Best way to play Mass Effect.

7 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:
  Hide contents

1)  I think the ending should have been based on in game choices, rather than by picking one of three colours and having a slideshow to conclude things

2)  I think they should have had the endings planned out as part of the writing process of the third game.

I don’t disagree it’s just I still fucking love the entire trilogy :P

• Halal 1

Boy, going from ME3 to part 1 was rough lol. But they are separated by 5 years of each other. I'm already hooked though. I forgot just how fuckin good these games are.

And it's giving me something to play on my deck which is good. 

• Hype 1

3 hours ago, Best said:

Boy, going from ME3 to part 1 was rough lol. But they are separated by 5 years of each other. I'm already hooked though. I forgot just how fuckin good these games are.

And it's giving me something to play on my deck which is good. 

are you having to do anything special to play the Legendary Edition on the Deck? 

my sister has a friend that claims they can’t play the games on the Deck. 

12 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

are you having to do anything special to play the Legendary Edition on the Deck? 

No all I had to do was sign into EA and then everything runs great. 

• Halal 1

6 minutes ago, Best said:

No all I had to do was sign into EA and then everything runs great. 

I wanted to like Mass Effect but god there is so much dialog it bored me to death. 

3 minutes ago, Biggie said:

I wanted to like Mass Effect but god there is so much dialog it bored me to death. 

Part 1 is the most RPG like and yes, there is a lot of dialogue and dialogue choices. 

However, part 3 is much different. In fact they give you an option in the beginning to pick "action mode" where it plays like a 3rd person shooter. The dialogue is cut down considerably and it's a phenomenal game. 

• Halal 1

42 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

My guess is they bought them

on the ea store not on steam and they don’t know how to install the ea app.

1 hour ago, Best said:

Part 1 is the most RPG like and yes, there is a lot of dialogue and dialogue choices. 

However, part 3 is much different. In fact they give you an option in the beginning to pick "action mode" where it plays like a 3rd person shooter. The dialogue is cut down considerably and it's a phenomenal game. 

Interesting 

Just now, Biggie said:

Interesting 

The Legendary edition gives you an in depth summary of each game. So you could potentially just play part 3 and be pretty knowledgeable in what's going.

Having said that, Greatoneshere made a good point that understanding the plot via a synopsis is not nearly as beneficial as in actually experiencing the story by playing through the game. 

I'm not sure you'd like this or not to recommend it. 

• Halal 1

6 hours ago, stepee said:

I still think people exaggerate how bad the ending was. It wasn’t great but it’s whatever and doesn’t do anything to paint my impression more negative of the series.

ME2 is what I’d say most people consider to be the best one though.

The ending to 3 was so bad I killed 8 babies afterwards. Those lives are on Bioware's hands.

5 hours ago, stepee said:

It’s not great but I guess I just didn’t have a good way to conclude it myself. I think looking back maybe the best thing to do was to not conclude it and let the reaper mystery linger more. But people acted like it ruined what is otherwise a really amazing game or even the entire series which is an all time GOAT and it just didn’t come close to doing that for me. 

I don’t really have a favorite myself besides gun to head I’d say ME1 because nothing matches being introduced to that universe the first time. I think of it all as one longer game at this point. 

They had a plan about what it was all about since the first game and even littered clues about it. It was a good idea. They should have just made the ending fit that and let you finish the fight with the interesting consequences that entails.

• Halal 1

4 minutes ago, legend said:

The ending to 3 was so bad I killed 8 babies afterwards. Those lives are on Bioware's hands.

They had a plan about what it was all about since the first game and even littered clues about it. It was a good idea. They should have just made the ending fit that and let you finish the fight with the interesting consequences that entails.

Which one did you like best?

14 minutes ago, Best said:

The Legendary edition gives you an in depth summary of each game. So you could potentially just play part 3 and be pretty knowledgeable in what's going.

Having said that, Greatoneshere made a good point that understanding the plot via a synopsis is not nearly as beneficial as in actually experiencing the story by playing through the game. 

I'm not sure you'd like this or not to recommend it. 

I own all them on GamePass 

6 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Wait…..Mass Effect is coming to the SWITCH?!?!

Im just assuming when Switch 2 comes out and Legendary collection is now an easy port that it will happen in a year or so :P

• Hype 1

1 minute ago, Best said:

A review I just read on part 3:

"Mass Effect 3 is about as good of an ending as anyone could have possibly hoped for".

:notsure:

it would have been an obvious troll of that was from even before they patched original ending months after release. 

2 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

it would have been an obvious troll of that was from even before they patched original ending months after release. 

It was definitely before they patched it. 

I'm moving a long at a good pace in ME1. It's pretty impressive this is a game from 2007.

I understand improvements have been made but the core game still holds up. 

• Confused 1
  • Hype 1

1 minute ago, Best said:

I'm moving a long at a good pace in ME1. It's pretty impressive this is a game from 2007.

I understand improvements have been made but the core game still holds up. 

