California Plastic Bag Ban Plastic Bag Ban

1 hour ago, chakoo said:

Some of you guys need to stop being lazy fucks and bring a bag. It’s not that difficult, I do it all the damn time and you can get re-usable that are small enough to fit in your pockets.

I have a ton of them, but my issue is that these stores should be using biodegradables and not charging for + profiting on totes/whatever.

58 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I thought you were insinuating that new jersey had biodegradable thick plastic bags.

Also, the article says paper bags will still be available so it's not like people will have zero options.

I was saying that grocery stores should be forced to replace plastic bags with biodegradable bags at their own expense. The cost shouldn't be pushed onto the consumer where these chains suddenly get to profit off of these laws as they're charging 0.10/bag for those paper ones.

All this talk about reusable bags and "wanting the GOP to win the state in the future" (???) stores will still have paper bags ya overreacting fucks. And you can still bring your own plastic bags you've been hoarding in your pantry for 30 years if you want. None of it is a big deal. People react so outrageously stupid to change.

2 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

stores will still have paper bags

That they're now charging for when people are already complaining about grocery prices :p 

Fuck these grocery chains. If this actually helped the environment I wouldn't care, but it just benefits grocery stores in no longer needing to provide and spend money on bags for customers. As it stands, it's basically 1:1 in terms of environmental impact with reusable vs plastic bags.

10 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

That they're now charging for when people are already complaining about grocery prices :p 

Fuck these grocery chains. If this actually helped the environment I wouldn't care, but it just benefits grocery stores in no longer needing to provide and spend money on bags for customers. As it stands, it's basically 1:1 in terms of environmental impact with reusable vs plastic bags.

They've been charging for like half a decade.

7 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

They've been charging for like half a decade.

I have no idea where you live, but that's not the case in NJ. Bags have always been complimentary, and still are at places like best buy or when picking up take out orders. It's always been this way in PA (Philly area) for me as well as Delaware. 

I mean, none of this shit actually matters at all and is not a big deal, but sure. What I'm saying is this isn't some big change that's "gonna give the state to the GOP" or enrage people. Nobody actually cares.

I personally love unlimited free plastic bags, as I also used them as trash bags, but somehow I've survived.

And the paper bags are definitely biodegradable!

• Halal 1

1 minute ago, Xbob42 said:

What I'm saying is this isn't some big change that's "gonna give the state to the GOP"

I agree with you there and I wasn't the one saying that - it's a hell of an extreme take on it :p 

or enrage people. Nobody actually cares.

You'd be surprised: you should have seen the lady from PA checking out in front of me the other week. :p 

And the paper bags are definitely biodegradable!

So are the totes, but the environmental impact is my issue, and paper isn't all that much better than either the plastic or reusables afaik (though, unlike the reusables, at least it is a little better :p )

I just checked, according to a study it takes about 3 uses of a paper bag to offset the environmental impact vs using plastic bags. That's a lot better than the "every day for about 50 years" mark it takes for totes at least :p 

*Paper bag production requires more energy than plastic bag production, and since they're heavier, the transportation of them has a higher fuel/emissions impact as well.

5 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

*Paper bag production requires more energy than plastic bag production, and since they're heavier, the transportation of them has a higher fuel/emissions impact as well.

And starting in 2028, stores’ paper bags will be required to be composed of at least 50% postconsumer recycled materials.

Alright, here's how we fix it:

We invent teleportation.

Groceries just appear in your teleportation device upon ordering. No bags necessary! No fuel to go places either... in fact... you don't even need to use any type of consumable energy to travel, and now cars/trucks/planes/trains are all irrelevant! USPS, FedEx, UPS, DHL, all defunct! Now we just need a scientist or two and an investor. Let's go!

*This is why teleportation will never exist even if it were ever to become possible. How many major industries would just get "instakilled"? :p 

10 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Alright, here's how we fix it:

We invent teleportation.

Groceries just appear in your teleportation device upon ordering. No bags necessary! No fuel to go places either... in fact... you don't even need to use any type of consumable energy to travel, and now cars/trucks/planes/trains are all irrelevant! USPS, FedEx, UPS, DHL, all defunct! Now we just need a scientist or two and an investor. Let's go!

teleporting star trek GIF by HULU

• Shocked 1

3 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Just did a quick look, those paper bags cost about $0.05 each in 500 count bundles. I'm sure it's even cheaper for grocery chains who are buying them in the 10k+ range at a time, but, let's go with that 5 cents - chains now get to make 100% profit off every bag that they previously gave you for free. Capitalism folks.

If they were forced to provide biodegradables at no cost, the price would just get factored into all their other prices. The customer always pays in the end :p 

• True 1

16 minutes ago, johnny said:

bringing reusable bags is super easy. you just keep them in your car and grab them when you  go shopping. honestly don’t even think about it. it doesn’t inconvenience me at all. in fact it’s probably made bringing groceries inside easier as the reusable bags are bigger and stronger. 

This is how it's done with my situation. It's extremely easy and very efficient.