Best way to play Mass Effect.

3 minutes ago, Best said:

Well I tried it out and played about 2 hours. Yea, the dialogue and characters don't have the same charm as the trilogy.

But I'm a fan of how combat works in this. It's very solid and the visuals on the deck are beautiful. 

It's difficult for me to really critique it since I'm so early. But I enjoyed what I have played for sure. 

You've played through the trilogy already?

1 minute ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

You've played through the trilogy already?

No I'm still on ME 1. Pretty close to the end. I'm playing both atm. I mix the games up in rotation. 

I am 3 or so hours into Andromeda and I'm not seeing anything like the negative reviews have pointed out. 

I'm thinking the initial reviews had a lot of technical issues that have been fixed. It's pretty damn good imo. I mean comparing it to ME1 I'm thinking it's on par with that. 

The voice acting is weak and the main protagonist has no personality. But either did Shepard. 

Ok. I finally got tired of the extremely generic voice acting in Andromeda. The story isn't presented well imo either. I'm back on just focusing on the Legendary edition. 

• Hype 1

5 hours ago, Best said:

I am 3 or so hours into Andromeda and I'm not seeing anything like the negative reviews have pointed out. 

I'm thinking the initial reviews had a lot of technical issues that have been fixed. It's pretty damn good imo. I mean comparing it to ME1 I'm thinking it's on par with that. 

The voice acting is weak and the main protagonist has no personality. But either did Shepard. 

Shepard was a snooze-fest

16 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Shepard was a snooze-fest

You'd be amazed how awful the main protagonist is in Andromeda.

Shepard, as dead pan as he is, is much more authentic and has better voice acting. 

• Shocked 1

I beat ME 1 this morning on my XSX. It was very well done from a story perspective. The combat was pretty smooth for the most part but having played part 3 the other day its a bit dated. 

Still, it's a tremendous RPG and it was well worth my time. 

I already have started up ME2 on my deck. It's a pretty big step up visually and I prefer the combat in it even if it is not as in depth as part 1. 

• Halal 1

18 hours ago, Best said:

You'd be amazed how awful the main protagonist is in Andromeda.

Shepard, as dead pan as he is, is much more authentic and has better voice acting. 

I might need to replay it and I did play as the brother, but by the end of the game I did not hate him. In fact I was often amused at how little respect he was shown compared to Shepard. Which makes sense because he had not earned any respect yet and had no idea how to lead. He was only there because of nepotism and an illegal AI in his head. By the end of the game though he has started to prove himself. It felt more like a “hero’s journey” story. 

19 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I might need to replay it and I did play as the brother, but by the end of the game I did not hate him. In fact I was often amused at how little respect he was shown compared to Shepard. Which makes sense because he had not earned any respect yet and had no idea how to lead. He was only there because of nepotism and an illegal AI in his head. By the end of the game though he has started to prove himself. It felt more like a “hero’s journey” story. 

Well I stopped at an interesting section but the mundane dialogue was getting to me. I was about to get into the vehicle they give you on the desert area. 

So I'm assuming you enjoyed it then?

56 minutes ago, Best said:

So I'm assuming you enjoyed it then?

overall yes. I felt it was missing a lot that made even the first game so good, that being well thought out and fleshed out lore and world building. It didn’t feel like an adventure taking place in locations unseen by anyone from our galaxy. It felt like the game took shortcuts to make the everything still feel relatable. I’d feel more like a fish out of water traveling to a non-native engish speaking country, than Ryder and crew feel in an entirely different galaxy on planets inhabited by species not of the milkyway galaxy. 

But all in all I did enjoy the game and was looking forward to more content. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

overall yes. I felt it was missing a lot that made even the first game so good, that being well thought out and fleshed out lore and world building. It didn’t feel like an adventure taking place in locations unseen by anyone from our galaxy. It felt like the game took shortcuts to make the everything still feel relatable. I’d feel more like a fish out of water traveling to a non-native engish speaking country, than Ryder and crew feel in an entirely different galaxy on planets inhabited by species not of the milkyway galaxy. 

But all in all I did enjoy the game and was looking forward to more content. 

I might load it up again and maybe give it more time. The combat is definitely a high point. 

Boy, Mass Effect 2 is really more my style compared to part 1. It is a phenomenal game with extremely satisfying combat. I'm cruising along in this and my current go to squad is Jack and Garrus. 

Everything is amped up by 100 and I can see why this game was universally praised with a 96 score at OC. 

• Halal 1

Just now, Bacon said:

BTW, Miranda is the strongest squadmate because of this.

https://masseffect2.wiki.fextralife.com/Cerberus+Officer

Once you max that out on her, Shepard gets 15% more health and deals 7.5% more damage.

And on insanity, she is very valuable to have on your team due to her having a counter to every defense. 

The best combo to have overall is Miranda and Garrus.

Oh, interesting. I'm playing on normal and it's been extremely easy so far. I did run with Miranda and Garrus before I picked up Jack. But thanks for the info.