Best way to play Mass Effect.

The Legendary Edition is missing 1 DLC but you can mod it back in on PC.

The Normal Editions look better. They made some really bad lighting choices, especially with Mass Effect 1.

The LE is the better option because it's so convenient and BioWare made some good changes to gameplay in ME1.

• 1 month later...

I've decided to play ME2 all the way through. I've beaten part 1 a few different times but I believe I've only beaten part 2 once in 2010. I'm playing on my deck and it looks so good. 

32 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

He’s used to playing games on consoles and steam deck, so I’ll allow it. 

Mass Effect Legendary probably runs at 800p on deck, so that’s a lot better than the 360p most console games run at these days 

46 minutes ago, stepee said:

Mass Effect Legendary probably runs at 800p on deck, so that’s a lot better than the 360p most console games run at these days 

I'm not exaggerating that it could pass as a current gen title. I understand it's because I'm playing on a smaller screen with it running at 800p.

If I were playing on console it wouldn't look as good. 

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Season 9 No GIF by The Office

lol it looks great I'm tellin you!

3 minutes ago, Best said:

I'm not exaggerating that it could pass as a current gen title. I understand it's because I'm playing on a smaller screen with it running at 800p.

If I were playing on console it wouldn't look as good. 

lol it looks great I'm tellin you!

I just installed it to refresh my memory.  About to see how good your eyes are.

1 minute ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I just installed it to refresh my memory.  About to see how good your eyes are.

But you don't own an OLED deck. It fuckin pops on that! Unless you're playing on an OLED monitor?

18 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

The game is obviously low poly with very low resolution textures.  The lighting looks terrible (relative to current gen games).  The aliasing is terrible.

It looks like a really awesome PS3-era game with HDR. 

:(

So I did some reading and decided to just play and beat Mass Effect 3. It's considered the best in the trilogy and technically it's superior.

You get a really good story synopsis of part 1 and 2 so I fully understand what's going on. 

I played 3 hours this morning and I'm completely hooked. Such an amazing game for 2012. 

Also, ME Legendary version is only $5.99 through the steam sale. Absolutely worth it. 

35 minutes ago, Best said:

So I did some reading and decided to just play and beat Mass Effect 3. It's considered the best in the trilogy and technically it's superior.

You get a really good story synopsis of part 1 and 2 so I fully understand what's going on. 

I played 3 hours this morning and I'm completely hooked. Such an amazing game for 2012. 

Also, ME Legendary version is only $5.99 through the steam sale. Absolutely worth it. 

If I were to replay this, I would start from the beginning. The story telling is mostly great until the last 2 hours of the series. 

20 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

If I were to replay this, I would start from the beginning. The story telling is mostly great until the last 2 hours of the series. 

You mean you would start by playing part 1 and go through each?

I read that initially the ending for part 3 was heavily criticized but after some patches the ending is more fleshed out?

14 minutes ago, Best said:

I read that initially the ending for part 3 was heavily criticized but after some patches the ending is more fleshed out?

The patches do little to fix the problem - the ending of the game is still shit. It's an amazing game until about the last 15-20 minutes if I remember correctly and then the game ruins everything, arguably the whole trilogy to some degree. Great game and great story otherwise (the game has the highest highs of the trilogy), but yeah.

• Sad 1
  • True 1

Just now, Greatoneshere said:

The patches do little to fix the problem - the ending of the game is shit. It's an amazing game until about the last 15-20 minutes if I remember correctly and then the game ruins everything. Great game and great story otherwise, but yeah.

Fuck that's terrible. Maybe since I'm not so invested with the story and characters (like carrying over my character to each game) I won't be as disappointed. 

Because the first 3 hours of part 3 is extremely good. 

4 minutes ago, Best said:

Fuck that's terrible. Maybe since I'm not so invested with the story and characters (like carrying over my character to each game) I won't be as disappointed. 

The game is great until then. The 180 is jarring in how poorly the end is handled compared to the rest of the game.

• Sad 1

I still think people exaggerate how bad the ending was. It wasn’t great but it’s whatever and doesn’t do anything to paint my impression more negative of the series.

