Games that were from the early era of 3D gaming, but are so good, feel like modern throw backs.

I’m playing Banjo Kazooie at the moment and from the controls, the level design, the writing, and overall gameplay - if it was released in 2024, it would still feel modern and completely playable. If it was an indie game that was aiming for the N64 aesthetic, it wouldn’t feel wrong.

Basically, this is a thread about early 3D games that have aged really, really well.

Another obvious N64 answer is Diddy Kong Racing.  Perfect aesthetic, little slowdown, fun controls, open area exploration, etc.  The bosses can be a little crude, but that’s the only overt blemish.  It’s aged much better than Mario Kart 64.

• Hype 1

Even Dreamcast feels a bit too late to me.  There was enough oomph in that system to make early 3D games run smooth without too many compromises.

Spyro games on the PS1 are probably the best example of 3D on the system.  Those and the Crash games hold up well.  All got faithful remakes though.

Related but unrelated, you guys remember the old screenshots of “Zelda 64”?

They were developing that and Mario at the same time, and Zelda was originally going to have the same engine as Mario, supposedly right down to Link jumping into paintings to go to other worlds.

spacer.png

• Shocked 1

5 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

Related but unrelated, you guys remember the old screenshots of “Zelda 64”?

They were developing that and Mario at the same time, and Zelda was originally going to have the same engine as Mario, supposedly right down to Link jumping into paintings to go to other worlds.

spacer.png

Jesus I do remember that screen. I was completely obsessed with Zelda 64 when the N64 initially released. Great memories but as obsessed as I was with it I never knew this fact. 

Just now, AbsolutSurgen said:

FFVII, Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, Tekken, Ridge Racer all have to be examples.

I had a think about a few of these, Tekken and Ridge Racer could definitely come out now and feel fresh, Resident Evil to a lesser extent - but FFVII and MGS, whilst great, don’t feel like they’d fit the bill of indie throw-back as strongly. 

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Project Overkill is another one. That was more isometric though.

Id say isometric 3D games count which makes me want to say Gauntlet Legends.

Just now, AbsolutSurgen said:

I think you and I have very different memories of that game.

lol I guess so because I freakin loved it and still play it! Really loved the level design and coop was great. 

8 minutes ago, gamer.tv said:

Snowboard Kids and Rocket: Robot on Wheels are some B-tier games that would still work today. 

I question the slowdown, especially in Snowboard Kids.  But if we're thinking more in terms of what a recompilation effort could look like, sure.  Snowboard Kids 2 is a more impressive game than the first.

I'd be really curious to see how the three 3D Bomberman games on N64 hold up with recompilation.  I never beat Hero, but 64 and Second Attack are fantastic games with some slight quirks.  There's not much out there like them.

I think ps1 probably has a lot of esoteric games that would make good indie games today. Parapa the Rappa/Lammy, Intelligent Cube, Devil Dice, Tail of the Sun, No one can stop mr Domino etc 

2.5D platformers are almost cheating but Klonoa would get a great reception today especially with its story. Tomba to a lesser degree. Back to 3D platformers, Ape Escape would be well received today.