TRAILER FOR ASTRO MOTHERFUCKING GDAMN BOT HAS RELEASED, GAME COMES OUT SEPTEMBER 6, 2024 (09/05: reviews posted)

BLOG.PLAYSTATION.COM

Join Astro on his own supersized space adventure.

In this brand-new game, you will explore 6 galaxies and over 80 levels in search of Astro’s scattered crew. Hold on tight to your Dual Speeder and dive down to each unique planet, from lush forests, sandy beaches, hot volcanoes to more surprising locations such as a gigantic hourglass or the canopy of a singing tree!

To get help on his mission, Astro can use over 15 new abilities offering unique play styles. As you would expect from an Astro game, these take full advantage of the DualSense controller, its haptic feedback and adaptive triggers so you can feel every little step along the journey. Among the many new powers, you will find Barkster, the Bulldog Booster that lets you air-dash and smash through enemies, metal and glass, the Twin-Frog Gloves that offer long-range punching and the ability to swing and the Giant Sponge that lets you suck up water from the environment to grow huge and cause massive (and slightly moist) destruction. Combined with improved Astro controls, these new powers take the Astro platforming experience to new heights, while remaining accessible for all. We can’t wait for you to get your hands on these and let us know how they feel.

• Halal 1
  • Hype 2

EW.COM

'Astro Bot' is getting its first full-fledged platform game for the PS5. Team Asobi exclusively tells EW how it's packed full of PlayStation universe Easter eggs.

"We wanted to make a big game," Doucet tells EW of the platformer with more than 80 different levels. "This is really about going up one notch — really several notches — and having Astro's big story. We call it Astro Bot because we treat this as a new beginning. That's a really, really big game. I think for us, that's the biggest game we've ever made."

The premise centers around an incident that breaks apart Astro's DualSense Spaceship (in the form of PlayStation gaming equipment) and scattering its bits across the universe. The bot now has to embark on a mission to find all the pieces.

According to Doucet, there are 80 planets spread out across six galaxies. One world, he explains, features an island in the form of a giant crab. Others, as seen in the announcement trailer released on Thursday, feature other environments like jungle, volcanic, and desert. "We really wanted to make sure that the player had a renewed experience every 10 minutes or so," he says.

Behind the scenes, Doucet calls the game a "PlayStation fiesta," given that it's stacked with so many callouts to the entire history of PlayStation. There's even a bot version of PaRappa the Rapper, the hip-hop canine star first introduced back in the 1990s. It's not a coincidence, either, that Astro Bot is arriving during the yearlong 30th anniversary of PlayStation celebration.

friends robot GIF by PlayStationDE

• Hype 1

I don’t know why they couldn’t just put it in VR as a gamepad game on psvr2 :/ It works great, people can mod old games to work that way. Why can’t Sony do it to provide unique content for their unsupported headset oy.

Also I’m a little cynical in a post Studio Japan era and with just their general output and respect for their history to have a game celebrating it.

THAT SAID.

Game. Of. The. Fucking. Year.

• stepee 1

22 hours ago, stepee said:

I don’t know why they couldn’t just put it in VR as a gamepad game on psvr2 :/ It works great, people can mod old games to work that way. Why can’t Sony do it to provide unique content for their unsupported headset oy.

Also I’m a little cynical in a post Studio Japan era and with just their general output and respect for their history to have a game celebrating it.

THAT SAID.

Sony is just fucking stupid... their breakout PSVR title yet no PSVR2 support here... I hope that when the Pro is announced they say it will have VR support on the Pro... At least with all their stupidity and monumental failures as of late they are putting more effort into PC support. 

• Halal 1

Astrobot was a charming, surprisingly polished love letter to the history of PlayStation that was at best minorly annoying to play half of the time.  It was a built in demo for the controller and required you to use it in all sorts of gimmicky ways that are interesting to highlight those functions, and then irritating to complete a whole level for.  I don’t think it’s surprising that everyone loves the parts of that game that function like a standard platformer and not the climbing rock walls or springing everywhere.  Maybe if they abandon all the quirky controller bullshit it will be an entertaining little bit of fluff for $30, but if they’re going to charge &70 for this?  Nah.