My god I thought it was like swimming in quick sand

7 minutes ago, Biggie said:

My god I thought it was like swimming in quick sand

Lol. It's a great space opera. I can understand not enjoying it now in 2024. I just love ME. 

Mass Effect 1 is still my favorite. Ain't nothin' else like it. ME2 is my least liked of the 3, especially when it comes to combat. ME2 also suffers from being totally irrelevant. While it could be said that is the fault of ME3, the end result is that ME2 doesn't matter.

1 minute ago, Bacon said:

Mass Effect 1 is still my favorite. Ain't nothin' else like it. ME2 is my least liked of the 3, especially when it comes to combat. ME2 also suffers from being totally irrelevant. While it could be said that is the fault of ME3, the end result is that ME2 doesn't matter.

Yea I understand what you mean in that ME 2 really serves no purpose because part 3 is essentially the same story again. But I disagree with you about the combat. Part 2 and 3 have much better combat than part 1. 

You have no freedom in combat in ME2 and the classes feel half-finished

In mass effect, you have a lot of options and all of your abilities are on separate cool downs, unlike mass effect 2.

In mass effect 2, most classes are stripped of the hybrid nature a lot of the classes had in ME1 and made them their own thing. The problem is that then most classes only did one thing. Like the vanguard. Most of it's biotic powers were totally removed from the class, with the only option being the new biotic charge.

In mass effect 3, there were way more options, but were still corraled into 1 or 2 playstyles. Combat is also just smoother, faster, and more responsive. Every class became an advanced version of the ME2 versions. In Mass Effect 1 and 3, as a Vanguard, you eventually never needed to use cover. In 1 you had really strong shields and in 3 you were super invulnerable during your charge and nova spam. In 2, all you had was the charge. There are times you need to use cover.

• Halal 1

3 hours ago, Bacon said:

You have no freedom in combat in ME2 and the classes feel half-finished

In mass effect, you have a lot of options and all of your abilities are on separate cool downs, unlike mass effect 2.

In mass effect 2, most classes are stripped of the hybrid nature a lot of the classes had in ME1 and made them their own thing. The problem is that then most classes only did one thing. Like the vanguard. Most of it's biotic powers were totally removed from the class, with the only option being the new biotic charge.

In mass effect 3, there were way more options, but were still corraled into 1 or 2 playstyles. Combat is also just smoother, faster, and more responsive. Every class became an advanced version of the ME2 versions. In Mass Effect 1 and 3, as a Vanguard, you eventually never needed to use cover. In 1 you had really strong shields and in 3 you were super invulnerable during your charge and nova spam. In 2, all you had was the charge. There are times you need to use cover.

Thanks. I definitely love the combat options in ME1. I only played a little bit of part 2 and 3. But the first thing I noticed was much better control in covering and shooting mechanics.

But I didn't go deep into combat. 

36 minutes ago, Best said:

@Bacon @legend

What are your thoughts on Mass Effect Andromeda?

I enjoyed it! It's got a bunch of filler, but if you ignore that it's fun. In particular, I think the combat was solid. It is not up the highs of the OT, but its lows are also above the OT's lows :p 

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Best said:

@Bacon @legend

What are your thoughts on Mass Effect Andromeda?

I despise ME:A. People claim the combat is good, but that is not the style of combat I want. It's basically just Third person destiny. And god do I hate BioWare's style of open world.  DA:I and ME:A have the worst open areas. It is truly a displeasure to traverse their worlds.

As for the story and writing, these two videos sum up everything wrong with ME:A. Actually, I'll quote my whole post. Still stands.

On 1/15/2023 at 9:18 PM, Bacon said:

Beat ME:A. 

It is pretty shit. Ain't got much to say because I dislike pretty much all of it. Biggest flaw I say is dialogue. Hard for me to describe the issue but I say that is lacks consistency and cohesion. It feels very choppy in a totally different way than the trilogy. For all of its faults, ME 1-3 had very consistent conversations and Andromeda lacks that. Tone feels all over the place all the time. It often felt like I was picking wrong dialogue options. Like I didn't pick the options the Devs expected me to pick. 

But if I had to sum up exactly why MEA fails and why the Mass Effect trilogy didn't, well these videos should point out exactly why I don't like MEA and I never will.

I'm not even kidding when I encountered that bit in MEA I just didn't care anymore. Game was made wrong. 

The Mass Effect Trilogy asks what are you going to do about it, and then you show it. Mass Effect Andromeda tells you that you will do nothing about it and tells you to fuck off. 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, legend said:

I enjoyed it! It's got a bunch of filler, but if you ignore that it's fun. In particular, I think the combat was solid. It is not up the highs of the OT, but its lows are also above the OT's lows :p 

Well I tried it out and played about 2 hours. Yea, the dialogue and characters don't have the same charm as the trilogy.

But I'm a fan of how combat works in this. It's very solid and the visuals on the deck are beautiful. 

It's difficult for me to really critique it since I'm so early. But I enjoyed what I have played for sure. 

• Halal 1