California Plastic Bag Ban Plastic Bag Ban

WASTEADVANTAGEMAG.COM

Two bills aiming to close a loophole in California’s single-use plastic bag ban that allows for stores to distribute “recyclable” alternatives passed

Two bills aiming to close a loophole in California’s single-use plastic bag ban that allows for stores to distribute “recyclable” alternatives passed through the State Senate with overwhelming support from lawmakers. Senate Bill 1053, introduced by State Sens. Catherine Blakespear (D-Encinitas) and Ben Allen (D-Santa Monica), was approved by the chamber in a 30-7 floor vote. It will now move onto the State Assembly, who also just passed an identical bill — Assembly Bill 2236 introduced by Asm. Rebecca Bauer-Kahan (D-Orinda) — in a 51-7 vote.

Both bills would remove a provision from the state’s original ban allowing stores to use thicker, “reusable” bags made out of plastic film. They would also revise the ban’s requirement for stores to provide paper bags made out of 40% recycled material to 100% recycled material. “California’s original ban on plastic bags hasn’t worked out as planned, and sadly, the state’s plastic bag waste has increased dramatically since it went into effect,” Blakespear said in a statement. “California must do its part to eliminate this scourge that is contaminating our environment.”

California implemented its single-use plastic bag ban in 2016. It came two years after a bill creating it was signed into law due to a bid by plastic manufacturers to halt its enforcement by putting the ban before voters in a statewide referendum.

As someone who was vehemently opposed initially to the bag ban (they're useful, reusable, etc.), I find that NYS plastic bag ban has actually been a good thing as I rarely if ever see them flying about whilst driving literally anywhere. That alone is great. I believe really the only places left that use these are essentially Asian related take out spots, and I still utilize these when & where I can. The real irritant is always having to remind myself to "grab bags before going shopping", but it's becoming slightly more common place. 

Now how Cali ended up having it turn out WORSE after the initial ban, hell that's on the state to figure that shit out because from an outsiders perspective, it shouldn't work out that way, right?

Just now, SoberChef said:

Now how Cali ended up having it turn out WORSE after the initial ban, hell that's on the state to figure that shit out because from an outsiders perspective, it shouldn't work out that way, right?

Well here, they banned thin plastic bags and replaced them with thick plastic bags and they charge some amount for them (though in my experience they do not charge you for them) in an effort to push people to use reusable bags, or that people are supposed to reuse the thick plastic bags but they don't and the thicker bags end up creating more waste instead.

The amount of energy needed to create the reusable bags means you have to use each one something like every day for 50 years for it offset environmental damage of the average amount of plastic bags used. Here’s what this really is: grocery stores trying to save money off of customers. What would actually be helpful is low-energy (to produce) biodegradable bags being forced on stores, but, ya know, that would cost businesses money instead of saving them pennies per customer by not providing bags at all.

• True 1

46 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

The amount of energy needed to create the reusable bags means you have to use each one something like every day for 50 years for it offset environmental damage of the average amount of plastic bags used. Here’s what this really is: grocery stores trying to save money off of customers. What would actually be helpful is biodegradable bags being forced on stores, but, ya know, that would cost businesses money instead of saving them pennies per customer by not providing bags.

48 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Ok this lady is hilarious. “Our show has given away thousands of reusable tote bags.” How do you feel about that now? “Well I loved it when I was shooting them out of a tshirt gun at people…” :lol:

"Just use reusable bags" has always struck me as a very suburban car-centric mindset. It's not a big deal to keep your reusable bags in your trunk if you're always getting around by car anyhow, but not so much if you primarily get around by walking. It also makes it a big hassle if you're visiting another city and need to buy stuff, easy to wind up in a situation where you have to buy the reusable bag and then wind up leaving it behind. 

• Wrong 1

13 minutes ago, Jason said:

"Just use reusable bags" had always struck me as a very suburban car-centric mindset. It's not a big deal to keep your reusable bags in your trunk if you're always getting around by car anyhow, but not so much if you primarily get around by walking. It also makes it a big hassle if you're visiting another city and need to buy stuff, easy to wind up in a situation where you have to buy the reusable bag and then wind up leaving it behind. 

Yeah, I have to plan ahead and stuff my pockets if I plan on going shopping. Meanwhile, people with cars often forget to put the bags back into their car so they have to buy more and end up with more than they know what to do with. That's how I got my bags for free.

5 hours ago, SoberChef said:

As someone who was vehemently opposed initially to the bag ban (they're useful, reusable, etc.), I find that NYS plastic bag ban has actually been a good thing as I rarely if ever see them flying about whilst driving literally anywhere. That alone is great. I believe really the only places left that use these are essentially Asian related take out spots, and I still utilize these when & where I can. The real irritant is always having to remind myself to "grab bags before going shopping", but it's becoming slightly more common place. 

I recall reading a piece a while back about the environmental impact of the CA ban. It also mentioned that plastic usage from bags has gone up, but there were some benefits of getting rid of the super thin bags. They're not flying around anymore, and apparently they were getting stuck in cars and recycling equipment and all sorts of things. The heavier bags reduce those issues, but yeah, a total plastic ban makes more sense.

None of the grocery stores I go to even offer plastic. But Target does actually still. Glad they are doing a total ban but I agree they should force stores to offer a biodegradable option which maybe this will help push though idk.

• Shocked 1

4 hours ago, stepee said:

None of the grocery stores I go to even offer plastic. But Target does actually still. Glad they are doing a total ban but I agree they should force stores to offer a biodegradable option which maybe this will help push though idk.

I just miss those cloth bags they had!

On 5/30/2024 at 9:22 AM, Jason said:

"Just use reusable bags" has always struck me as a very suburban car-centric mindset. It's not a big deal to keep your reusable bags in your trunk if you're always getting around by car anyhow, but not so much if you primarily get around by walking. It also makes it a big hassle if you're visiting another city and need to buy stuff, easy to wind up in a situation where you have to buy the reusable bag and then wind up leaving it behind. 

I live in DT Toronto, It is not an issue. You're most likely going to go to a store a few blocks from where you live and you'll bring your bags with you. Even if you want to grab a few items after running errands, you'll most likely have many reusable bags that fold up pretty small to fit in a pocket.

Every store still uses plastic bags here in Ohio.  I use them as trash bags for office, bathroom, and bedroom trash.

I do have a bunch of reusable ones that I got through places I've worked, the odd charitable donation, and one purchase from the Microsoft store when it was here.

8 minutes ago, finaljedi said:

Every store still uses plastic bags here in Ohio.  I use them as trash bags for office, bathroom, and bedroom trash.

Totally random question, but why not recycle the plastic bags and instead just buy different sized trash bags from the store for the different sized trash bins/cans you have?

• stepee 1

2 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Totally random question, but why not recycle the plastic bags and instead just buy different sized trash bags from the store for the different sized trash bins/cans you have?

The shopping bags fit in the little trash cans I have pretty well.  I figure giving them a second life as a trash bag is better and cheaper than buying purpose specific bags for the little trash cans.  The excess that builds up I just toss into a hefty renew bag and sit it out with the normal recycling once it fills up.

• stepee 1
  • Halal 1

20 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I too use the plastic bags from stores as trash bags for small-to-medium size bins.

This has been what my family has done for years. No plastic bag we get at the store ever goes to waste. But in PA plastic bags are still widely used. 

• Halal 1

Just now, Best said:

No plastic bag we get at the store ever goes to waste. 

Yup!  I save every plastic bag that I get because they're pretty useful and you never know when you're going to need one!

In one of my closets, I have a large plastic bag that contains nothing but smaller plastic bags!