• Halal 1

BLOG.PLAYSTATION.COM

The Digital Deluxe Edition also includes outfits and Dual Speeder skins both dark and shiny.  

Starting Friday, June 7, you can pre-order Astro Bot for PlayStation 5 in different 3 editions: 

Physical Standard Edition
Digital Standard Edition 
Digital Deluxe Edition

53771435418_5986d3c75b_o.jpg

53771558259_298955db6b_o.jpg

53771435413_84daa86f5c_o.jpg

• SaysWho? changed the title to TRAILER FOR ASTRO MOTHERFUCKING GDAMN BOT HAS RELEASED, GAME COMES OUT SEPTEMBER 6, 2024 (preorders begin June 7)
On 5/30/2024 at 9:23 PM, stepee said:

THAT SAID.

Because they have mostly abandoned VR. That was obvious when they stopped production. 

On 5/30/2024 at 9:29 PM, legend said:

This looks so fucking good. Between this, Sackboy's Big Adventure, and Ratchet, the PS platformer lineup has some gems.

I thought Sackboy was pretty mid.  This and ratchet though! *Chef’s Kiss*

On 5/31/2024 at 11:03 PM, LazyPiranha said:

Astrobot was a charming, surprisingly polished love letter to the history of PlayStation that was at best minorly annoying to play half of the time.  It was a built in demo for the controller and required you to use it in all sorts of gimmicky ways that are interesting to highlight those functions, and then irritating to complete a whole level for.  I don’t think it’s surprising that everyone loves the parts of that game that function like a standard platformer and not the climbing rock walls or springing everywhere.  Maybe if they abandon all the quirky controller bullshit it will be an entertaining little bit of fluff for $30, but if they’re going to charge &70 for this?  Nah.

Ok, but you’re the minority, this will sell millions. Playroom is a beloved game, tech demo or not, and people have been asking for more since day 1. 

On 5/31/2024 at 7:34 PM, DPCyric said:

Sony is just fucking stupid... their breakout PSVR title yet no PSVR2 support here... I hope that when the Pro is announced they say it will have VR support on the Pro... At least with all their stupidity and monumental failures as of late they are putting more effort into PC support. 

It’s not that stupid, VR in its current state is dying out. Sony realized that pretty quickly. It sucks, because I spent quite a bit on my headset, but it’s readily apparent this is a repeat of the Vita (which was a an incredible device).  Making this in VR wasn’t going to move headsets. 

1 hour ago, BloodyHell said:

It’s not that stupid, VR in its current state is dying out. Sony realized that pretty quickly. It sucks, because I spent quite a bit on my headset, but it’s readily apparent this is a repeat of the Vita (which was a an incredible device).  Making this in VR wasn’t going to move headsets. 

PSVR in its current state is dying out. Quest2 sold 20+ mil and Quest3 is doing quite well.

1 hour ago, BloodyHell said:

I thought Sackboy was pretty mid.  This and ratchet though! *Chef’s Kiss*

I enjoyed it on its own, but supporting couch coop with my wife raises it to the next level.

• stepee 1

2 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

VR is doing great... PSVR2 is suffering the same mistakes arrogant Sony made with the Vita.

1 hour ago, legend said:

I enjoyed it on its own, but supporting couch coop with my wife raises it to the next level.

Fuck yeah. She LOVED that game; we still like to say the term "collect-a-BELLS" sometimes. We also got it for a friend's daughter, who loved it as well.

Sackboy f'ing rules.

• stepee 1

I find it fascinating how much people like this thing. I found the actual game part of this to be a very stock standard, completely middling platformer interspersed with some controller gimmicks and a bunch of corporate masturbation that was extremely off-putting. Writing a love letter to yourself is so weird.

That said, if it helps keep 3D platformers alive, bring it on. Maybe less gimmicks and better platforming, though.

