8. The Callisto Protocol

7. Saints Row Remake

6. Marvel vs Capcom Infinite

5. Redfall

4. Cyberpunk 2077 (initial release)

3. Babylon's Fall

2. Mass Effect Andromeda

1. P.T.

Interesting list... needs more Anthem doe.

• Thanks 1

• skillzdadirecta changed the title to Top 10 Gaming Disappointments of The Last 10 Years
Just now, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

There were absolutely no expectations for Skull & Bones.  Ergo, it simply cannot be classified as a "disappointment".

When it was first announced, after everyone loved AC IV -- there were really high expectations.  It was the 11 years of development hell that deteriorated those expectations.

• True 1

5 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

When it was first announced, after everyone loved AC IV -- there were really high expectations.  It was the 11 years of development hell that deteriorated those expectations.

You have a very different memory of the reception for that game than I do!

• True 1

9 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Red Dead Redemption 2

Star Wars Jedi Survivor 

Dragon's Dogma 2

Fallout 3

Borderlands 3

The Outer Worlds

No Man's Sky

I can agree with every game you listed except Jedi Survivor. It's simply a very good game. 

I get that some people were disappointed by games like Fallout 3, Red Dead Redemption 2 and Starfield, but most enjoyed those games and no way in hell should they be on any lists of most disappointing of all any year. Shit I'm sure we'd find folks who were "disappointed" by Breath of The Wild and Baldur's Gate 3. Doesn't mean most were.

I really don't like that list very much at all because for most of those titles, there simply was not enough of an "expectation" for them to ultimately warrant a sense of disappointment.

For me, disappointment is the manifestation of the shortfall gap between "expectations" and "reality".  Can anyone honestly say that they had significant enough expectations for Saints Row Remake, Babylon's Fall, or The Day Before to be actually disappointed in the final product?

• Halal 1

46 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I really don't like that list very much at all because for most of those titles, there simply was not enough of an "expectation" for them to ultimately warrant a sense of disappointment.

For me, disappointment is the manifestation of the shortfall gap between "expectations" and "reality".  Can anyone honestly say that they had significant enough expectations for Saints Row Remake, Babylon's Fall, or The Day Before to be actually disappointed in the final product?

So which games would be on your list by comparison? I'm curious. Also, expectations depend on perspective, I assume here we're talking gamers' expectations and not the developers' or the publishers' expectations for the game. 

Can P.T. really be on this list? Everyone (that got to play it) loved it! So it's possible that the fact that the project it was demoing was canceled is disappointing...that's not a reflection of the quality (and initial impact) of P.T. itself, right? 

It's like saying Mega Man Legends 3 was a disappointment. It never came out...which yes, is disappointing, but we can't say for certain if it the product itself would have been disappointing.

By this logic, we could say that the Vita was a disappointment. Which isn't totally fair; the Vita was actually pretty great! The loss of its potential is disappointing, though. 

Though I suppose both the Vita and MML3 are from further back in time than 10 years, so the statute of limitations applies...

11 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

So which games would be on your list by comparison? I'm curious. Also, expectations depend on perspective, I assume here we're talking gamers' expectations and not the developers' or the publishers' expectations for the game. 

I'll have to think about this for a bit, but from the original list, I'd say that only Cyberpunk 2077 (initial release) would qualify under my definition of disappointment.

• Halal 1

3 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Can P.T. really be on this list? Everyone (that got to play it) loved it! So it's possible that the fact that the project it was demoing was canceled is disappointing...that's not a reflection of the quality (and initial impact) of P.T. itself, right? 

It's like saying Mega Man Legends 3 was a disappointment. It never came out...which yes, is disappointing, but we can't say for certain if it the product itself would have been disappointing.

By this logic, we could say that the Vita was a disappointment. Which isn't totally fair; the Vita was actually pretty great! The loss of its potential is disappointing, though.

No, P.T. should absolutely not be included on this list at all.

• stepee 1

3 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Did you watch the video?