_4k.jpg

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Concord (multiplayer hero FPS | PC/PS5 | 23 August 2024) - pre-orders now available ($40)

Say what you will about the game, but $40 the right price for a multiplayer new IP.  Helldivers 2 made that very clear.

I'm all for this being a pricing trend, if the monetization is fair.  Paying extra for a few days of early access is still shit though.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Concord (multiplayer hero FPS | PC/PS5 | 23 August 2024) - pre-orders now available ($40), gives early access to beta and full release
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

You're going to need some pretty heavy hardware for this one.

Minimum (1080p, 60 fps, low graphics preset)

• CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K or AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
  • RAM: 8GB DDR4
  • GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 6GB or AMD Radeon RX 5500 XT
  • Storage: 30GB SSD

Recommended (1080p, 60 fps, medium graphics preset)

• CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K or AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
  • RAM: 16GB DDR4
  • GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 Super or AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT

Performance (1440p, 60 fps, high graphics preset)

• CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K or AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
  • GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 or AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT

Ultra (4K, 60 fps, ultra graphics preset)

• CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K or AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
  • GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Ti or AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Concord (multiplayer hero FPS | PC/PS5 | 23 August 2024) - update (07/08): PC system requirements revealed
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Concord (multiplayer hero FPS | PC/PS5 | 23 August 2024) - update (07/11): Early Access Beta (07/12-07/14) now open to all PlayStation Plus members
13 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

I don’t see where to preload it

From what I understand, the pre-load is only available for pre-orders.  If you're just getting it through PS Plus, then the download won't be available until the beta is actually released.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Something I touched on in the Wukong thread is a perplexing return on investment here.

Wukong was a 3rd party marketing deal between Chinese sperm symbol and Sony. But after it blew up on Steam in a big way I wondered how many people in China had a PS5. Was that a profitable deal for them.

On the flip side is Concord which is a first party game that I feel like was hung out to dry here. Very little fanfare the days before launch. A game I nearly forgot that was coming out that day. The player count is only getting worse. Could Sony have done more for this game? This feels like one of the biggest flops ever. Even Babylon's Fall had at least 1k players at it's peak. 😬

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Concord (multiplayer hero FPS | PC/PS5) - update (08/24): dear, oh dear

Game Information

Game Title: Concord

Platforms:

• PC (Aug 23, 2024)
  • PlayStation 5 (Aug 23, 2024)

Developer: Firewalk Studios

Publisher: PlayStation Publishing LLC

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 66 average - 23% recommended

Critic Reviews

Spoiler

Atarita - Alparslan Gürlek - Turkish - 50 / 100

Concord disappointed me as a service game sold at almost full price despite the lack of originality in the gameplay.

CGMagazine - Jordan Biordi - 6.5 / 10

Concord has a few interesting ideas, but its live service trappings, lacklustre game design and mediocre level design keep it from being truly great.

Checkpoint Gaming - Charlie Kelly - 8 / 10

Concord is a great shooter that will pleasantly surprise those willing to tune out the outside noise. Within is fantastic minute-to-minute gunplay and action, complimented by a diverse cast with diverse abilities that can mix up a game at a moment's notice. Though it's perhaps the least revolutionary game we've seen in a long time and still in need of small functions like leaderboards and a clearer vision for its future, what's here today is some of the best multiplayer gaming I've experienced in forever. I've found so many weirdo heroes I've grown a rich affinity for, whether it's via their deep-prosed lore or their chaos-causing gameplay. Concord's fate isn't quite written in the stars yet; it's far better than a majority are giving it credit for. I pray you join me and other Freegunners on this voyage. We need you.

Chicas Gamers - Alba Nausicáa - Spanish - 8 / 10

If you are a lover of 5vs5 shooters you are going to love it, graphically it is spectacular and although in terms of game design it is a little green, we hope that Firewalk does a great job with its free updates

Digital Trends - Giovanni Colantonio - 3 / 5

Concord isn’t a poor multiplayer offering by any means. It has fun hero-shooter bones, an eclectic cast of characters with distinct strategies, and rich world-building that’s set to dribble out consistently over time. It’s just that Firewalk Studios’ debut lacks original ideas that elevate that promising foundation. The result is a perfectly fine, though imbalanced, live service shooter that doesn’t feel long for this universe.

Echo Boomer - David Fialho - Portuguese - No Recommendation

Concord is not a bad game, but unfortunately, it is more uninteresting than it deserves to be, with the foundations of a basic free-to-play (despite having a cost) and few incentives to keep us invested.

Game Rant - Dalton Cooper - 3.5 / 5

Those wanting to roll the dice on Concord will find an excellent FPS full of exciting abilities, intense battles, and eye-popping visuals. The game's character designs, premium price point, and general lack of interest from the public may make it so Concord never really gets a chance, and so potential consumers need to weigh the risks of investing [money] on a game that may be dead before too long.

God is a Geek - Mick Fraser - 6.5 / 10

Sadly, Concord struggles to find its own identity given the overused sci-fi setting and the overdone gameplay structure.

Hobby Consolas - David Rodriguez - Spanish - 72 / 100

Concord presents great gameplay as a first-person shooter while taking us back to simpler times with a traditional, albeit sparse, progression system. Unfortunately, his lack of personality means that he fails to capture the attention he should deserve in a genre where there are already too many games.

NoobFeed - Ahnaf Tajwar - 45 / 100

Concord is a decent 5v5 hero shooter but does not offer enough to stand out from the mature competition. This game really needed some sort of hype, X-factor, for it to even catch the eyes of gamers. The aesthetic is impressive, but the character designs are nothing to write home about. The gunplay has some potential, but the move speed is too slow, and you simply have too much HP. I don't have high hopes for this game's longevity.

Push Square - Sammy Barker - 7 / 10

Concord is a clean and well-meaning first-person shooter, with no shady business practices to boot. Its lack of real identity is an issue, and it's difficult to determine just how much Sony is going to get behind it long-term. However, there's a polished and beautifully presented experience on offer here, with some interesting tactical team-building systems and sublime animations. Firewalk's debut may not be out of this world, but it's genuinely pretty good overall.

Saudi Gamer - Arabic - 6 / 10

Concord has one of the most solid and polished controls, but the game doesn't bring anything new or innovative to the already busy and established market for Hero Shooters

The Beta Network - Anthony Culinas - 6 / 10

Concord's story isn’t particularly intriguing, the characters aren’t memorable, half of the game modes don’t exactly fit and the progression is lacking at best. Does this sound like a live-service that has staying power? Probably not.

On 8/25/2024 at 10:45 AM, Paperclyp said:

This makes me kinda bummed. I have no interest in it but that’s a lot of hard work by people to just have no engagement with it. How long until it’s free in a last ditch effort? 

Just for the developer’s sake, I was hoping that it could even have half the audience of Helldivers II.