• True 1

It’s got great feeling movement, flashy visuals and nice variety for its short run time.  Which is more than I could say for a lot of 3D platformers.  It’s not one of the all time greats or anything, but this is exactly what I wanted, to see it fleshed out.

The shilling is unfortunate, but comes with the concept.  Who knows, they might do it in a more fun way than just cameos here.

MOTHERFUCKING PREVIEWS:

WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

Summer Preview | A platformer that's become my highlight of Summer Game Fest

KOTAKU.COM

The cute PS5 mascot is finally getting the big adventure it deserves

The fact that each bot represents a part of PlayStation’s history felt surprisingly alluring too. Those Easter Eggs feel more like a bonus than a crutch. Instead of relying on nostalgia and winking at hardcore fans, gathering characters from the platform’s past gives the collectibles added meaning. Each new bot, like one based on the protagonist of Journey, is like a walk down memory lane, including visiting past console eras where games like Astro Bot didn’t feel so rare. While past Astro games served as tech demos and museums, the platforming, presentation, and world design of Astro Bot feel strong enough for the game to stand on its own, even if it wasn’t bathed in gamer nostalgia.

WWW.BLOOMBERG.COM

WWW.CNET.COM

The robot is best known to PS5 owners as a throw-in controller demo. I took the new full-length platforming game for a spin.

Either way, I couldn't be more excited for more of Astro Bot, and quite frankly I'm still ashamed of PlayStation for telling us that 2024 wouldn't have any major new first-party launches because if my hands-on session was anything to go by, Astro Bot is looking to sit among PlayStation's best.

WWW.VIDEOGAMESCHRONICLE.COM

Creative director Nicolas Doucet discusses the droid every PlayStation fan is looking for…

PRESS-START.COM.AU

Astro Bot Hands-On Preview – Surprise And Delight

GAMINGTREND.COM

On May 30th, Sony announced the brand new game Astro Bot, featuring an entire game featuring our little robot buddy and some iconic costumes from all over PlayStation’s history. During Summer Game Fest I had the honor to sit down at the PlayStation area and play through four full levels of the new A

WWW.GAMESPOT.COM

Though this is the third Astro Bot game, Team Asobi feels like it's Astro Bot's true coming-out party.

WWW.IGN.COM

Did you like Astro’s Playroom? I sure did. In fact, the meanest thing I can say about it is that there wasn’t enough of it. As if in response to my hunger for more of PlayStation’s newest mascot, developer Team Asobi has opened the floodgates in Astro Bot, a game that looks to be everything I loved about the Playroom, but galaxies more of it.

• Hype 1

• SaysWho? changed the title to TRAILER FOR ASTRO MOTHERFUCKING GDAMN BOT HAS RELEASED, GAME COMES OUT SEPTEMBER 6, 2024 (6/12: previews are out)
  • 4 weeks later...
  • SaysWho? changed the title to TRAILER FOR ASTRO MOTHERFUCKING GDAMN BOT HAS RELEASED, GAME COMES OUT SEPTEMBER 6, 2024 (7/29: Astro Bot dualsense controller)

Starting Friday, August 9 at 7am PT in the U.S. and 10am local time in the U.K., France, Germany, Belgium, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Italy, Spain, Austria, and Portugal, players will be able to pre-order the DualSense wireless controller – Astro Bot Limited Edition through direct.playstation.com, as well as from select retailers. Pre-orders will also be available through select retailers in other global markets on the same day. The DualSense wireless controller – Astro Bot Limited Edition will be available in limited quantities for $79.99/ €79.99 / £69.99 / ¥11,980 and will launch on September 6, day-in-date with the launch of Astro Bot.   

Next, we doubled down on the adaptive triggers combined with haptic feedback, by tying them tightly to Astro’s new powers. For example, when using Barkster, the bulldog Jetpack, you can feel the thruster ratting against your finger in synch with the animation, giving a very dynamic and immersive feeling. Every new power up has been given that same special treatment so you will be able to experience various expressions through your fingers.

• 2 weeks later...