ME2 is what I’d say most people consider to be the best one though.

20 minutes ago, Best said:

You mean you would start by playing part 1 and go through each?

Yes.  IMHO, it is one continuous story.

The first game is probably ~20 hours long, the second is probably ~30-35 hours long.

20 minutes ago, Best said:

I only played it after the patch.

4 minutes ago, Best said:

I really enjoyed everything up until the last few hours. 

The way the game ends (and there are multiple potential endings), IMHO is not great.

1 minute ago, stepee said:

I still think people exaggerate how bad the ending was. It wasn’t great but it’s whatever and doesn’t do anything to paint my impression more negative of the series.

I think ME3 was the best of the series, even though I found the ending to be one of the worst in the history of gaming.

My problems with it include how it resolves (and the mechanics of it), the ending story itself, and how they communicate it to you at the end.

That said, I hope to replay it one day.

Damn. Maybe I'll start with part 1 and play them all. 

11 minutes ago, stepee said:

ME2 is what I’d say most people consider to be the best one though.

It's debatable which is better between part 2 and 3. I was watching a lot of videos on this very topic. Obviously the ending for part 3 lowered the overall scores when comparing them.

18 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I think ME3 was the best of the series, even though I found the ending to be one of the worst in the history of gaming.

My problems with it include how it resolves (and the mechanics of it), the ending story itself, and how they communicate it to you at the end.

That said, I hope to replay it one day.

It’s not great but I guess I just didn’t have a good way to conclude it myself. I think looking back maybe the best thing to do was to not conclude it and let the reaper mystery linger more. But people acted like it ruined what is otherwise a really amazing game or even the entire series which is an all time GOAT and it just didn’t come close to doing that for me. 

I don’t really have a favorite myself besides gun to head I’d say ME1 because nothing matches being introduced to that universe the first time. I think of it all as one longer game at this point. 

1 hour ago, Best said:

It sounds like you've already played Mass Effect 1 and 2 in the past but in general it's important to remember when you're jumping into a series like this or Avatar that understanding what's happening is not the same as experiencing the hours of growth with the characters. A dramatic moment in the third film in a series won't mean much to someone who barely remembers the one time they saw the previous two films in a series (just as an example). I've found when I do bother to rewatch previous films in a series before watching the newest film that I care significantly more about what's going on in the new one because I still feel everything the character(s) went through previously because I just watched/experienced it again. I know this can't be done all the time but just wanted to point out that just knowing what's going on can still dull a lot of dramatic impact that you'll be missing out on.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

1 minute ago, Greatoneshere said:

It sounds like you've already played Mass Effect 1 and 2 in the past but in general it's important to remember when you're jumping into a series like this or Avatar that understanding what's happening is not the same as experiencing the hours of growth with the characters. A dramatic moment in the third film in a series won't mean much to someone who barely remembers the one time they saw the previous two films (just as an example). I've found when I do bother to rewatch previous films in a series before watching the newest film that I care significantly more about what's going on in the new one because I still feel everything the character(s) went through previously because I just watched/experienced it. I know this can't be done all the time but just wanted to point out that just knowing what's going on can still dull a lot of dramatic impact that you'll be missing out on.

Yea you're 100% correct. I'm going to start up ME1 in a few minutes. I do remember a lot from this one and really don't remember anything from part 2 and 3. But I'll take the advice of playing all 3 in a row. I absolutely have the time to do it. :p

• Hype 2

16 minutes ago, stepee said:

It’s not great but I guess I just didn’t have a good way to conclude it myself. I think looking back maybe the best thing to do was to not conclude it and let the reaper mystery linger more. But people acted like it ruined what is otherwise a really amazing game or even the entire series which is an all time GOAT and it just didn’t come close to doing that for me. 

I don’t really have a favorite myself besides gun to head I’d say ME1 because nothing matches being introduced to that universe the first time. I think of it all as one longer game at this point. 

Spoiler

1)  I think the ending should have been based on in game choices, rather than by picking one of three colours and having a slideshow to conclude things

2)  I think they should have had the endings planned out as part of the writing process of the third game.

• True 1
  • Halal 1