TRAILER FOR ASTRO MOTHERFUCKING GDAMN BOT HAS RELEASED, GAME COMES OUT SEPTEMBER 6, 2024 (09/05: reviews posted)

3 minutes ago, Best said:

Wow. I REALLY loved Odyssey so this is extremely high praise. 

I wasn't really a fan. I mean, I gave it a 7/10 but easily the worst 3D Mairo that I have played and I've played Sunshine. Outside of cappy, hated pretty much every decision Nintendo made. I especially hated how big and bland the levels were. Astro Bot is much smaller and tighter. You could say this is more of a competitor to SM64 or Mario Galaxy rather than SMO, but SMO is also the most recent Mario so yeah. Joseph Anderson's video pretty much lists out all of my complaints about SMO.

• Halal 1

13 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I wasn't really a fan. I mean, I gave it a 7/10 but easily the worst 3D Mairo that I have played and I've played Sunshine. Outside of cappy, hated pretty much every decision Nintendo made. I especially hated how big and bland the levels were. Astro Bot is much smaller and tighter. You could say this is more of a competitor to SM64 or Mario Galaxy rather than SMO, but SMO is also the most recent Mario so yeah. Joseph Anderson's video pretty much lists out all of my complaints about SMO.

I put SM64 as not only the best platformer but probably the greatest game of all-time.

Galaxy was special as well. So if Astrobot is in the same conversation it must be brilliant. 

5 minutes ago, Bacon said:

As a platformer, I would not put Astro Bot above SM64. Astro Bot's platforming mechanics are simple.

Yeah. I think this game is very good. I’m having a blast with it. 

that said, there’s no world where this is a  9.5-10/10 for me. I think the praise is a bit overblown personally. Mario this is not.

It’s still really good, probably my second favourite game this year, but it’s not a Mario level masterpiece.

• Halal 1

End of World 1 spoilers:

Spoiler

I've never played an Ape Escape, but I found the little gameplay twist so endearing, and they made it fun! So if you're wondering how someone would react who doesn't have the same nostalgia for the IP, there ya go.

9 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

End of World 1 spoilers:

Hide contents

I've never played an Ape Escape, but I found the little gameplay twist so endearing, and they made it fun! So if you're wondering how someone would react who doesn't have the same nostalgia for the IP, there ya go.

There’s a later one that is even better. It’s a very creative game. Incredibly fun to play. It’s very charming and cute.

The brand definitely needed the win. 

Finished the first galaxy (although it looks like they might have some extra hidden things based on the scan). Overall it's quite good. They've nailed making everything interactive and just fun play with. If I had one wish it's that it would have more challenge to it, but it remains delightful.

• Thanks 1
  • True 1

6 minutes ago, legend said:

Finished the first galaxy (although it looks like they might have some extra hidden things based on the scan). Overall it's quite good. They've nailed making everything interactive and just fun play with. If I had one wish it's that it would have more challenge to it, but it remains delightful.

I think the easy difficulty and the lack of any kind of advanced platforming will ensure this doesn't hit a 10.

• True 1

Everything about this game feels incredible (ex. no other game has come close to pulling off immersive Dual Shock feedback), and everything about this game makes me happy.

So for those reasons, I enjoy Astro Bot more than the recent Mario iterations.

• Halal 1

I'm not put off by it, but I am not a fan of controller gimmicks. In GoW:R I turned off all the special trigger functions. Nor was I charmed by blowing into the controller. Not gonna dock any points, but for me, it doesn't boost the score.

• Sicko 1
  • Halal 1

Nearly done with the second galaxy.

The

Spoiler

triangle

levels introduced some cool platforming challenges. I can see why @Bacon and maybe even @baconbits had some issues.

Overall, the game continues to throw clever new gameplay mechanics into new levels with Downsize Surprise being a particular delight for me.

20 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Really? I’m seeing nothing but love.

the more I play, the more fun I’m having. 

There are dumb people who see this as journalist/sony propaganda and that no one should fall for it or like it.

21 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Nearly done with the second galaxy.

The

Reveal hidden contents

levels introduced some cool platforming challenges. I can see why @Bacon and maybe even @baconbits had some issues.

Overall, the game continues to throw clever new gameplay mechanics into new levels with Downsize Surprise being a particular delight for me.

The 

Spoiler

Circle

levels are even better.

We'll see if the trend holds!

I've nearly 100% the first three galaxies now (I think I have one thing left in one of them, but my controller was about to die :p ) and have yet to start the fourth.

If this game comes out with an expansion and more challenge levels, I would happily buy it and that would raise its status among 3d platformers even higher.

• Shocked 1